Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

B20 Bio Diesel, anyone using it?

SeaMac ยท 2012-06-20 09:22

I would like to hear from members who have used or are currently using Bio Diesel in their equipment. Are there any special considerations with regards to storage, water separation and filters? How is it performing in your machines? Thanks...

Replies6
  1. #1blitz1382012-06-20 10:24

    I have used it in the summer months, in the winter we had to use a gelling additive. Of course you wouldn't have to worry about that.....For storage make sure you use a quality desiccant filter. I cant remember the type Nige likes, I like DesCase, any kind will do. Also I would run a filter on your pumps. Tell me a little bit more about what kind of set you have and I can help you with the filter side.

  2. #2SeaMac2012-06-20 12:02

    Hey blitz, I replied to your email. I need to wait until the Liebherr is in my possession so I can't answer the filter set question as of yet. I always run two filters on my tranfer tanks, my concern is the heat and humidity, will it affect the storage? Liebherr tells me that B20 will work fine and with little loss of performance, I have never run machines with B20 but I believe in doing my part for the planet and can bulk pruchase B20 at a reasonable price. Liebherr has informed me that they will set the machine up with all biodegradable/synthetic lubricants and for B20 from the factory. Hopefully I have no issues...

  3. #3Dualie2012-06-20 22:13

    Bio diesel is one hell of a solvent. I will dissolve and remove any crud and junk built up in your old storage tanks. So be mindful of that when putting it into transfer tanks and keep spare filters for all the equipment around and near. Its so good infact i know several people that have changed out their parts washers fluid to B100 as its way less toxic than traditional solvents, and its even good on your skin unlike petroleum solvents.

  4. #4SeaMac2012-06-20 22:21

    Point taken Dualie, I will definitely keep that in mind and see to it that the storage/transfer tank is thoroughly cleaned before filling with bio, the biodiesel supplier will also be supplying the tank but I will see to it that dino diesel was never in it or it gets cleaned. Happy to hear you know how damaging petroleum is to the human body. My Girlfriend lost her Father far too prematurely from using parts washing solvent while working as a Rolls Royce Technician. Thanks again Dualie...

  5. #5Dualie2012-06-20 23:37

    heck the B100 is almost a hand lotion. Miles above the washer solvent, and environmentally friendly. Also make sure that the biodiesel stock conforms to ASTM and API standards before blending.

  6. #6SeaMac2012-06-20 23:53

    Blending? Oh no, I am not intending to do the blending. Okay then, I might need to confirm that with the vendor. hmm.....