I have a 2006 Volvo ECR88 that I am servicing now and I am going to shim the axaial play/clearance on the boom/dipper and bucket linkage since there are a lot of play in some places. So; how much axial play/clearance do you leave at the different linkages and at the cylinders when shimming? Thanks for answers!
We usually have shims of 2,3 and 5 mm thick and personally I just fit whatever combination of those fits the gap, and try to have them on the side that looks most natural, or some on both sides if this seems what is needed. I don't go to far with thinking about it, just whatever fits the gap, as unless you have re-bush or machined it somehow, it is not very flat surface so i just aim to take the slack out. That's how I see it at any rate. All the best, John.
Ok, thanks a lot for the answer! How much radial slack/diameter difference is seen as normal, and how much is the slack when it is seen as excessive and one should rebush and change pins?
In my manual for my 3 ton komatsu excavator it said the max clearance limit between all the pins and bushings is 1mm, and said to make sure the boom and arm are shimed so that there is less than 1mm gap. But in my experience 1mm of wear in the bushings is really slopy (atleast in a 3ton) and the bushings i replaced on my boom to swing bracket were only worn 0.4mm when i replaced them. My pins on my boom/arm and boom/swing were not worn at all because the bushings were brass so just put them back in. Its not a bad idea to check your machine before you buy pins and bushings in case its just one part that's worn. The last shim i put in my boom i had to tap in with a hammer, i think no clearance is best.