Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bacarach Test Bench

maquinariawiebe · 2011-02-03 19:09

We are thinking about getting a Bacarach Test bench for our shop. We were looking into getting a Bacarach U7000 or U7500. Anybody familiar with these? I was also thinking that we should get a larger model instead, to test the large CAT pump. By the sounds of it, the bacarach u7000 won't be able to test the large pumps.

Replies13
  1. #1smittysrepair2011-02-08 22:33

    What kind of shop are you putting the machine in? I am just trying to get an idea about what kind of use the machine will get. Have you checked into what one actually costs and the amount of equipment required in adition to the test bench to make use of it? I know with my experience on these machines they are very expensive and you had better be prepared to spend quite a bit more after the initial purchase for other equipment that you will need.

  2. #2maquinariawiebe2011-02-09 12:20

    Well, we re-sell heavy equipment. So its going be for testing pumps off of Caterpillar, John Deere Komatsu etc. From small to large machines. I was interested in a Bacarach U7000 for $4900. It had a large selection of Adapters and connections with it. From the research I have done, that price doesn't sound to bad.

  3. #3smittysrepair2011-02-09 22:14

    That sounds like a real good price if it comes with adapters and tooling. I have seen a few used ones selling for around the $4,000.00 mark. So I think one with adapters and tooling should go for around $5,500.00 to $6,000.00. One of the main reasons I was questioning you about your operation was to find out just how much do you think you will actually be using the machine. I know what it costs to have a pump tested and it ain't cheap. But one thing to consider is how often do you actually have one that a good technician can not trouble shoot on the engine with very few special tools? And the big thing to consider about injection pump repair is a test stand is invaluable for testing and setting fuel rate on an injection pump and that is about all it is used for. When it comes to the actual repair of the pump there is still a lot of tooling and equipment needed to correctly repair a pump. Another thing to consider and I do not know anything about your shop or technicians but injection pumps are a strange critter to work on. The principals behind most pumps operation is usually sort of the same but the repair of and tools needed to repair each and every model, series, and brand of pump is usually different. I have seen people that are not familiar with them do a lot of damage to a pump and cost a considerable amount of money unintentionally. But as always it is your money and your operation and only you can decide what is best for your company. I am only trying to give my two cents worth and my incite into the fuel system repair business. I for one am interested into locating a good used injector pop tester for testing injectors and a set of lapping blocks for use in rebuilding injectors and for repairing some injection pump parts. I currently repair most models of the Caterpillar brand injection pumps and a few other brands of injection pumps. With most of the Cat pumps you can rebuild and set them without a test bench if you have the correct tooling. I know it is more accurate and faster to set them on a test bench but none the less I can get them within spec without a test stand. The reasons most shops will not mess with injection pumps is this cost of tooling, ability of technicians, and having to take responsibility for the engines ability to pass emission regulations. When you set down and consider the amount of time needed and cost to properly train a technician to do these types of repairs and on top of that the cost of tooling needed just how much will you save over subbing that type of work out. And just a note on the tooling for rebuilding and setting a pump, I currently have around $15,000.00 in tooling just for the Cat brand pumps. And for the record I do not own a test stand but I would really like to have one. lol But as I have said before this is all just my opinion.

  4. #4maquinariawiebe2011-02-10 12:32

    Thanks for the incite. I for one do not know anything about these test benches and have never used one. My role with the company is purchasing, but the mechanic who requested the bacarach mentioned that he has used these in the past, and knows what he's doing. Lets hope hes right. This is just another step in making our company more independent and not having to rely on other companys to fix our equipment. In the long run, as long as the mechanic knows what he's doing, I believe this will be much more economic for us.

  5. #5cw4Bray2024-12-11 15:16

    Considering the cost of outsourcing, it would pay for itself in short time if you have a busy shop. The delay in shipping to another shop would sell me on it. I used one, many years ago, but things have changed since then, the ECU was invented since then. Just throwing out ideas to think about, how about replacing all the injectors with OEM part$ ... more profit If one or two injectors have a poor spray pattern right now will the other injectors fail soon after ? What about warranty coverage on re-built injectors, how do you know the warranty work is for the same cylinder or a different injector on the same engine ? A parts changer could replace ALL the injectors and never question if one or two injectors were bad. You need a "clean room" space for the setup. - Think hospital operating room space. With hydraulic systems it's; "cleanliness next to godliness".

  6. #6Coaldust2024-12-11 22:06

    Once your Tech leaves, the odds of ever finding another employee with that skill set is very slim. Then, the test stand and all that Cat tooling will take up space and gather dust. Just sayin’.

  7. #7cw4Bray2024-12-11 23:33

    Coaldust, I agree with you on that one only because the local burger joint can't find help.

  8. #8Nige2024-12-12 09:01

    Another factor that might come into play is the availability of parts for late-model fuel system components. From what I know in many cases even the fuel system OEMs do not supply them. It’s all fine and dandy figuring out that something is farked, but getting the parts to put said component back into spec might be your biggest challenge. Just realized we are replying to a thread created 13 years ago…..

  9. #9cw4Bray2024-12-12 10:22

    Nige, My fault for restarting the conversation. Now that you mention it, I see the date in small print. Sorry. I got new spectacles yesterday, they must not be working.

  10. #10Nige2024-12-12 10:24

    My wife has had both of her eyes (allegedly) fixed. I wear glasses. Guess who sees better.?

  11. #11cw4Bray2024-12-15 13:32

    Your wife has more trust than I'd like to take, being risk averce. I always wanted a Cadillac. But it could've gone the other way in your case, when the lens grinder was "off" by a 1/4 diopter.

  12. #12Nige2024-12-15 14:14

    I agree, but in my case all I would do is go back to the optometrist and complain that “these ain’t right” at which point some checks and a new pair of lenses would probably be the solution. It’s not so easy with eye surgery if the surgeon gets it wrong, at least AFAIK.

  13. #13thepumpguysc2024-12-16 01:58

    Brings up bad memories.. My 1st pair of glasses.. they put the lenses in the wrong side.!! I called to complain and was told, Oh, they just take some getting use to.!! I got in my car and drove straight there.. I was right.!!