Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back-up camera on a skid steer??

OFF · 2014-02-03 09:27

I've had a "request" to install a backup camera on a new Bobcat S650. Anybody had any experience with backup cameras on skid steers? Do the automotive systems stand up ok? Is there a heavy equipment version available?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies25
  1. #1iaangus2014-02-03 10:11

    Take a look at "Ag Cam" they are very popular for farm equipment but also more expensive than an automotive back up cam.

  2. #2xcv8tr72014-02-03 10:14

    Track-vision. I plan on installing one on my new t590.

  3. #3tmc_312014-02-03 10:56

    I am interested in installing a backup camera on my NH L190 Skidsteer. I have looked at the web sites for both cameras, the track vision and the Ag Cam and neither one gives any pricing information. Anyone have any idea what they cost? I know that you can get a automotive back up camera at Autozone for about $80. I am sure there is no comparison as to quality but... Tim

  4. #4iaangus2014-02-03 11:39

    Not really sure but I think it would be at least a few hundred bucks.

  5. #5iaangus2014-02-03 12:01

    I'll try to post a lnk to a very informative forum page with a comparison of two popular ag use cameras. http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=41093&DisplayType=flat[/URL]

  6. #6iaangus2014-02-03 12:12

    The first link above didn't work, maybe you can try copy and past with this link. http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=41093&DisplayType=flat

  7. #7JNB2014-02-03 12:52

    I've been checking out a camera lately myself. Anything to save the neck! I found these http://www.rearviewsafety.com/home-page-featured-products/rvs-770613-rear-view-camera-system-backup-camera-trailer-rv-cam.html . It's listed as a skid steer cam by TadiBrothers along with a video review, but I can't get their link to work.

  8. #8heymccall2014-02-03 13:06

    I put a "visorview" unit on my 544K and in all my dump trucks.

  9. #9JNB2014-02-03 13:16

    Did you use their infrared camera? If so, how is the night vision?

  10. #10durallymax2014-02-03 15:09

    Heres one a guy put on an L220 http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=433938&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1

  11. #11JNB2014-02-03 15:23

    Thank you. Same cab as mine and saved me from having to cut out a piece of cardboard and look for a location.

  12. #12CRAFT2014-02-04 02:16

    I Will back you on this system JNB !!! … I've had the Rearview Safety System on my A-300 Bobcat for 4 years now with absolutely no issues …. I mainly bought it for Winter Snow-Removal where the back window you can NEVER see out of yet alone at Night …. The Sony cameras (2) that I purchased were the Heated ones that have the extra LEDS in them to prevent icing up or when the snow dust gets on them, in no time are they clear again ….. the Night vision is amazing with or with out back-up lights on ….. I've also appreciated having them when working in the rain, same thing the extra heat keeps the lens clear from moisture ….. These systems are tough and will take the vibrative torture that skid-steers naturally have …… "I Will Never Own Another Machine Without them" …….. Cheers

  13. #13Digdeep2014-02-04 22:44

    I guess CAT was smart to offer them on their D series skids and CTLs.

  14. #14powerjoke2014-02-04 22:57

    i gotta mirror pj

  15. #15JNB2014-02-04 23:27

    Thanks CRAFT!

  16. #16durallymax2014-02-05 02:06

    In a way yes, but at the same time in others defense the ass on those is so big you probably need it.

  17. #17Digdeep2014-02-05 09:28

    That is true But you actually get the best visibility in the industry with it. I measured it at the Cat dealership and you can see an object a little less than 18" high and two feet back from the bumper.

  18. #18newtodirt2014-02-05 09:51

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwm8pMKW-ro I'd think a high mounting would be better, but who knows

  19. #19KSSS2014-02-05 10:50

    Digdeep your kidding yourself if you think that is industry leading visibility.

  20. #20Digdeep2014-02-05 12:01

    With the camera. The rear visibility is terrible without it. There is no blind spot with the wide angle camera...you can see wider than both loader towers and down to a height just above the bottom of the rear engine door less than two feet away from the door. You can't see that well on anyone's skid and you don't even need to turn around. On top of that, the machine also comes standard with a wide angle rear view mirror.

  21. #21Swannny2014-02-05 12:29

    That's what I thought as well. On the CATS I've drilled a hole with a hole saw for the camera mounted inside of the door for protection...no wires exposed. Mounted the camera with windshield tape (super sticky stuff) so it avoids transferring all the vibrations and shock, and if a limb pokes in the magic spot - it would simply push the camera inwards with probably no harm done. I simply tap into the back up alarm system for the camera to get power when in reverse. As far as the viewing screen mounted down low - will reflect sunlight at times, get dusty, get a boot hitting it when the operator gets in or out, etc. Poorly thought out, imo.

  22. #22CRAFT2014-02-06 17:11

    To each his own how it's wired in ……… I prefer to have it on at all times …….. as I posted that I primarily bought mine for Night Time winter work, this camera system does not get removed in off winter seasons ….. I found it so useful for working on construction sites, or roading the machine, or as in when i'm mulching narrow trail systems …. NO ONE can sneak up behind you !!! ….. it became a courtesy tool for those times to move over and let the followers go by your machine …. As far as i'm concerned there is no in-cab rear-view mirror that can give enough vision past All of the blind spots that ALL Skid-steers have !!!! ….. JMHO

  23. #23JNB2014-02-06 17:40

    I think you're right. Over time, shutting the door can't be good for the monitor either.

  24. #24durallymax2014-02-07 00:10

    I guess its a matter of opinion but in my mind a factory backup camera counts, every other OEM can offer it. Our Fendt's screen can display two cameras at once in addition to everything else. Cameras are common place now. They do offer the best view. However, I'll give you one thing on your CNH machines KSSS, without a camera they have the best rear visibility. Hopefully trying out a D series Cat tomorrow.

  25. #25stovein2014-02-07 09:03

    I put a automotive backup camera in the skidsteer 3 winters ago, it is good enough for me but daytime snow plowing there is not much definition between the white snow banks and the white road. Also when on the road, traffic coming from the rear is really deceptive due to the fisheye lens. When backing into a dark shed it is just as though the lights were turned on. If you have kids around at all you should have one and of course it keeps you from backing over the occasional salesman.