Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Axle spreads on West Coast/ California trailers

3thirteen ยท 2010-01-08 18:35

I have been following the End dump and Low boy threads. There are some sharp rigs out there. I noticed that a lot of the trailers from the west coast or california in particular have axle spreads on the rear tandems. What is the reason behind the spread? I think they look pretty cool (murray makes a nice trailer) but you never seem them up here in the great white north. :drinkup

Replies2
  1. #1rigandig2010-01-08 20:46

    three13, I don't believe that the spread axle trailers are specific to Ca or the west coast. They are used nation wide here. The basic premise is that with a 10'1' (commonly referred to as a 10' spread) spread axle , the bridge laws are such that you can load the axles as individual axles,ie;20k per axle on the tralier without an oversize/overweight permit. That is of course staying within the max gross weight allowed for the vehicle/combination. It made it much easier to place a load on the trk/trl without being over on any axles by loading heavier towards the rear of the trl. Hope this answers your question.

  2. #2prenn1984@gmail2010-01-08 23:28

    riganddig hit the nail on the head:thumbsup