Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Axle Cap removal 943

Dickjr. ยท 2017-02-19 13:53

Well folks here we go again. I have a blown drive hose and naturally it blew in the bottom of a muddy pond. I planned to remove the axles take the dozer and pull it up on a suitable area to change out the hose. I got one axle out no problem and the other , I can't get the cap off. I heated with a small torch and beat and banged for 3 hours. The cap is not tapped so you can use the bolt to push it off. If I get it off I am going to tap it this time for sure. The small torch was a map gas , seems like I was told you had to get it hot to melt the sealer so the cap would let loose. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The hose itself doesn't look to bad to change its opposite the starter side. Also noticed the motor mount bolts are loose but I hope replacing the bolts cures that problem.

Replies8
  1. #1Dickjr.2017-02-20 22:26

    Today was better , got the axle out. heated the cap with oxy acet torch. Made a 3 prong tool to help turn it. Got it out of the mud jacked up and hose off. Called Whayne / Walker to make sure they had hose parts, they said they did. Drove up got there at 3:50 this afternoon. My ends were usable but they only had 1 sleeve. Back to Lexington in the morning to get hose , 12 gallons of 10W , 3 seals , 12 bell housing bolts. I wonder how many papers I'd have to sign to just go on and get a 953D.

  2. #2Dickjr.2017-02-21 19:53

    Went back to get hose , I noticed on my bill they charged me for two ends. Yesterday my ends were "good". They guy in the hose shop told me he broke the ends trying to get them out of the old hose. They were 90$ apiece. Got back in town and got under the loader about 2 this afternoon , came out at 6. Hose on bell housing bolts replaced , new fuel filter , cleaned fuel screen , new oil filter. Tapped axle covers to allow for a push bolt for future removal. Got to clean belly pans check a few things and its in the hole again. While at Whayne , I cruised the lot. There was not a track loader on the lot. I just can't believe even for rentals they don't have one. I did meet a 953D on the Parkway headed towards Lexington on the way home.

  3. #3DMiller2017-02-23 08:02

    Our machines go from unpopular to being the most prevalent machine on the sites, odd how that works. Grade company here in town had almost completely swapped to tracked excavators, had a few odds/ends of small dozer and smaller loaders, now have switched back to around 50/50 exc to loaders and dozers.

  4. #4CM19952017-02-23 08:43

    When I bought my 321DL used from the dealer it was a two page Cat Financial document with one signature. Be careful, they'll put you in one before you know it..

  5. #5Dickjr.2017-02-23 20:40

    CM the market area I'm in won't support a 2 to 3K payment. I wish it would. Where as you do commercial jobs there's just not that much growth here. The other problem is there are several different guys doing this type work. Your in a hotter area. It would be great to have a couple decent years then do some upgrades. My 43 will do what I need done so long as it stays in one piece. To be honest I kind of like the damn thing, I think.

  6. #6CM19952017-02-24 06:42

    I understand that, my sentence was as much of a warning as advice. My 321 pays off this year and all I'll have is a CTL payment. Looking forward to a few good years with decent equipment, low payments and put some change in the piggy bank.

  7. #7Dickjr.2017-02-24 22:44

    CM , yes sir we think a lot alike. I like money in my pocket , not the suppliers. One thing I have going , or it seems to be , the versatility I have with my machinery and past work completed seems to be gaining me more work. I'm glad for you to be doing well , one of my inspectors told me the other day " you made it thru the down time in the economy and I here your name daily now " It was a good feeling. This person is retiring and we have had a good relationship. Same applies to you , your doing something right. On the other hand , I am being trained on track loader repair. I miss old Bob.

  8. #806Pete2017-02-24 22:48

    I have always had cat replace the reusable ends for free if they broke while they were changing them. They have replaced both ends and sleeves before free. I think I would at least question that as my cat dealer is not known for giving handouts.