Hi all- have a question about a D20 komatsu. It had a sticking track that we adjusted the linkage and it worked good. It recently did it again and was parked. Now it wont go anywhere- you let the clutch out and it will almost stall it out but wont move. Checked all fluids, checked parking brake to see if stuck. It wasnt making any strange noises before hand from what ive been told. Could it need clutch adjusted or does it sound like something else. Any thoughts appreciated.
Will it rev up if you pull the steering handles before taking your foot off the clutch, if so the steering brakes are stuck. Mess with it a lot doing things like pulling one steering handle putting all power to one track, pulling both, letting it get up to full power, then letting one go, and anything you can think of to shock it. Do this stuff over and over for a long time before you give up. I guess it's sorta machine abuse, but if it doesn't work, you'll have to disassemble them.
The drive shaft spins with it in gear and you can hear a 'whizzing' noise... Almost sounds like maybe something stripped. .
Im sorry, to answer your question, did this: clutch in, starts up and runs. Put it in gear, clutch out, driveshaft spins. Pull levers back, driveshaft spins. Levers forward, driveshaft still spins. About 30 sec later it slows down and stalls.
Never mind guys...drained the oil and this came out when i pulled plug.
That aint a good sign! This will be costly.
Thanks for the encouragement! So i guess i need to identify exactly what that is now yeah?
How much 'costly' would you say? Just off the top of your head. the shock has already worn off so I should be okay when I hear some numbers.
Bevel and pinion by appearance, I have no idea as to cost for your machine. Will require tear down, inspection of all the bearings as there will be steel fragments everywhere.
What fun. Guess I'm ready for another big job. . I had a thought though...I've seen several posts and videos about having to try and break the tracks loose on these things. I'm assuming it's a common problem. I could also assume that the previous owner had to 'un-stick' the tracks a time or two because when it arrived, it had that problem. Could the methods that are being used have caused the part to break you think? Just pondering...
If a bevel gear had been shock loaded enough times a weak point could have shown out. These usually fail due to age and stress.
4500 hrs. I'm gonna go with age and stress.
Can anyone recommend where I should be looking to get these parts? I got a couple quotes but they never gave a price for the bevel gear and the drive gear for the bevel gear. Maybe these aren't available anymore? Any info would be great and would greatly appreciate it. Have a good 4th everyone!
I'm probably going to get hate mail over this but......... Alibaba supply them with part numbers and you will have a number of suppliers to choose from. Be sure to get your quotes including shipping to your door.
I have googled part numbers as Allis Chalmers 7xxxxxxx and gotten hits that way as well. All are worth a try but you should tear into it and validate what you will need, no sense buying a lot of stuff if this is just remnant of a previous self destruct.
Thanks for the info-will give it a try.
A little update... I'm kinda really confused now. Took off the cover plate to inspect and locate where this piece of gear came from. There is nothing in there that this piece would have come from, yet it fell right out when I pulled the drain plug. Checked all the gears and they have no pieces missing! Is it possible this piece was left in there when something was replaced before? The sealer on the cover did look suspiciously unlike original. If this is the case, what caused this thing to lock and not move? Totally appreciate anything to point me in a direction.
Is why I suggested look first, had pieces in both my Allis loader and my farm tractor from field repairs that were just left in place. You may want to check all your brake linkages, make certain you don't have one hanging, even a renegade backed out bolt on any component internally then look to make certain the remnant piece you found does not have cousins residing inside that could have rolled up finally check the components you can roll for locked or locking bearings even to the rails for of all things a large rock or piece of refuse locking a rail or sprocket.
Gotcha. Guess it'll be another long day. At least it's good weather! Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Hi all- when removing the steering clutches, does the track and everything have to come off to do it? Or is there a secret squirrel way that anyone knows of? Maybe a little trick or something? As always, appreciate the input all.
Going to move forward on this as the steering brake band looks like it's down to the rivets. Can see how everything gets pretty rusted in there as well. Lifted the back end up with the old case backhoe that you all on this site helped me to get back together and set the dozer on some timbers to get it off the ground a couple inches. Going to tackle taking this thing apart and see how the steering clutches come out. We shall see how it goes today.
Now that we have manual, I see nothing comes apart from the outside. Have one of the steering clutches out. Going to rebuild and put new bands in it when parts arrive. The track rotates by hand now and nothing seems to be impeding it. I guess it's process of elimination, but it did need the clutches redone. Here's my other issue. The left side has the steering clutches undone so the track rotates by hand with tranny in neutral. So shouldn't the jack be able to rotate the other side as well if tranny in neutral? Could the locking up be a tranny issue?
If one clutch is disconnected the final drive bevel gear is no longer attached to both so either will spin independently.
The jacked up side did finally break loose. It must look like the one side we pulled out first. Think ill order the drums for steering clutches as well - it's pretty nicked up inside.
Wish I could get rubber rails for my old Allis, would make life a lot simpler!!
I can only imagine what metal tracks would be like to deal with...
Just wanted to share on where I ended up getting parts for this thing. Was really happy with the prices compared to the other quotes I got. Kent Baugh Equipment in Tx. Fast shipping too.
Good deal, sometimes get lucky.
Ok I'm pulling my hair out. The manual says to put engine oil in the hydraulic tank. It says to put engine oil in the gear box. Why would I not be using hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic tank? Is this a misprint? I have to fill this thing back up and I'm confused. If it's engine oil then I'm gonna be spending heinous amounts of money on this POS I just fixed. Please help.