Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back-Up Camera on a Skid Steer

gabelmatt ยท 2010-04-08 22:24

Do any of you's out there have a back up camera on your skid steer or and machine? How do they work? I am looking at buying one for my 289C just to see the back since visibility is terrible. Any input would be good. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1stovein2010-04-09 08:52

    I put a cheaper one on mine 2 years ago and I like it. One thing is the fish eye camera puts things at a distance out of perspective, if you are traveling along a road and see a car coming up behind it will appear small till it is right by you. In the snow details don't appear quite as good as they do in a mirror. It is nice when you back inside a building it seems to add light and works better than a mirror. Higher priced ones may have a better camera but for me it works fine and has a 5 x7 or so display. Plus in the summer I can pull it out and put it in the back window of the travel trailer for trips.

  2. #2gabelmatt2010-04-09 16:19

    What brand is the one that you have? I was looking at one called cabcam. It's only 300 bucks.

  3. #3stovein2010-04-11 18:57

    Offhand I can't tell you the brand, I bought it at sam's club as a rv rearview camera for under $100. You may get a better one for $300 I just couldn't justify it at a time and it works fine but I don't use the machine commercialy.

  4. #4smokey12010-04-12 01:17

    I purchased one at pep boys on sale at 59.00, usually 99.00. It's a small screen, but works ok to view the rear blind area. It is not very effective when running skid steer at high RPM. But very good to look at before backing up. For the money it was worth trying out, but I wouldn't spend big bucks for a larger screen model, because they aren't that effective.

  5. #5du5tyl2010-04-21 10:41

    Smokey1 - where did you mount the camera? I have a cat with the vertical lift, so was thinking that mounting it to the rear of the cab would be bad. I do not want to drill holes in the back of the engine compartment - so was looking for ideas.............

  6. #6smokey12010-04-21 11:23

    I mounted the screen stick on just over the front door glass on the roof. I would have liked to put the camera at the top of the roof, or as high as I could for the best veiw, but I ended up mounting it just above the engine compartment door, on my AC conenser frame. There was 2 screws on the frame that fit perfect. I will probably remount it on top of the AC unit on the roof, for the best view.. If you could find an RV rear view camera , It would work much better. They have 4 view pickups Left ,right,and up and down, You can also get a 5" or 7" screen. You can sometimes find these units on Ebay fof 200 to 300. But then you have to find the space to mount inside the cab. But for the money the small one does the trick. The RV models also give you a better judge on distance, The cheaper one you just have to get use to it. I have it on a HT-65 Racoon, which is a mixed breed of Case,Bobcat,John Deere,and Cat,And whaterver else was laying around. It's a super machine, but has very poor opperator vision to the rear. good luck

  7. #7stovein2010-04-21 11:50

    I got my rv camera at sam's club l yr ago for $99, it has the 5x7 screen. I couldn't put up above because of the dash panel so I made a bracket out of 1" light angle that surrounds it and bolts thru the rops cage on the side, it holds the screen at about 15 or 20 degrees from the cab wall so it is easy to see and not in the way. It's good to have in my case because I generally am out there alone and people who stop by aren't always aware of how quickly you reverse direction and generally walk straight up behind. I would hate to squash a door to door salesman.`Mount the camera at whatever height the crosspiece on the boom will interfere with the least at the height you usually carry a load or even back beyond the boom.

  8. #8cartzblown94z2010-05-10 13:55

    been thinking of installing one of these too since most of my work will be in yards and homes where there will be people and kids around. seen them at autozone for 60 bucks or so before

  9. #9rljeffers2010-06-01 17:47

    Glad I found this wasent sure would work. thanks