I need to replace the s-cam bushings on my 2000 Sterling Dump truck. Replacing brake shoes too. Question is: What is the proper torque procedure for the hub torque if using a Axiloc nut? And #2 are all the wheel seals two part seals or are they available as one piece? Thanks for the info
Axiloc was a terrible design, if wing locks get damaged upon removal the nut is junk. Were know to fail. The later Con Met with safety snap ring design is the common now. When I find a hub with Axiloc I remove the spacer and replace with the two nut and two locking washer style used for years and set preload at zero. Part #'s for those are E2467, E2304 for locking washers, E2303, E2305 for inner and outer nuts. Wheel seal #CR 47697 use driver tool 435 to install seal The final torque for Axiloc is 200 lb ft. https://www.macleanfoggcs.com/assets/1/7/axilok_wall_poster2.pdf
That 200lb. final torque is only if it has the spacer installed, right? Mine have no spacer in the hub. Only the Axiloc nut. And thank you for the part numbers
Correct, which means someone has been in there if no spacer. Which is a scary deal using the Axiloc in that manner. Axiloc was the first generation.
May as well add the Con Met Preset hub also, very common on anything 2015 up. https://conmet.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/10041586-.pdf
Found a Axilok wall poster that explains the install. Says to torque to 200 lbs then back off 1/2 turn then re-torque to 75 lbs then back off 1/8 turn. and gives end play spec. Says nothing about a inner spacer. I think the inner spacer is only used in the Con Met hub with the set it and forget it set up.
I think I'll go back to the old style locking nut and washer though. Seems pretty foolproof to me.
There is a spacer, I had a pile of spacers in the scrap bin from changing to the two nut/washer style. But don't throw all the spacers away, work great in a press for pass through.