How about a fresh thread about the new season of Ax Men, the History Channel series now airing in the USA. http://www.history.com/shows/ax-men Here is a link to the thread about the previous seasons. From the History Chan website Can anyone fill in some of the machines featured this year, perhaps Contract Logger can give us some history on them. HeavyEquipmentForums
Just watched this seasons first episode. Looks like its going to be a good series and they have redeamed my interest in the show. I like the Alaska stuff but what the hell is Jimmy doing back?
I feel cheated. Seriously. ointhead Papac looks like a pretty good outfit. I swear the road builder and the younger guy were about to bust out laughing when they were first yellin. Also, like how 2' minus is gravel and the lowboy is a portable shelter.:lmao
I only got to see the last 15 minutes, just enough to see the rygaard rejects dumping some logs on their 'new' yarder. This will be interesting, I hope they spend most of the time with Jay Browning's crews....as long as they stay away from Jesse.
It is the new WWE. I hope they keep it real this season and none of that scripted non-sense. I doubt it though.
I doubt it too. I watched it last night and it was worse then last year.
Ya, good one!
Does anyone know a good website that I can download the episodes. I can watch it on TV here in the Stan.
History has the newest one up on their website. http://www.history.com/shows/ax-men/videos/ax-men-alaska#ax-men-alaska
seen the new one... I tend to agree that every reality show is pretty much scripted. Now they have a girl.. ala ice road truckers.. Next season "girl loggers of India" and Lisa will be back to drive the logging truck
You know it is kinda like a train wreck you gotta look. But I would like to see them spend some more time on brownings crew, they seem more professional than the rest. especially good ol Jimmy. that guy is a joke. but the alaska stuff should be good watching to.
I wonder if they decided to not do the Lemare Lake crew after all, or maybe they will roll them out later in the season?
If they don't it will because they didn't yell enough, knew what they were doing, and were entirely too professional a crew to be on ax men. :lmao
I heard Lemare comes into the picture down the road. I cannot wait. Cant believe it as they will have to break the BC law to satisfy the Tv crews, lol. Just my hunch but they probably come in late as they will surpass the total load count in 6 episodes. Alaska seems good too. What kind of yarder is the Mean Bean? I like Brownings crew for the most part.
What law, I must have missed something.
in bc we not only have workers comp rules we also have( worksafe) companies for forestry ops , lots of red tape and i wouldnt think any bc company would want to be filmed breaking the millions of rules that are in the workplace .
That is probably why they are coming in later, all the footage is on the cutting room floor.
he heh i have a nice bunch of pics to show ...but i wasnt wearing a brain bucket soooo guess i better keep them to myself ........
Most of those guys on Axemen wouldn't last ten minutes on the BC coast and most of the guys I know wouldn't work ten minutes for any outfit on Axemen. Good for a laugh though.
Just watched the first half of an episode online. Worksafe BC would shut those operations down in a heartbeat. The two fallers working side by side would both be fired before lunch in BC. Two tree lengths apart minimum is the least of the requirements. I don't think either one of them would pass WCB's faller certification. I doubt if either one of them even own a wedge. Pihl's logging crew wouldn't last long either. I don't know any chokerman that would stick around after the hooktender blew signals to go ahead while the crew was still hooking the turn. Cartwheeling and breaking logs is not only dangerous as Hell, its hard on the rigging and it damages high value timber. Nobody seems to give a damn on any of these crews.
You sure got that right!
Dear god, please Jimmy stop trying to represent the NorthWest loggers. Those idiots at S & S got shut down in Wa state by the government, and run out of town. I can only hope FL will do the same before they kill someone. That towing accident on tonights show was careless, but then having his kid stand in front of the boat like that??? I thought for sure he was going to break his kids leg. How big of a deal is the dent in the tube on the Mean Bean? It did not look too bad. On the Papac set up, I was confused by the anchor stump. It had a pully on it and looked like it was pulling cable through it. Was that a haulback anchor? Also the line did not look meaty enough for a skyline.
all of the danger sence are staged last year when the log pile rolled on the green horn for rygaard it took 3 hour to get the right angle and they had to stack the pile rip it down and restack it 5 times cuz it wouldnt fall right so i dont beleave one bit of that show it a good so dont get me wrong but there isnt that much danger all the time
I was always told god blesses the the dumb and the drunk
Man is that show getting worse. Kinda funny that they had 3 cameras mounted near the trailer hitch. Looks like Jimmy must be making money. Probably from selling t-shirt, b/c it sure itsn't from logging. He has a new truck and a new boat. Also, what the hell is up with that Shelby guy. I can't believe he doesn't get shut down for being such a idiot. Trying to blow the log out of the mud was a complete disaster.
yeah if you look close you can see that the tounge is already bent in the close up shots from under the tounge.
What do you guys think about the new show Gold Rush??? It comes on Fridays after Swamp Loggers.
I like it, i am sure that MSHA is going nuts watching it. It is going to be interesting to see how they manage things. I suspect they will run out of money before they get set up well enough to actually do much. The personalities are over the top and i suspect that is scripted. They mentioned needing 1000 gal a min for there wash plant. I am kinda curious where they are gonna put that kinda water when they are done with it. Hopefully not straight back into the river. On a safety and environmental front, looks like a train wreck is coming.
Ive been watching it but its kinda like watching a train wreck. they have already swing their ex into at least 2 vehicles, nearly crushed the little gatator they had carried across the river once they realized it could only cross 2' of water. I dont know what the idea there was either, the 400 already has 5-6' before water is too high, plus you have this big scoopy thingy infront of you that you can stick in the water to check depth before crossing. Its interesting anyways.
I wonder who these shows are being taped for? Must be part of the government stimulus program otherwise they would all be out of buisness for safety violations. Fred
I'm glad you guys see the rediculas actions of the Gold Rush crew! I live in Haines and am a 36 year member of IUOE Local 302. They are total idiots! We need a thread just for them. Yes, it is very scripted.
Scritped and contrived ...but I still like it There were half a dozen cameras mounted on Jimmy's new boat and trailer when they lost it. Were we not supposed to know what was going to happen?
Good idea on the thread since we hijacked this one.
Why else would there be a camera on the tailgate facing down on the hitch and one facing the bumper from under the trailer? O ya and where is the text book on how to stop a trailer when you dont lock it on the ball?
Cletus the oldman on the gold rush crew I would have sent him down the road kicking cans and counting houses. He's about as dangerous as the bears are. If he ever worked for me he would be done quickly.Just a bullheaded old bustard. My uncle is buried at Ft. Richardson.
I had to laugh when he said that, and it makes me wonder how many times he has had a trailer come off the ball, going down the road, I would guess that it was not the first or the last time that will happen. And then is James just a dumb as his dad, there would be no way I would work with him if he treated me the way he did when he went to work for collins without him.
Hopefully they do come in later. It's been three episodes in and they haven't even shown Browning yet
Did anybody else notice tonight how many times Pihl's yarder had a different carriage hanging of it? At first they had a Acme, then they were running some butt rigging. Next scene shows a shotgun carrriage then there was a big blue car of some kind, kinda looked like a Bowman. I know there are some real dummies out there just eating up this show, and have no clue about any of the work thats going on. But come on. Do they think we are all that stupid? The show is good for a laugh, thats for sure!
I even see 2 different 071's with Pihl. Lots of different rigging- everything imaginable, and 2 different yarders there. He must have 2 going and they're bouncing between them. And Rygaard- 8 freakin' hours for a road change!!?? I've seen whole crews fired for less, and I have NEVER heard of a road change taking that long. If I had a 3,500' road change coming up I'd have had 2 people go make that layout a week ahead. It isn'y rocket science and you CANNOT shut a whole side down due to poor planning. Well, you can- but you'll be broke soonafter. You only get 22 logging days a month. If he had to use the helicopter he still should have laid that haywire out days ago..... I wonder how much the 'Channel' is paying these people to make up for all the production loss.......? Hopefully a ton of money. I watch it and just go nuts. I had to turn it off way early tonight..... Sorry for the rant. Axe Men reminds me of grade school, not of logging.
I wish that Shelby would have blown himself up already. I am getting really sick of him. Building pipe bombs on TV. Where in the hell is OSHA and the ATF. I can't believe that these clowns haven't been shut down. The only real loggers on that show are Browning, and they haven't even been shown yet. I wonder if Vince McMahon is part owners of the History Channel.
I heard Mike Pihl speak at the OLC two years ago and he told the group that the History Channel was going to help him buy a second 071. This could be a decent show if they didn't script it and "set up" all the BS. Also get rid of the other couple of bozos.
I would like to see them do away with the that shelby guy and the other river loggers they just are not that interesting, unless someone gets there arm bit off by a gator or something. I mean you gotta be kinda of a joke if you can not not even afford to take your dog to the vet. Maybe shelby should spend less money on drugs and put some into the bank!
Van wa missing for 1 night in the woods and when they got to him he looked like he just got out of the hotel
I thought that kinda was fishy too. You think he would have been cold or hungry. They stood there and bs'ed like it was the beginning of the work day.
It seemed like he was only a few hundred yards from the boat landing. He also looked awful rested up for being out in the woods for a couple days. Maybe Contract Logger could shine light on some of these PNW logging outfits.
Well, I only watch it on the computer as we don't have TV. The wife though has forbidden me to watch it any more, as I start to rant too much. She reminds me it is cheap entertainment for those who don't know and probably don't want to know. She says I start sounding like a hooker again and I get too loud and boisterous.
So tell me. Are there really people like those swamp loggers in Florida and Louisiana? They act like they have been out in the swamp too long. I mean, we've got some pretty haywire rednecks up here in northern BC (me included) but nothing like that. Just wondering.
Boy, if they really exist, lets keep them there. Perhaps put a fence around the place and charge admission. I agree, I have seen some strange hands up here in the NW, but nothing like down there.
That's the South for ya'
Yes to all that, and the other regular anachronism is when the highball is given. A close up view of the exhaust stack is shown which is a standard verticle pipe with the flapper rain trap, (got to be stock footage) then they cut away to a landing shot of the yarder and it has a right angle elbow stack. Still watch for a laugh thou and the scenery is excellent. Got this pic around 92/93, Eugene I think - perhaps a star in the making.
the show is a joke
^^^ Speaking of JM Browning, where the heck is he??!! Is the History Channel waiting on Stupid and Stupid Aqua Logging to drown before bringing him out? Good Lord I cant stand that idiot Jimmy. I DVR the show, just so I can fast forward through it when hes on!
Ax Men 2010-2011 season: I did that too, for awhile... but it still lasted too long... :lmao I finally gave up... I just can not stand to watch it. Had my Wife record three of the "Gold Rush" episodes, too... with the same results. I finally gave up... I just can not stand to watch it. OCR... lol
Did you guys see that other new show Snowmen about a bunch of guys keeping a highway to a ski resort open? Same idea... Waste of time.
I think it was canceled before the first episode was done airing...
atlest that woman can handle a saw, maybe browning will make her apart of his team! yeah that snow man show was dull has heck
OMG! Did you see that? Old man Rygaard taking the slack out of the skyline....
I know, here's OSHA when you need them! Will Browning appear this episode? So far five episodes without them :-(
Good Lord! That stunt ole man Rygaard pulled was STUPID! That looked like something Jimmy would do. Why not remove the car and hang some butt rigging on there? And Shelby telling the vet he had never fed his dog dog food! I would'nt be surprized to see Sara McLaughlin show up next week to take his dog away! Jimmy, James, Joe and Swilly in the Great Swanee River J**K Off. Please make them stop! They are wasting to much of my time fast forwading the DVR!
I suppose the whole world thinks every logger in the United States presents himself like these dill weeds do . Its a shame but from this logger and every other logger I know we are like everyone else in this world hard working and just trying to make it a little better down the road for ourselves.
I dont know anyone who would work for that Rygard outfit.
Don't worry... They are probally saving the best for last.
Looks like JM Browning will be on next week, guess the History Channel is stretching it out longer this year and Browning's didn't want to deal with a longer filming deal so they only signed on for a partial year. Hopefully they will ditch some of the other crews as well and put Lake LeMare on as well soon. Looks like they will also be doing the Alaska barging outfit on as well pretty soon.
Pretty sure it's just the crazy chocker setter from JM Browning going to work for Rygaard. Must have missed being on TV.
Just when a person cant hardly stand to watch they do do something great. The barge crew was neat, i like to see stuff like that, it gat me revived in to the show. It helped they did not show that much of the auqa logging, or maybe that was my dvr. Anyways what did you guys think of the barge crew? And when are they going to show browning?
I thought the barge outfit was pretty cool. The best thing was they were telling Dustin how to do what needed done without yelling all the time. And it didn't sound like Morse code when they were explaining to him what to do.
yep liked the barge,that was great to see how that was done.
Is that the one that got new teeth and looked like Woody Harelson ? Also, Dustin on the barge crew, didn't he work for Pihl ?? I remember his old man was a tree faller for Pihl and was the boozer.
yeah Dustin was was on Phil crew and he was a mouthy little $#@t. And he was sent packing cause he was not getting enough turns to the deck. Then his dad quit because he had his feelings hurt when his son was fired. I hope he learned a lesson about doing what he is told by the guy signing his check. Because if he got fired off the barge it would be a long swim.
lol I like Shelby. Crazy mofo but I think he's smarter than he sounds. I got to hand it to him for keeping that kludge running. But doesn't he sink it next episode? Probably did it for the cameras. Hope the producers pay him for it.
Looks like the good old boy Jimmy is not too bright. http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/02/15/1546286/state-accuses-ax-men-logger-of.html
I had lunch with my mom yesterday and she was telling me she saw this on a news ticker on Fox. What a freaking moron! A couple weeks ago, he was going off on his kid about being lazy and not wanting to work. Just knock some chick up and let the state pay for it! Isn't that kinda what he was doing? Letting the state pay for him? I hope they throw the book at him.
If ( a big if) Jimmy dad had an 8th grade education and was twice as smart as Jimmy. That would mean Jimmy has a 4th grade education. What a dump son of gun. I cant wait for his next screw up, kind of waiting to watch for a train wreck or a car crash at NASCAR.
Hahaha, just watching the show and Jimmy dislocated his shoulder. Maybe he'll file for another claim.
Finally Lake LeMare and JM Browning are on next week!
Did anyone else think that the scene of the tail hold tree falling looked funny? I replayed on the dvr and I think it was enhanced to look scarier. Not that a tail hold falling over is not bad enough. It just looked funny was wondering if anyone else thought that. And I am excited about the next week, glad to see Browning and Lake Lemar. Now maybe wee will see some logging and less cat fights.
They had Lemare on a different TV show a couple of years ago, and they broke WCB regs right on camera. Looked like a pretty haywire outfit.
http://www.history.com/shows/ax-men/videos/lemare-lake-logging#lemare-lake-logging an interesting clip off of the axemen website showing some LLL stuff, for those who havent seen it yet anyways.
Anybody watch Axmen last night with Lemare? I thought grapple yarding with big Madill's and Cypress's were all the rage up there? Yet they made it seem like they only did carriage work and hardly ever did grapple work. Or is this another instance of Axmen creative editing?
When you are logging uphill without a mobile backspar, you use the carriage. Grapple yarding and rigging trees is a slow painful way to move wood. Its real easy to pull over a tree with a running skyline. Twice as much pull on the backend as a live skyline or any other setup.
Yea its ax men creative editing. My dad works for lemare and was up there and they wanted them to run the carriage over the grapple which they always use. The tail hold tree got pulled over on purpose to make a good storey.
I was pretty impressed how the foreman handled the guy that drove the truck off the road, and even more impresssed how they got it out.
Sounds typical, wonder if they got paid to slow down their production by doing stupid stuff?
The foreman reminds me of some of the side rods I've worked with. Getting that pick-up out, and having it drivable afterward, was a good piece of work.
Sure seems like if they were that dependent on the carriage as they say they are, they would have spares being way up north of Vancouver Island? It's not like it's one of the super expensive Boman sky cars? Then all of a sudden Steve got really good with the grapple, seems mighty suspicious...
Personally, I think the show went downhill after season 1. I would be more interested in just the logging on the west coast and Alaska and Canada. The rest of it I could do without, including the stupid drama. At least in the first season what was shown was more realistic, instead of something out of a lame reality show.
What kind of forklift does shelby have?