I should say South Eastern, but you get the idea. I'm trying to figure out what I can get done once Dads life insurance pays out. I've been using the number of $6 a square foot in my calculations, but I got a quote yesterday of close too double that for a 40x75 6" thick. Just trying to find out where an appropriate range lies. Im only talking about the rebar work and pouring and finishing the concrete. The dirt work would be separate, I think I could do that myself. Thanks for any and all info as usual.
I've been throwing concrete on dirt and I figure $100 a cu/yd Also been going fiber reinforced, air entrained with admix to delay it during the hot months.
That's just for the concrete right? What about the labor for the crew to do finishing and set the forms/rebar? Is there some average square footage cost for the labor? Is the fiber renforcement supposed to replace the rebar or complement it?
I had a 24x32 poured, from start to finish, was 2800.00 Dirt, formed and finished w/ entry door pad a 10' drive-in ramp and additional compressor pad.. BUT, that was in SC..
well, might not need a lot of rebar if your soil is stable and you're not getting any freezing, how much weight are you putting on it? Setting forms, ususally just our local guys, shoot some lines, lay the string, tag down a crude form board along the edge and have pizza. You're putting down a good sized slab, form boards can be almost anything, even scrap plywood if you have enough stakes to drive in, a reinforcement block around the edge is a good idea. I go with the fiber to replace rebar and it works pretty well overall atop stable, compacted ground. Most rental places will be able to give you prices on bull floats and a power trowel, having someone to help is a plus, having experienced help is a win. If you're in the mind to farm it all out, any concrete contractor can give you a rough quote.
Here in Ireland cost for that job labour only would be, formwork €700.heavy steel mesh 8mm on spacers €1120. Concrete placing €1680. Power float finish €1400.rebar 16mm(5/8) €400 per tonne.price doesn't include site prep or hardcore.
With the prices I've seen for machinery rates in Texas I figured it would be much cheaper than that for concrete work, I'm at $5 a sq. ft. in IL for good concrete, thats them doing forms, grade work and finishing. I've seen prices as low as $2.00 for just pouring and finishing, no forming or grade work.
I'm afraid that ill have to hire most if not all out. Dad and were going to do it all ourselves, but now that ill be on my own, I don't think I can build much of anything right now. This shop would be somewhere to get the machine tools set up and get some farm equipment ready for the field. Heaviest machine would be 30,000lbs or so. The shop Dad and I were going to build was 100x150 with a couple of overhead cranes, I just don't think I'm ready for that right now. Eventually I'll build it. Ill need to get stuff organized and fixed before I could do something like that by myself though. Would anyone here know a good concrete guy that's in Houston? I know the guy I talked too a few days ago is good, but I can't afford him at $16/ft^2 to just pour and finish.
$16 bucks a SF to pour and finish? I moving to Houston and starting a concrete company if he's getting that on a regular basis.:cool2
You are very close at $6 a square foot for concrete , rebar , & labor assuming the pad is ready . Or just figure $300.00 per yard of concrete .
Wow, count me in too. We get a buck a foot to place and finish, $4 ft to set up/place and finish a 4 in slab, $5 for a 6 in. all with 4000 lb mud and #4 bar on 20 in centers
Ok thanks guys, I was afraid that I'd grossly understimated the price of concrete. But 50k for a 40x75 did sound kinda high. Has anyone been around a Mueller building? I found a quote they gave Dad for 45x80x16 with an open endwall and two 16' framed opennings for $25k. Its not as tall as I'd like, and havent completely figured out what I'll do for an overhead crane for the machine shop (I think I'd just have to live with a large rolling gantry for right now). Not at all perfect or what I need, but large enough for a start and the doors would be large enough I could get a combine in. What what do y'all think the charge would be for them too erect that building? I know asking them I'd find out for certain, but trying to get some numbers before I go talk to them in person.
Me and a friend built a shop up here in conroe, we originally had it quoted at $10 a sq ft for 6" poured, however it seems that the concrete business is about like the weather; ever changing. That price was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper once it came down to actually pulling the trigger. Id ask a local contractor that you trust when its below a certain cost and plan on it then.
Mind PMing who did the work? I might be too far for them, being I'm pretty far south in Fort Bend county. I was given a list from Mueller of contractors to call. I'll see if I can get a quote next week. I saw an ad for a guy that building pole barns, he could do a 40x60x16 with open end walls, 6" of concrete for 28k. Even though I really don't like posts in the ground, the speed and low cost of a pole barn are attractive. I'm trying to find a ballence between getting enough of a building where I can do something, but saving enough so I can afford the machines I still need in order to building the real shop. I have most of the major stuff, but eventually will need a dozer, compactor and either someing to drive pilngs or drill large piers.