Found this grader on a small tripp today.(Drammen) Still in use by the sports club.... Needs some dupoint overhaul, but looks to be in desent shape. Has belonged to the local community. Some vandals have made their marks on some windows though. And as u can see, Cat is not the first to have tinted windows.. This 6 wheel drive is awesome, chains on all and ice is flying. There is no hydraulics driving theese front wheels!
More of it. Drop box is located just in front of the cabin. Boogie svings with its own turntable, like on Brians grader Solid controls. And instruments right beside your butt. And i bet that helmet with hearing protection is needed.
Fingertip controls. Rather good view out of it. Considering its got a axle going all the way to the front. Even got float system added. And warning lights in the middle of sight.
Great pictures! Different looking animal I must say.
Nice Photos. Hi, MKTEF. Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I once ran an Aveling Barford grader that weighed 20 tons and had a GM 6V71 engine at 250 hp. With 6x6x6, it had awesome pushing power but what impressed me most was its ease of handling around pegs and other small obstacles. It had micro-switches on each blade lift lever to steer the front left or right. This made it VERY easy to manoever around pegs and the like 'cos it was quite quick and you didn't even have to take your hands off the blade lift levers. I loved it.
Thanks Deas!:drinkup I didn't open the engine compartement, but next time i'll stopp and take some of the engine too. It looks like this one may have that type of stearing too. It got those red knobs on the lift levers on both sides... And some type of central above the stearing sylinder in post #3... They can be for the float system on each side, but i think the green switch is for that. I haven't had the oportunity to drive one, only got reports from other drivers operating one. They had one at a public operator school in the neighborhoods where i grew up. Drivers said it was awesome to do icegrading, with that 6wd.
It would be my guess that the red knobs would be the float as they are attached to each lift lever. That's just a guess though. Maybe when you re visit you'll find out.
6x6x6 puts grunt on the ground Hi, MKTEF. I've run several 6x6x6 graders now, the above mentioned Aveling Barford, a smaller and earlier Aveling Barford with a 90 hp Leyland diesel in it, a Clark with a dozer blade on the front and a rear ripper and, briefly, a Cat 140G with front wheel drive. Of all of them, I still think that 20-ton Aveling Barford stands alone as the best at putting its grunt on the ground. Having said that, the 'gong' for the grader with the most 'grunt-to-ground' that I have run still goes to the O&K G350, but it weighed 42 tons, had a 20 foot blade and was powered by an 855 Cummins giving 380 hp. I was boundary riding for 3 Cat 660B scrapers, maintaining their haul roads, keeping the fill in shape, ripping the borrow pit for them, occasionally fishing out bogged scrapers, cleaning up areas where the topsoil had been stripped by the scrapers and doing any other odd jobs that the foreman could come up with and that jigger just breezed through the lot. It had four ripper shanks across the back almost as long as a Cat D7E or F series dozer and could happily pull them at full depth in the clay that we were working in.
Aveling Barford had a four wheel grader back in the 60s that had 4W steer and 4W drive. It may have had a leyland motor (sorry, I forget), but was a handy machine for cleanups back then and could slog through slop that would belly-out an old 17A D7...........C ya .........Ray
Aveling Barford/Austin Hi, Ray. I remember those old 4x4x4 Avelings although all the ones that I saw were actually Aveling Austins, the 99H model. I remember them as having 3-53 or 3-71 GM's in them. And you're right, they would plow through a remarkable amount of mud, slop and sand. And they seemed to last pretty well too, although they are a bit like hen's teeth and rocking horse manure these days. I don't think I've seen one in the last 20 years or so. I also seem to remember that the Aveling Barford's were known by another name, some sort of combination of 'wanderlust' and illegitimacy. LOL.
Mr. I need parts for my Aveling Barford Motor Grader, ASG 113, 540 SERIES, V8 Engine. Engine number XC33553. I need the following: GEARBOX VIBRATION DUMPER OIL STRAINER ENGINE MOUNTINGS. I NEED THEM A.S.A.P. Can any one help please? Thanks. Charles
Parts Hi, PINECONST. Try here: http://avelingbarford.net/ You might also like to take a look through the list in the thread: to see if there are any suppliers there who can help. That list runs through two consecutive posts in the same thread. Good luck. Hi, Grader4me. I would not be surprised if those red buttons on the control levers in that ASG113 were remote steering buttons 'cos there's TWO of 'em, one each side. I think MKTEF might be right about the green button being the blade float. Just my 0.02.
Yes, you are probably right. Last grader that I run had a seperate float switch for each side. As a matter of fact I've never seen a grader that one float switch controled both sides. Different animal for sure.
Catch-up. Hi, Grader4me. Hey Boy, how yo evva gonna catch up if'n yo ohney put erp 2 posts an' Ah put erp 6 inna same tarm? LOL.
I have just read a lot of comments on the Aveling Barford graders ,and I thought there might be someone out there who can help me.I have a Aveling Barford 4x4 super series grader powered by a Perkins V8 it is somewhere around 1980 manufacture. I have been told it was made in Australia under licence from A.B. in the UK now whether that is correct ,I am not sure.Anyway I need a work shop manual for this machine ,hopefully one of you chaps can help.
DEAS, I saw a 4 wheel 99H sold at a clearing sale here in Victoria,a few years ago. I have an AB 99H operator manual,& have always been impressed with this informative book. I posted a few pages in a recent post.It covers operating principles for All-Wheel Drive Graders,specifically the 99H. Jim
MKTEF the next time you pass that grader see if you can get some pictures of the underside of the circle. AV's have circle that have no equal. When I lived in Canada I had a mid 70's Super MG which was about the same size. Great for snow plowing and cleaning wet ditches . Mine had a 6 cylinder Bedford GM hooked to a three speed Alison. The Bedford seized one morning and it took months and a fortune to get parts from the UK. In hind sight should have rebuild the 4-71 Detroit out of an old Austin Western I had, it would have bolted right up to that Alison.
Is the circle on a an AV different than the one on an Austin-Western? I thought AVs were just A-Ws built under liscense?
The circles were totally different. The Austins circle was open on the top as most graders are today. It had a circle lock on the right side. This lock was operated by what looked just like another brake pedal. It had a master cylinder and a line which ran down to a lock mounted on the inside of the circle teeth. You pressed down on the pedal which flipped the lock up, you turned the circle to the desired position, then locked it by letting up on the pedal. Aveling's circles were totally closed in on the top as you can see in some of the pictures. I think they even had grease nipples. Looking underneath, you will see a lot thicker steel than on any other grader. They also had a secondary ring which carried the weight rather than having it on the teeth. They had no lock.
Hi everyone, Chasing a Complete Diff Centre for an Aveling Barford MT Grader - Serial Number is MT-121 ...... anybody got any clues where I might find one .....
Aveling Barford ASG113
Всем привет, нужна информация о грейдере . Aveling Barford ASG113