Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back in Cylinder Repair hell

eagle98 ยท 2021-08-08 19:23

my john deere 1979 410 steering cylinder leaks so bad that i need to change the seals. No problem seen it done before take the little allen screw out back out the Gland nut pop out the steering rod. I get to the gland nut and Half of it breaks off withe the rest still in the bore. I have gland nut pices and it wont budge. Im gonna have to heat it and to turn it in the bore. Trying to take the whole cylinder out looks impossible. Ill heat it and use the air hammer and try to remove it .any thoughts or help your welcome to advise Regards JOE...

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2021-08-09 10:26

    I've been told by many that the cylinders are pretty small and with any troubles at all, it was better to just replace it.

  2. #2Vetech632021-08-09 14:28

    What He said^^

  3. #3eagle982021-08-09 20:07

    thank you for the reply. I need to get some information on how to do that Do i need to take off the hydro pump on top and drive the pin up I need alot of info on that. thanks...

  4. #4Delmer2021-08-10 12:47

    I'd need a few pictures to have any idea. I don't remember JD being as bad as Cat, but I don't remember a lot...

  5. #5Midnightmoon2021-08-10 18:33

    If your good with a torch you can carefully cut the leftover gland nut just up to the threads at 3 or 4 spots then spin it out easy