Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2012 international 4400 no power and black smoke

bscottking21 · 2019-07-01 01:39

I’ve got a 2012 international 4400 with the maxxforce dt(466) Motor and the MD3060 trans configured to a 5spd. Truck has no Power when very lightly loaded plus blows black smoke under wot. Truck only has 52,000 miles. Any suggestions?

Replies42
  1. #163 caveman2019-07-01 06:16

    turbo?

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-07-01 06:24

    Any change in how it sounds? As mentioned, turbo is one possibility, boost piping would be a simpler solution. Check all your big hoses, pipes and clamps.

  3. #3bscottking212019-07-01 11:01

    It’s a new to me truck. Only 52,000 miles. Not sure how it ran before. Feels fine unloaded. Just when I hooked up my 40’ Hay trailer empty it wouldn’t hardly do 55mph.. it has the dpf system so wasn’t sure if it should be smoking like it is or not.

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-07-01 12:17

    No knocking right? Only under load you get smoke . You hear any loud rushing noise? Did you check the big pipes and clamps under the hood?

  5. #5DMiller2019-07-01 12:23

    These engines set up with a Waste gate on intake boost? Could it be stuck in Dump position?

  6. #6bscottking212019-08-15 15:06

    No rushing noises that I can hear. Did notice today that I have oil leaking from the intercooler on top of the motor. Pics attached. Not sure if maybe a turbo going bad.

  7. #7DMiller2019-08-15 15:32

    Waste Gate diverts the excess flow of exhaust against intake pressure sensing or thru a controlled pathway around the turbo and Out, not an open dump. Will be a linkage system on the exhaust side make sure that is intact and free.

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-08-15 16:26

    Have you checked your air cleaner. Is it plugged up, can you shine light through it? I can't believe I forgot to suggest that.

  9. #9bscottking212019-08-16 01:24

    Yes air cleaner is new. I’ll check linkages. Should waste gate linkage move freely or is there pressure on it? I figure I need to check the crankcase filter as well. Truck only has 52,000 miles tho

  10. #10_Weldman_2019-08-16 01:51

    Black smoke equals over fueling which means either too much fuel or not enough air in/out hence turbo, air cleaner, wastegate and etc it’s plugged somewhere with that low of mileage. Wonder if it can be clogged DPF

  11. #11DMiller2019-08-16 06:42

    Waste gate is motor operated on these where may have to disconnect the motor no snags tight spots and should go full closed

  12. #12bscottking212019-08-16 11:16

    Could it happen if the dpf is cracked? I’ll check the wastegate as well. I know if you run it up and keep it in the higher rpms by shifting manually it seem to be ok. But if you leave it in auto mode it shifts early and falls on its face. But even in 5th gear, if you floor it, just blows black smoke and won’t down shift hardly and has no power

  13. #13funwithfuel2019-08-16 12:16

    So, are you saying that its lugging and not downshifting properly? I thought you had a manual. If you're in high gear and she dont downshift, you're gonna puke black smoke. Its fueling its @$$ off trying to spool up, your in high gear choking it back. Thinking maybe a faulty speed sensor not letting trans know where its at.

  14. #14bscottking212019-08-16 13:18

    Yes it does it then and Taking off. Seems like it’s shifting way to early

  15. #15DMiller2019-08-16 15:37

    FWF, is there any way to Code Check this machine without a laptop?

  16. #16funwithfuel2019-08-16 15:39

    I don't know, got out of trucks almost 15 years ago

  17. #17DMiller2019-08-16 15:41

    Myself too, closer to 24 now

  18. #18funwithfuel2019-08-16 15:45

    It used to be you could press cruise on and set at the same time for 3-5 seconds then the error codes would flash out in CEL or MIL or just display on odometer

  19. #19bscottking212019-08-20 12:15

    Do you guys think deleting the dpf will help this truck much power wise?

  20. #20bscottking212019-08-20 12:25

    Here’s a video I took. This is empty, just truck floored all the way. Seems to shift really early? When loaded you have to manually shift it to get up to speed

  21. #21DMiller2019-08-20 17:30

    You need to get a Laptop on this and see what parameter has died or is screwed up. The action of Early upshifts could be a failure to see Throttle Position(Demand) against Speed Read Out(Trans Shift Points) against Engine RPM and then you will have inputs for Engine Temperature, Trans Temps, other inputs telling the ECM too Cold too Hot or just No Reference. Something is on its face in this and a DPF delete may do nothing other than delete the DPF.

  22. #22bscottking212019-08-21 00:02

    Thanks Dmiller. ill need to find someone in the area who knows what there doing. If anyone knows of a good shop in the dallas Tx area let me know

  23. #23bscottking212019-08-22 02:19

    Well I was told the dpf is cracked and needs to be replaced or deleted... could that really make this thing have a lot of that unburnt diesel smell in the cab and cause it to black smoke with no power in the high end..?

  24. #24funwithfuel2019-08-22 06:22

    Absolutely not. Do you have an error displayed? If it was cracked it would allow a bit of exhaust soot to escape, but not at the level you described. Deleting an emissions component is illegal in the United states. You will not receive dealer support and they are encouraged to rat you out. Not something you want to deal with. This has been discussed so much on this board that it should be a sticky. I agree with DMiller, time to visit a reputable shop. BTW, a reputable shop won't suggest a delete in the US

  25. #25bscottking212019-08-25 14:27

    No errors displayed and Idk one reputable shop in the dfw area. One it was taken to told me to delete it or replace dpf ... didn’t sound right to me

  26. #26funwithfuel2019-08-25 14:59

    I just did a quick google search and come up with southwest international with locations in Dallas, Fort worth, McKinney and Arlington. Are these the jagbags that suggested a delete?

  27. #27bscottking212019-08-25 19:40

    Just read about the turbos getting gummed up from the crankcase breather stopping up. I did notice oil coming out around the intercooler on top so I pulled the half’s off the turbos and this is what they look like. Not sure if this is normal looking or not but looks almost like oil coming out from behind impeller. The upper turbo(bottom pic)looks fine. Again truck only has 52,000 miles. And has anyone pulled the crankcase breather off one of these before? It’s really crammed down in there

  28. #28Nige2019-08-26 04:26

    Those photos are NOT normal IMHO. The front face of the housing should be bone dry. Turbo shaft seals are gone, one apparently more so than the other. Or is one turbo being contaminated by the oil from the other one.? If the turbo in the upper photos is the first in the system then maybe what you see in the lower photo is contamination from the other one although I wouldn't bet my life on it. Fix before proceding further with diagnosis. Can you get better access to the breather with the turbos out..? If so that would be the perfect opportuntiy.

  29. #2963 caveman2019-08-26 06:06

    Have you checked turbo boost with a gauge? Low boost and full fuel will plug up the DPF in a hurry. You may want to check exhaust back pressure and temp. now as well. I can't believe this truck isn't throwing codes like crazy! Looking at the video I'm thinking someone has been in the computer messing with things already, the shift points do not look right to me. Deleting the DPF is a slippery slope my friend that could get very expensive.

  30. #30Georgia Iron2019-08-26 06:28

    I would change the fuel filters. And see if there is any change.

  31. #31bscottking212019-08-29 15:08

    Yea I had a guy come check it with his laptop. Said turbos build up to 35 psi so those are good and that the IPC’s? Are good. Nothing wrong with truck at all that it runs great.. fuel filters are new. I hook this thing to a 40’ Hay van loaded with 20 bales and it won’t climb over 50 harldy w/o shifting it manually. Thing isn’t letting the motor rev over 1900 rpms until your in overdrive and it winds out. Idk what to do at this point.

  32. #32DMiller2019-08-29 16:18

    Sounds like base parameter software programming has been set for low power operations. That would have to be a Recal to change power curve and shift points, and no, a delete won't help it.

  33. #33funwithfuel2019-08-29 16:42

    Just how heavy is this combination that your pulling. It doesn't explain to black smoke under wide open throttle that's for sure. I'm just wondering if you're exceeding the horse power That the engine has to deliver.

  34. #34bscottking212019-08-29 16:54

    Sounds about right. This is a Ryder truck so maybe it was derated. How do I go about changing it? Would a delete and hp increase fix that?

  35. #35funwithfuel2019-08-29 17:02

    As DMiller Already stated you could have the parameters reprogrammed and reconfigured. Maybe have the torque curve come in a little bit lower possibly. You could talk to your navistar dealer about possible horsepower upgrades with a simple tune I don't know how far you can get with tuning alone you may have to Swap about Turbo and injectors I am not sure on that model that you are dealing with. If it were me I would be looking for a Cummins donor engine ISB6.7 or an ISC 9. After 2nd generation the DT is not what she used to be. Please don't think I'm picking on you or your engine it's just the way that the government has forced crap down our throats

  36. #36bscottking212019-08-29 17:06

    Yea it’s the high hp motor. Said it showed 270hp on the computer. Only has 52,000 miles.

  37. #37DMiller2019-08-30 07:42

    Try the IH Dealer as to a shift point recalibrate and upper end lower gear RPM range, may make all the difference, they will have the access that most others won't.

  38. #38Nige2019-08-30 08:11

    The turbo in the first photo of post #28 might be producting 35psi of boost but it's fcuked IMHO....

  39. #39bscottking212019-08-30 09:10

    Ok thanks dmiller I’ll give them a call Nige, I agree. Was just repeating what the mechanic told me.

  40. #40bscottking212019-09-02 10:17

    FUnwithfuel. Sorry I just saw where you asked how much I’m pulling. It’s around 25,000lbs trailer/Hay together not including the truck.

  41. #41funwithfuel2019-09-03 13:51

    Yeah, but how big of a sail are you pulling. It doesn't explain the black smoke. Only a damaged DPF will allow that, in my opinion. 25k doesn't sound all that terrible. Considering most of those trucks were delivery vehicles, they weren't designed for huge, oversized loads. I kinda think you have a cracked DPF combined with not enough oomph to get things done.

  42. #42mekanik2019-09-25 08:48

    There is an update on the crankcase vent that has a vent to atmosphere instead of venting to the intake system. There are 2 different crankcase vents depending on the vent coming out of the valve cover. Navistar also supplies a de-coking kit for the turbos. There is an electronic throttle body on the intake manifold. It may have failed and is not opening causing your black smoke problem.