Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back at the Grain truck

DMiller · 2019-06-29 17:29

Decided after some Honey Do's was time to get the leaky cylinder OFF the hoist. Started at 11:30 sitting drained and capped at 2. Had a SLIGHT issue with the @#&%@&&&!! Spring pin retainer for the ram Eye pin, froze SOLID, next up, gas axe melt away the ends and will deal with that later. 7/16x 2 1/2 Spring Pin. I do not have a Chain wrench long enough to drag the Cylinder head nut off, considering welded hammer lugs and drive it loose then drive Back tight and then cut them away.

Replies52
  1. #1DMiller2019-06-29 17:31

    Also while UP, going to fit it for Prop Stand(s), this critter was built in '62 so were not a considered Add then.

  2. #2DMiller2019-06-29 17:35

    The Honey Do Paint Front Door:

  3. #3Ronsii2019-06-29 18:37

    Did you miss a spot in the upper left corner??? Looks like you're getting a bunch done today

  4. #4Oldcatpusher2019-06-29 18:48

    Had a steering cylinder on a 621 start leaking about a year ago. Just a drip put it off cause I dreaded the massive thing. Started pouring last week so I built up some motivation and it was actually the easiest cylinder I ever done. Maybe took a hour at the most and that's including taking it off the scraper. Dozer rippers made a nice table.

  5. #5Nige2019-06-30 14:50

    Did you have a visitor admiring your handiwork..? I'd have given them a paint brush and told them to have it it if it was me........ I really shouldn't be commenting. I've been busy decorating the lounge for the past week. Hopefully tomorrow should see it done. I am getting to hate the sight of a can of paint.

  6. #6DMiller2019-06-30 16:58

    HA!! I got the cylinder apart today. When call the shop on seals and such will see if they can run a cleanup hone thru the barrel as I wait. They are usually tied up tight as a hangman's knot and had told me two weeks on getting this rebuilt. And for all my buds on here, once you've recovered from blowing beer through your sinuses, you can give me all the guff for the mess I managed! The ram Popped right on out and knocked over my drain tub, silly me. MORE oil dry.

  7. #7DMiller2019-06-30 17:00

    BTW, the shredded material above the barrel is the old piston seal and o-ring. And YES, I said some MIGHTY Bad words, currently drinking a beer, should have done that first.

  8. #8crane operator2019-06-30 17:53

    You ain't getting nothing done if you aren't making a mess. I didn't chuckle as much about the mess, as much as I did about the exercise bike in the shop. Who needs a exercise bike when you've got iron to work on? Or is the wife after you to "get healthy?" Mine is all on this new keto diet. No carbs. So all the meat and eggs that used to be bad for me, are now good, and bread and crackers are now bad. I still eat the same.

  9. #9Oldcatpusher2019-06-30 18:48

    Mine had me haul an elliptical home and then gripes cause it squeaks. More junk to keep up. On me about eating healthy. Told her I had a lot invested in my figure. No need to change it now. Fry some more squash .

  10. #10Tim Burke2019-06-30 19:27

    Been around the world a few times and have not heard of that, aside from frying the blossoms. Care to share a recipe?

  11. #11DMiller2019-06-30 19:36

    The old bike is in the shop to take apart for scrap!! More junk, that and a well worn treadmill we dragged home from her parents and she never used!! My little honey is also on the diet kicks Cannot make up her mind to stick to any or any exercise while I eat as I want and work hard at working hard!! I am Large guy but weight seems to remain in a range I can manage.

  12. #12Oldcatpusher2019-06-30 19:44

    Just take some squash or zucchini squash. Cut it about 3/16 thick. Mix a few eggs up and dip in it half flour and half jiffy corn muffin mix .Fry it in some vegtable or olive oil and after a few beers I eat it right out of the pan. I can make a meal of just it

  13. #13kshansen2019-06-30 19:48

    I was thinking you had that bike hooked to a air compressor so your wife could make the air to run your air gun. Or a generator if you need to charge up your cordless tools! Boy am I glad my wife does not read this forum!

  14. #14Oldcatpusher2019-06-30 19:58

    If I had a bike like that hooked to an air compressor or generator and depended on my woman to run it batteries would stay dead and there wouldn't be enough air to blow up a balloon.

  15. #15RZucker2019-06-30 20:18

    I like to do mine in lots of real butter with plenty of salt and pepper... Healthy huh?

  16. #16Tim Burke2019-06-30 20:18

    Sounds a lot like fried green tomatoes...nom, nom, nom.

  17. #17Oldcatpusher2019-06-30 20:23

    We're eating healthy now according to her. She's baking it instead of frying it. Not bad but not as good as being fried .

  18. #18td25c2019-06-30 20:32

    Glad it came apart Dave ! And you owe me a can of Hamm's that this thread caused me to spill .

  19. #19crane operator2019-06-30 21:00

    Sure it is. There's pounds and pounds of valuable scrap in a old exercise bike. You don't have to put on airs for us, we all understand how it can be. As long as you don't post up action shots of your new yoga mat and pants, I'm okay with whatever exercise regimen that your wife puts you on.

  20. #20Tim Burke2019-06-30 21:25

    Check out the newfangled air fryers.

  21. #21DMiller2019-07-01 07:26

    Have to admit we have not given up on Bacon but now Bake it as well, in the oven on a foil covered cookie sheet no grease splatters and less chance of burnt to death bacon. Saw this at the Nuke Canteen Shop, they baked and less mess, works. I eat eggs, bacon, bread, real butter and manage just need to be aware of how much and how long between meals. Cannot eat half a Party Size bag of Cheetos then hour later a full meal and a four scoop bowl of ice cream a hour after that and expect to lose weight, not that I know someone that does just that. Off to the Hydraulics shop in about a hour.

  22. #22DMiller2019-07-01 11:53

    Just under $70 for seals, all in hand, retrieved oil dry, cleaning materials for the cylinder parts and some new fasteners. Have appointments rest of day so not likely to get much further for the day.

  23. #23DMiller2019-07-01 19:40

    Well appointments done Got to cleaning and assembling even got the trashed 7/16” roll pin remains out not clean externally but I am not choosy Off my phone

  24. #24crane operator2019-07-01 20:11

    You'll be ready to haul on the long 4th weekend.

  25. #25colson042019-07-01 22:40

    Looks like a good project. I need to get after some leaky cylinders myself...one of these days when there isn't so much going on.

  26. #26doublewide2019-07-02 06:01

    Good to see your progress!

  27. #27DMiller2019-07-02 15:31

    Rain close but at least cylinder on bled full and no leaks In process of a peg leg to install on it and need to lock the retainer on the cross pin but close enough for today

  28. #28DMiller2019-07-02 16:25

    Wife is less than entertained Texted me three times while mowing making sure was OK Texted twice is all OK as hung cylinder Did not return my response! “Only fell on me twice, slightly crushed and only killed me once”

  29. #29Camshawn2019-07-02 21:32

    I find it is easier to come into the house every few hours to (check in) get a glass of water. It keeps her happy and we all know “ happy wife, happy life”. Cam

  30. #30DMiller2019-07-03 07:51

    She was at work, knows I put my phone down and ignore it but tries anyway. She got home and gave me 'That Look' as asked of the response I sent!! Took her out to eat at our Local Mex restaurant, special of the day 16 oz. Margaritas!!

  31. #31Camshawn2019-07-03 08:42

    ^. I will have to try that one. Here Wifi stops 1/2 way to the shop from the house and cell service drops out inside the shop. I will have to change that one day. I have thought of getting some wifi cameras so that SHMBO can look in if she wants. Cam

  32. #32DMiller2019-07-03 09:14

    NO Cameras, NO evidence!!!

  33. #33_Weldman_2019-07-04 00:20

    Glad I don't have a wife/girlfriend nagging me that much and the texting, after all she's right there beside me turning a wrench too or watching. Plus if I go over 75 ft from the house all cell phone service is lost and on 22.5 acres you do the math on how often that happens.

  34. #34_Weldman_2019-07-04 00:23

    We had those out in the desert in Iraq, toss whatever in the air and it fried before it hit the ground, including MRE's

  35. #35Tim Burke2019-07-04 07:48

    I was in Saudi in 2000. I think the TCNs running the chow halls may have been using that method.

  36. #36DMiller2019-07-19 16:53

    Been after it again swimming in the 85% humidity doing my normal daily work and as such I am slow getting a tarp mounted to this. Five bows I have had seemingly FORVEVER(1980s) lost the rest of attaching mechanism or gave away or whatever so bought bow pockets. get the bows on spread a 10x16 tarp across and too short long length, either end up hole at front or one to rear. so My last remaining brain cells cut in talk me into trying a 12x20. PERFORATED BOVINE Way too long and just a mess to try to control so the Fabricobbler cells stand up to be counted. Had some left overs in the corner of the shop, became a bulkhead riser at first bow. Have all that in place now, just drying down to start at it again tomorrow, work in cool time 7-noonish then stop and toss drowned rat clothing in a pile for laundering later. So far Bulkhead and tarp retention strap, added more grommets to run bolts thru on 10x16: Hopefully tomorrow back at setting rope/bungee strap hooks and finish.

  37. #37CM19952019-07-19 21:29

    I've got a recipe for fried squash which works well with zucchini, onions, okra and potatoes all mixed together too. Wash all the veggies and slice in 1/4" thick sections. Throw it all in a bowl and add salt and pepper then let it sit for 30 mins or so. The salt will pull the water out of the squash and zucchini. After 30 mins or so dump some flour in the bowl and coat everything well then dump in hot oil. Fry to golden brown, drain and enjoy. I like it with some Frank's Red Hot Sauce to give it a kick. I'm not much of a mechanic but I'm a decent cook - that and I cannot resist a proper Thread Hijack.

  38. #38kshansen2019-07-20 09:37

    Well while we are Hijacking this thread, at least it has links to other parts of the thread, I'll add an idea I have been tossing around for a few years. Have an old treadmill that the belt had been torn on so I scraped it for odds and ends of steel bits. But still have the motor and controller sitting in a box. Keep thinking about cobbling up some bits together and use that motor to run a paint shaker for rattle can paint cans. The variable speed controller would let me adjust the shaking to a point the paint is well mixed but not damaging the can and spray all over the shop. Probably should make a YouTube video of the build, would not be any worse than some of the stupid things I have seen there!

  39. #39CM19952019-07-20 10:36

    I like that idea kshansen. Make a pint and gallon can holders too. |

  40. #40DMiller2019-07-20 10:36

    I come up with quite a few hair brained ideas on occasion! Scrap dealer likes me a lot!

  41. #41DMiller2019-07-20 10:51

    Tarp on, needs a little wet and sun to shrink it up but has road tested good for the slow this machine makes! Rubber bands function where rope would snug it up nice.

  42. #42Old Doug2019-07-21 11:15

    Looks good i have been thinking about a mesh cover for my truck it would take some of the worry out of hauling stuff.

  43. #43DMiller2019-07-21 11:40

    Anymore even grain hauling short distance MoDOT gets picky on not having a load at least some covered. Optimal would be a side roll for Grain hauling, I am not up to that yet. Could have had a oval top bulkhead built by Reichers body Washington MO that would fit the bow arch closer but did not have the patience to await that nor the want to buy what I could produce. Bows came off the 42' 8' wide Trailmobile side panel kitted flatbed we used to run. Had a couple get bent up over the period we had the trucking company so had extras, they finally found a home.

  44. #44RZucker2019-07-21 22:23

    Looks pretty good, reminds me of the bobtail trucks I drove in the 70's hauling grain right off the combines for a girlfriend's father. One was a '70's Loadstar with a 392 gasser, one was a '49 Ford F-5 that had a bigger Mercury Flathead installed in it, and two of them were early 60's Chevies with the high short hood and 292 sixes. They all had hydraulic hoists with 14' boxes. The Binder had 10 stud budds and a 16' box. They also had an early 60's KW K100 with a 220 pulling a hopper bottom and a '56 Peterbilt conventional with a 262 Cummins with an Omaha Standard cattle box pulling a double deck full trailer. The truck that fueled the combines was a 1941 Ford F-5 with a flathead V-8 that only had 21K original miles and ran like a watch.

  45. #45DMiller2019-07-22 06:40

    Started out on Great Aunt and Uncle's farm in a 51 Chevrolet 12' grain side collecting horse corn off a picker not a combine. Old Deere tractors 'R' models, 70 and 80 or 85s, a few odd Moline or Ferguson then at the end Ford Diesels. Cousin's Husband went to Deutz as no coolant to deal with after Great Aunt passed, BIG Mistake.

  46. #46DMiller2019-07-22 19:19

    Rest of week is Honey do work, rain last night shut most outdoors projects off awhile. Got to thinking had this material since 2016, time to get to it!! Kitchen Backsplash, Day One.

  47. #47colson042019-07-22 21:05

    Looks sharp

  48. #48crane operator2019-07-22 22:42

    My wife isn't allowed to see your threads dmiller. New front door, new tile, fixed the stairs, riding the exercise bike. You're making me look bad.

  49. #49DMiller2019-07-23 07:28

    Only bike seat fits my Arse is my Harley Saddle!! WAAYYY too busy to fool around with exercise equipment.

  50. #50DMiller2019-07-23 13:13

    End of Day(round) 2, give it 4-5 days to thoroughly set the mastic and then grout

  51. #51DMiller2019-07-23 15:40

    May have to run by some day, say HI, share the pics!!!

  52. #52crane operator2019-07-23 23:36

    Run by any time, as long as you don't bring pics, my wife doesn't need help finding me things to do.