Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back up camera on a skidsteer. Any one try this yet?

Ropinghorns · 2013-04-27 22:49

I drove several new style skid steers in the last year and choose to purchase a Bobcat t630 that had one of the easiest rear views of them all. Now I am thinking of putting a backup camera or [rear view] in it. Just cant see what would be wrong with preventing my neck from hurting at the end of the day. Any thoughts on the subject? [ I do have a cab.]

Replies20
  1. #1Oxbow2013-04-28 10:45

    It might be slick! I have run several of the E model Cat excavators that have the rear view camera and the problems ecnountered are that I would have to train myself to look at the screen, and if working in dusty or muddy conditions it doesn't take much to obscure the lens.

  2. #2CRAFT2013-04-28 16:06

    I've had one on the A-300 for 3yrs now ! …. Absolutely LOVE It !!! ….. It came from "Rearview Systems" …… www.rearviewsafety.com ….. the one I bought is heated for winter use (extra LED's) and uses a 7" monitor, the monitor can be set-up how you view it … eg: when you look at the screen it's as if you were looking into a rear view mirror, it's like u'r driving a truck as in being dependant or the mirrors for backing up only better ….Night vision is great too. Check out the web link, that's how I found out about "Right Here on HEF " ….. cheers

  3. #3Hopuser2013-10-25 19:22

    We installed one on our Cat 299 and love it I saw a skidsteer with rear view mirrors mounted on the boom arms they were like sport car mirrors but not sure if they worked but they looked cool. They would work well while traming I think ,

  4. #4Ropinghorns2013-10-25 23:16

    Well, I had mine installed in the center of the back door on the t630 where the bu alarm goes. I love it. I think I use the rear view mirror that it is mounted inside of [like a car] more than the camera. It is nicer at night because of the glare that comes from the roof window. So I am constantly using the rear view mirror in the daytime.

  5. #5CRAFT2013-10-25 23:26

    Until you raise the boom ! …….. And in the Dark the mirrors wouldn't work ! …… And they would be easily broken off, unless you are working in a totally open area where there are absolutely NO trees with those unforeseen Branches waiting to eagerly break those shinny Mirrors off …. Oooopppps !!! ….. JMHO

  6. #6oceanobob2013-10-26 16:01

    I would like one that is easily transferable from dump truck to rental tractor to reach lift to backhoe to dump truck etc etc

  7. #7ValleyFirewood2013-10-26 17:32

    I can't say I've really needed to see that detailed behind me. If I'm working inches from something I can't hit I have someone spot me.

  8. #8Digdeep2013-10-26 21:59

    It's an option on all new CAT D series machines and shows up in their LCD monitor when you pull the joystick in reverse.

  9. #9pafarmer2014-05-19 21:03

    My CAT 299XHP's came from the factory with installed. Great fish eye type camera system. These should be standard on all skidsteer s in my opinion. Very nice to have and use.

  10. #10hmearth2014-05-23 06:46

    I have a Deere 329d the camera is mounted on the very back of the bonet And two side mirrors off a 20t Hitachi excavator mounted on boom i can see everything Behind without having to turning my head

  11. #111466IH2014-05-24 02:10

    Rearview would have been nice lastnight. I backed a buddy of mines case into a pond but that is why they have warning labels saying not to operate machinery on beer cans lol

  12. #12hmearth2014-05-24 03:47

    Well camera or much else would have helped for that case. Ha

  13. #131466IH2014-05-24 10:02

    Oh yeah did I mention it was 2a.m. and I had been drinking cans of courage since about 5p.m. I was so bad I thought a little Ford Ranger would pull it out. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  14. #14AlldayRJ2014-05-24 13:25

    Wow you sound like a super cool beer drinking equipment operator guy. I bet you can drink a million beers no problem

  15. #15kckc2014-05-29 18:44

    I put one (well had it installed) in mine. LOVE IT. couple of issues is that only one company makes a camera for a skidsteer that I found and it was tre-expensive. I ended up getting one online that was not cheap but not the super high priced one. Things to watch for are where you put in so you don't knock it when entering/exiting - if you door slides you have to make sure the monitor is clear and if you work in the rain or your machine sits outside then you'd have to have a good cover for this monitor - the cameras are weather proof but not the monitor.

  16. #16Lizza2016-04-02 01:27

    backup camera system

  17. #17bighorn062016-04-02 08:34

    I purchased a wireless backup camera and screen from Amazon, paid less than $50. It works great. I mounted the camera on the rear guard and the screen has a suction cup, I wish I had gotten a larger screen. Tony

  18. #18Rentalstop2016-04-08 11:59

    Bought a camera and screen from Amazon as well around $50. Mounted in Bobcat S550. Caterpillar with deluxe screen is camera ready, any Cat mechanics know where to hookup the camera? Dealer told me it was plug n play, but costs $400. There has to be a place to hookup a cheap camera.

  19. #19Willie B2016-04-08 14:21

    Not me, I'm good for two beers max, I drink them after I'm done for the day. My sister received a back up camera as a gift. It wasn't the best quality. She was demonstrating it and backed over a mailbox. I think it'd be a great add on, but studying it is like looking for sex of a fetus in a sonogram. You need one that gives you a picture of what you see.

  20. #20Lizza2017-04-10 10:51

    backup camera usually mounts on the rear roof of vehicle to get best viewing angle , the monitor you can choose is clip-on rear view mirror monitor or stand alone monitor. but easily wiring backup camera system is wireless reverse camera system, that no need run cable between camera and monitor, this is the source: https://brakelightcamera.com/product-category/wireless-backup-cameras/