Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer or excavator for stump removal?

1morepayment ยท 2012-06-19 21:16

Was wondering if a D8 with KG blade and ripper would be the fastest way to remove 3' oak stumps. Or an excavator with a stump sheer or small bucket. The property was logged recently and the trees are cut off at ground level. Thanks for any thoughts.

Replies11
  1. #1wosama931b2012-06-20 08:48

    Hi 1morepayment, Down in the green swamp i have seen them use ripper's, they drive over 100's of acres in rows, a D8 should have plenty of power to do the job. I guess it depends on how much land you need to clear, have fun.

  2. #2SeaMac2012-06-20 09:05

    I would go with an excavator, a much more versatile machine in the long run. Either machine would do the job sufficiently but I believe you get more bang for your buck with an excavator. Twenty years ago dozers were used for clearing here in Florida nowadays it's mostly excavators that do the work...:my2c

  3. #3Bluetop Man2012-06-20 16:24

    A three-inch diameter stump at ground line indicates not much of a tree to begin with. A D6R or comparable machine should bust them right out in a single shove. Problems with a dozer starts if you run into bigger stuff and have to start digging. Ordinarily in smaller stumps the R model will be the lowest cost per acre and turn the job quicker. Bigger stuff, get a trackhoe.

  4. #4SeaMac2012-06-20 16:37

    I think you misread that Bluetop Man, he said 3 feet not 3 inches.

  5. #5Bluetop Man2012-06-20 22:59

    Whoops. Must be the new bifocals. I'd KG blade that stuff with a D16R, or dig it out with a 635C hoe.

  6. #6bpogue2012-06-22 21:51

    D16R. Now that's a dozer!!

  7. #7buckfever2012-06-23 17:36

    How were you planing to get rid of the stumps? aprox. how many stumps per acre? If there close and you plan on burying them i'd go with and excavator if you plan on making a couple of big piles i'd go with a dozer. Now if you can get ahold of a haul truck excavator and a haul will make fast work of those stumps and the truck can put them where ever you want.

  8. #8rabia2012-11-16 04:09

    Different people have different opinions. According to my experience Dozer is a good option.

  9. #9SVIPD2012-11-16 14:29

    I say dozer for a stump but removing a tree is much easier if the tree is whole and you use an excavator.

  10. #10Mjrdude12012-11-16 15:53

    Hard to beat an excavator with a thumb... dig em out, pick em up and put em right where ya want em.

  11. #11grandpa2012-11-16 19:20

    Well I just finished clearing about 200 acres of huge oak stumps,,, I hauled my excavator off the site and brought in the big dozers. These loggers these days cut those stump so close to the ground that there's no way you can see all the stumps. With it being fall/winter here the leaves covered all but the biggest of stumps. I was clearing the ground for center pivot irrigaters so I had to make positive I had all the stumps removed..... popped all the stumps out and then raked them all off the field into piles.