Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s correct antifreeze for a 20 year old JD 310E backhoe?

JL Sargent · 2021-08-07 20:25

Owners manual says use "John Deere Low Silicate Antifreeze". Seems I can get that in green or red "Dexcool". Probably shouldn't mix those. Is the ASTM 4985 spec correct for this machine?

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612021-08-08 06:16

    Specifications for that unit: ASTM D5345 (prediluted coolant) ASTM D4985 (coolant concentrate) in a 40 to 60% mixture of concentrate with quality water Hey JL, curious as to what part of Alabama are you in?

  2. #2JL Sargent2021-08-08 07:09

    Thanks for the info MG. I'm in a little area called Remlap. It's about 30 miles North of Birmingham. We have a post office, Dollar General and Inland Lake, but that's about it. https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Inland_Lake Come see me!

  3. #3boone2021-08-08 09:01

    I put Shell Rotella ELC nitrite free in mine. It's D4985 compliant. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ghO0TkBHrsG1WS96xs9Y58PxgF9pV1TRoCoZoQAvD_BwE

  4. #4Coaldust2021-08-09 03:34

    9 out of 10 times ELC is fine in old engines. The oxalic acid can be hard on earlier, embossed head gasket formulations. Like pre-99ish. That’s straight from an old acquaintance that worked for a gasket supplier at the time. So, I stick to conventional heavy-duty low-silicate coolant formulations with a nitrite/molybdite additive package. The NAPA or Cat is easy to source.

  5. #5mg23612021-08-09 05:31

    I PM'd you.