Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Converting gas engined plate compactor to hydraulic …

AirBornOne ยท 2013-05-18 06:12

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what size hydraulic motor to install. I'm guessing the original gas motor @ 3-5 HP. My thinking is the HP is less a factor than the rpm range. This is an old pavement (water resevoir & drip lines/valve) walk behind plate compactor a tool rental shop was selling. The fella had a nice looking Honda (not original) motor attached however the OEM sheave did not mount correctly.The motor shaft,despite being straight (or so slightly tapered to be seen by eye) used a bolt into the end of the shaft to secure the sheave.And while the sheave diameter & keyway matched, the sheave would simply slip back and bear against the engine case I did get to see the thing operate,if only briefly.I seem to recall a problem with the throttle cable too. I offered to buy it w/o the motor and brought it home. I'll be using this on my TB016 excavator's hydraulic accessory circuit (8gpm,3000psi) for compacting my residential driveway and walkways. Any thoughts or help is appreciated. Thank you. Jay. P.S. I'll get some picts up in the next day or 2.

Replies8
  1. #1AirBornOne2013-05-18 13:27

    Added photo I actually had a photo already-though it was intended for a separate matter. TY J

  2. #2caterpillarmech2013-05-18 18:52

    Shouldn't be a big deal just mount a small drive motor to run it.

  3. #3pondo2013-08-03 18:42

    Hey Airbornone How did u do with plate compactor?

  4. #4AirBornOne2013-08-06 19:41

    No progress Pondo. The compactor is in a few pieces for inspections. I found a bolt missing from the eccentric housing so I've decided to open it up & check the bearings etc. Otherwise a Good cleaning (paint?) before assy. then choose a motor based on the sheave shaft size, my hydraulics and $. Finally a method of attachment to the TB016. I'll be sure to post picts. Skies Jay. P.S. Hmm maybe I should use the rearend from a truck I need to scrap and power the compactor with the auger!!

  5. #5pondo2014-08-08 20:38

    Hi Air Born I am struggling packing small pads and patio's. So am bugging u again to see if u had an progress on hoe packer ? Does anyone know or understand stand how hoe packers compare to diesel plates . I need be able to pack 12" lifts of gravel.

  6. #6AirBornOne2014-08-14 03:04

    No progress... Hi Pondo, no progress to date. FWIW I would think this little walk behind compactor is too small for 12" lifts. As for the diesel plates I could hazard a guess that the diesels provide a more consistant,lower RPM (= lower frequency & maybe higher energy shock wave??? ) output mainly due to the nature of diesel motors. Might want to check in @ one of the 'Construction & Demolition' forums. HTH J

  7. #7lantraxco2014-08-14 04:15

    I don't recall even with our bigger hoe pack on a 690B Deere excavator that you could punch down 12" lifts, but maybe. Mostly used when covering pipe before paving or patching which is different.

  8. #8pondo2014-08-14 05:08

    Okay. Thxs guys