Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

226B tilt troubles

farmer5 ยท 2010-04-09 17:53

I have a 226B that the bucket drifts down when the loader is raised. It will tilt with pressure in either direction but when you are not trying to keep the bucket tipped up it will rotate until the bucket either hits the ground or is pointed straight down. I have been using this machine for a year and a half picking rocks, tearing out fence line etc. It has been a very trouble free machine and this problem just started yesterday. I am assuming spool valve seal problems.... Anyone with any experience on this??? Thanks...

Replies14
  1. #1maytag2010-04-09 19:50

    A schematic would be most helpful, without one its just a WAG as to how your circuit is configured, I would lean toward a pilot operated check valve not seating. Good luck, Maytag

  2. #2cps2010-04-09 19:59

    Sounds like cylinder seals to me!

  3. #3farmer52010-04-09 21:46

    I dont think it is cylinder seals because the problem came on so suddenly. I pulled the check valve and didnt see anything wrong with it but oil was going everywhere so I just put it back in. I have been running this machine since my initial post and it seems that I am loosing power in my up tilt. I do have a schematic for this machine but the cat dealer in my area was absolutely worthless in trouble shooting. Has anyone had valve body issues on their cat skid steer?? How about joystick issues??

  4. #4murphy7772010-04-10 06:57

    I had the same issue with the boom on my New holland...Checked spool valves, pulled the check valves....and so on, and after all that work it was the cylinder seal on one side. To find out which side it was, I disconnected the hydro hose at the cylinder and capped it and ran the machine boom up to see if it would slip down, and it did. A 60 dollar seal kit is what I needed and the boom works like a dream now.....good luck

  5. #5Stick Pro2010-04-10 21:10

    Everytime we have that problem it is the seals on the cylinder. Good luck

  6. #6Rebeldude2342010-04-11 12:56

    I would check the cylinder seals first just cause theyre easy. Some other possible failures could be: the spool not seating in the control valve, the divertor valve has internal leakage, or the line relief has failed.

  7. #7farmer52010-04-12 09:34

    well here is the update, Pulled the cylinders off, looked excellent inside. Swapped the joystick lift position with tilt position, still did the same thing. Pulled check valve and spool valves everything looks perfect. So Im back to the drawing board... Im thinking that I am going to pull the cylinders back off and just rebuild them for piece of mind.:Banghead:Banghead Rebeldude, where is the diverter valve located?? whats its function??

  8. #8farmer52010-04-13 12:57

    Alright, now since I am so pissed off at the local cat dealer for poor service and parts availability I am going to trade this machine off on either a mustang, or a john deere. The deere we are looking at is a 09 model with foot controls. its the bigger framed one with a 3000# lift capacity. The mustang is a 2000# lift cap and and is also an 09. Does anyone know anything about these machines or have an opinion either way on them?

  9. #9cps2010-04-13 17:10

    Jeees sounds abit extrem! ID take and reseal the tilt cylinder first I still think your problem lies there!

  10. #10KSSS2010-04-13 22:39

    I have had a similiar situation with a CASE 70XT and it was the spool valve not holding.

  11. #11jrtraderny2010-04-13 22:54

    Years ago I had a backhoe that did the same thing. Messed with it for months. Finally found out that one of the cylinder barrels had swelled from a shock load, letting the oil bypass inside the cylinder. If you pull them back apart measure the bores with an inside micrometer and see if the barrel has swelled up. jr

  12. #12Dutch Cat-King2010-04-14 02:23

    Have you controlled both line-relief valves,part number 216-6160. may remain open

  13. #13CATcountry2010-04-23 06:12

    If your getting crap service from the dealer call CAT corperate and tell them your issue it WILL go away. Few years back on the first 226 2nd CAT skid we had a problem with the bucket settling way to fast, full curl to ground empty in 4 min, took it to the dealer, bout 5 times 2 hour round trips over 6 months, they finally said it was to spec sorry, it only had 150 hours and paint in the bucket, called corporate we had a NEW machine in a week. And an apology. Frank

  14. #14farmer52010-05-25 14:40

    thanks fellas Ended up trading the machine off broken. Got a pretty good deal to trade for a john deere. Thanks for all the insight and input from you guys. I am going to keep in touch with that sales guy that took the cat and will try to report back what was wrong with that low hour cat skid steer. Thanks CJ