Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe arm creeps down fast

Bad Idea? ยท 2008-12-04 10:06

Hey Guys this maybe an easy fix I don't know, but I find that my backhoe creeps down very fast when I raise it up, now I have not checked anything yet not even the fluid level, but I just thought I'd ask here before I do anything. It is something I can live with if I have to, other than everytime I have to move it I have to chain the backhoe in place before I do. That is kind of a pain if I'm trying to move around an object, and I think it will get old fast. I'm a newbe so take it easy on me. Thanks B

Replies5
  1. #1curly2008-12-04 11:09

    Valve sticking open? Try wiggling and smacking the control a bit.

  2. #251kw2008-12-04 11:10

    My guess would be control valve needs a rebuild or the cylinder needs a rebuild.

  3. #3coopers2008-12-05 06:08

    Ditto. The old case 580B I operated for a few years did the same...it creeped down, not fast but it went down. Just needs to have cylinder rebuild.

  4. #4cread2008-12-10 21:40

    It could be the valve sticking open. It could be a lever out of adjustment. Most of the time its the hydraulic cylinder leaking internal around the piston. What we do is place the hoe in the air hold it up with our crane. Cap and plug the lines to the cylinder. Lower the crane if the cylinder moves it needs it needs rebuilt. If the cylinder needs rebuilt its easy if the rod and cylinders are not scratched up. I have done a few on cases super L's and super M's if they needed any machine work I sent them to our CAT dealer they did a good job fast and for a good price.

  5. #5Jeremy2008-12-16 15:01

    Ditto what cread said. Real quick you may want to swap ARV's(ie. Piston and Rodside of suspected hydraulic circuit.) If its a SUPER FAST drift, more than likely the cylinder needs repacking. Jeremy