Not something I know anything about... A friend is looking at re gravelling his lot which has regular frequent use by all kinds of heavy equipment. Is anyone aware of the costings for regular maintenance of gravel lots, say by the square yard or other measure? Taken into consideration would be grading/floating, gravel, equipment wear and tear etc? I'd be guessing but I'd say the area would be somewhere near 2square kms or 1.2square miles ish. Thanks in advance for anyone's help
Yair . . . simonsrplant Wow! That's a big gravel yard!! Folks here can help but I reckon they'll need more info, that is to say . . . Is it reasonably flat, was the gravel properly laid with compaction and drainage, what type of gravel, specifically what is the yard used for, is it divided into bays for storage of equipment with designated thickened roads and so on. As always pictures would help. Cheers.
Are you certain??? Just some quick math says that it would take approx. 86,000 CUBIC YARDS of gravel PER INCH of thickness, not including compaction. Around here, average cost of Class 5 is $6 per cubic yard.
That's almost a section and a 1/4. In Alberta you're looking at at least $300 a tandem truck load for 3/4" road crush delivered but that depends on how close the gravel pit is. You'd want trucks and quad trailers or end dumps for that much gravel. I think the gravel pit would give you a good deal though when you're buying several million bucks worth! The gravel pit that has helped me at my MX track donated 3 large loads of gravel screenings for my shop floor and driveway which is similar to road crush and it was worth about $1500.
Hey Dave.. What ever happened to Ol' Drunky?? Lol Is he still hanging around?? Did you give him the boot..
2 square KM = .77 square miles =200 hectares = 494 acres. Never seen anything like that. If it was 2,000 square meters, that would be half an acre, a very reasonable size gravel lot. Either way, there's lots of factors, the biggest is your local price for gravel and the subsoil underneath. Also, is this going to be driven on during the thaw, how flat does it have to be maintained, how much are soft spots from mud working up going to be a problem. Is it going to be built all at once, or can rubble be dumped as available to expand.
He still goes out but I don't let him use any of my equipment and I think he knows he's walking a very thin line. I'm pretty sure his wife has tuned him in too. If he pulls even the slightest stunt again he's gone and I think he knows it.
It's a good size plot for sure... in conjunction with a farm and other earning uses puts it into perspective tho. Gravel cost without question appears to be up there... I'll share that and do a few quick sums on actual area and volume of material/coverage. So to those who may know, is there any way of prolonging the life of spread gravel before it spreads into the dirt or blows away?
Don't know if it is available to you but I have a customer who gets asphalt grindings to spread as a top coat on an equipment yard. The yard is sitting on river silt so that eventually works its way through as dozers and excavators turn themselves all kinds of new holes but the stuff does get hard over time and holds a surface longer than anything they have tried so far. Sometimes they get the grindings for free and just stock pile it on site to add as needed.
Geotextile fabric, or start with coarse rock (demo'd concrete slabs even) and add gravel on top to keep the mud from boiling up in the spring. Economical???
John C and Demer, two very good ideas... they will be added to the discussions With thanks!
How are the existing ground conditions?
Its a little dirty but concrete truck washout packs up as hard as anything I have ever used. A light cover of clean gravel on it cleans up the white tracking. The road to my shop across wet ground is built out of it and it cost me $.50.00 a yard with me loading myself with my loader at the local ready mix plant.