Greetings, Curious as to whether anyone here has had any dealings with B & D Equipment in Glendive MT. We have been looking for a tractor and they appear to have some nice ones. We have some experience with larger equipment ( a drott and a JCB skid steer), (husband was a civil engineer and he can operate damn near anything) and we have spoken with someone supposedly at B & D, but there are some oddities - like phone number's not matching, addresses not matching and my husband's "spidey sense" alarms are being triggered. They seem to have answers to our questions. We would hate to pass up something that we could really use at a reasonable price and we would equally hate to tag someone as a scam, if they are not. If anyone has any opinions or thoughts, I would appreciate them. Thank you.
Who they are is hidden, but their website is new as of 8/3/2021 - I'd guess scam. https://www.whois.com/whois/bd-equipmentsales.com Joe H
If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.
We are thinking that as well. We 've dealt with brokers in the past for other kinds of equipment (mostly printing presses and logging stuff) and sometimes they are a little out there. Just curious as to whether anyone else had dealings with them. Thank you both for responding.
Scam - the sales prices for their used equipment are ridiculously low. A Volvo 350 with 3800 hours for $28,000? Sure...
The photo on their website does not match the air photo views of their facility on Google Maps. I would be very careful.
Yea a lot of things don't add up. Prices are way too low. Sales sales tax is included it says, but Mt. doesn't have sales tax. I couldn't find any info on the company that is in the pic with the sales manager. Maybe someone who lives in that area will respond. It would be interesting to speak to them and hear first hand what their story is. You could contact Mt BBB and see what they have to say as well.
I think these kind of scams are pretty common, There was one listed in the Tri-Cities not far from me that was bogus.
The first rule of buying is don't buy sight unseen from halfway across the country unless you can afford to lose
A company here that sells shipping containers, had an off shore scammer, overlay their website, and announce a big sale on newly arrived sea cans for a crazy low price. Cash up front. At least 15 people fell for it, and when they tried to call the number to see where there purchase was, the number was no longer in service. When they went to the actual company, they found out there were scammed out of their money
Welcome to HEF, Elizabeth ! They are so phony from what I see here that I won't look at their website. I would even advise you to clear your browser stored cookies !
A couple months back two guys I work with got smoked by a similar scam from m&s equipment out of Missouri, somebody pirated an old site and offered the same too good to be true deals..No legit phone number,everything was to be done by e-mail, also no credit cards cashiers check or money order only sent to citibank acct. in NYC..how many red flags do you need? turns out it's some scumbags out of Iceland that the FBI is fully aware of and the site stayed up for at least another month after several BBB alerts were posted..Got my coworkers for 28,000 combined..I remember a Stihl website on ebay some time ago that also had "fantastic" deals on new saws that was also a Cashiers check/ money order deal as well, hmmmm.......EDIT the company in question was m& s equipment traders out of Independence Iowa. I think there is a legit M&S equipment out of Missouri, Sorry for the bad info..I originally posted buyer beware thread here Apr 25, 21 with the correct info and just reread the post...oops
No different than the Craigslist equipment adds with a nice condition 2014 CTL with 800 hours advertised for $7,500. Only a dumbass would think you could buy that machine for that price.
Thank you to everyone who replied (even the person who pretty much called me a "dumbass"). My husband wasn't so much looking at price, but the reversible station control and front and rear PTOS that the Fendt had, primarily because our driveway is about 1/2 mile long and he wasn't looking forward to driving backwards with a rear mounted snow blower. We considered putting a snow blower on our JCB skid steer, but it doesn't have a high flow hydraulic system. Anyhow, going to look at a Massey Ferguson later this week, with the potential for putting a front mount snow blower on, powered off the rear PTO. My husband and I will probably be more lurkers than anything else, but I'm very pleased to have found this forum. My husband likes to fix his own stuff if possible. he has done a lot of work on our JCB, including making a "front door" for the open space directly in front of the operator. He uses the JCB to pull in timber and after one close call that had a log almost come into the cab with him, he welded together a functional heavy gauge mesh door. We also rigged up the JCB to lift an move about twice what is is supposed to be able to left. Definitely not OSHA approved and the JCB engineers probably would have had a heart attack had they seen it, but it worked for the purpose we needed it to. We've notified the local Chamber of Commerce, who put us in touch with the FBI, so perhaps these folks will go away. Also, thanks to Tinkerer for the kind welcome for reminding me to clear my cookies!
Elizabeth I wasn’t referring to you as a dumbass, it was reference to the fools that fall for the ridiculous Craigslist ads I mentioned in my post #2. No offense meant. You came here for advice and received very good advice in IMO. There are scams on every corner, we all need to be prudent as some are not as easy to spot as others.
No worries CM1995. I really do appreciate the advice, and the husband has been really impressed with the amount of knowledge that is here. He's been reading some threads on mechanical problems. So, we are here to learn what we can. and if we have an help we can offer, we will. (And, I strongly suspect that occasionally I can be a dumbass - but I try not to be!)
There is no such thing as a "civil" engineer.
https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-civil-engineering-4582488
Absolutely. it's an oxymoron.......... However it could be said that civil engineers build targets - mechanical engineers build weapons.
Only as far as another town I suspect, where they'll start up the same scam under a different name.
I for one think it's great to read a story like this one, you don't hear about the times people avert disaster with these scammers you only hear about the really terrible stories of people losing tons of money.
Hey I resemble those remarks BSCE Michigan Tech Class of 72 with a MI PE license
Here is a dead giveaway, I live 2 hrs from Glendive MT and there is no sales tax out here plus never heard or seen the place.