Guys, We have a 953 A model that we have owned for probably 15 years anyway. We have 2 963s and dad still has his first 955L. My question is our 953A seems gutless and I am wondering if the B models were a step better in power with the 6 cylinder. I realize its 110 hp rated vs the 955L at 130 but the 955L seems like it would push a house compared to the 53. Obviously hard to compare to the 63s which are both A models also but they both have nuts. We have had a lot of issues over the years with the 53s 3204. I think dad put a cylinder head on it probably 10 years ago and we've put two turbos on it for sure in the last 3 years probably. I am wondering if I expect too much out of our 953 or they just didn't have much power? The machine is wonderful for tight quarters/residential work because it is so much more nimble than the 63 or 55L, but we do a fair amount of farm work, tree clearing and demo and if there is room obviously the 63 is the choice. Thanks in advance. I'll post pictures for the guys like me who are queer for looking at tractor pics....
If you stall it into a pile of dirt and the engine dies or the tracks won't spin then either way, it has a problem.
I realize that. My real question is if the B models were a step change in power?
Maybe you should have specified the questions a little better. Cmark is well versed in these machines and a great asset to this forum.
To answer your question in straight figures, the 3204 in the 953 is 110hp, the 3116 in the 953B is 120hp, so, yes, more "power" but not that much more. "Power" is a calculated figure and is relatively meaningless when applied to diesel engines designed to run at a set RPM. Torque and torque-rise are what we need to get work done. What makes you think there is a problem; The engine dies? Low ground speed? Tracks stall when pushing hard? Or something else?
The feel of the machine. With our 963 or 955 when pushing into a pile you can easily roll the bucket as you push and heap it full before the machine what I would call runs out of "power" or hydraulic power dead ends. It doesn't stall to the point you kill it just seems to power out fast. I understand that the Bs are rated 10 hp more but is it very noticeable? I apologize for not being clear with my question.
OK. So you should check your hydraulic main relief pressure. The system is a bum-basic open centre with a vickers vane pump. The test point is on the pump delivery port. Connect a gauge and stall out one of the circuits. You should get around 3000psi.
The push power as noted by Cmark is not indicative of a issue within hydraulics. You are experiencing hydrostat slip, the 963 machines are quite a bit heavier with more umph within their hydraulic systems than your 953. As to my experience with the A, B and even the C they all lack push power, they will dig fine, they can load a full bucket but they are not mechanical systems able to slip tracks when the going gets tough as they will more often stall the hydraulics than slip a track if good footing is present. Same holds true for the Deere or Liebherr units. I want to shove a tree over I retrieve a large powerful torque converter drive machine, I want to dig one out to a point of push over then a 953 is fine.
My rule of thumb , if it will cram the bucket full in moderately heavy material , its doing what its designed to do. I did have low power on my 943. It was the canister screen and fuel filter. It took changing the filter every 40 hours or so about 4 times to get it back to normal. The other thing , I can slow my crawl speed and it will keep on pushing until it spins or dirt rolls out far enough you can see it piling.