Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe attachment

CEM ยท 2009-03-11 22:49

I just purchased a Gehl backhoe by Bradco. Im using it on a 4615. Does anyone have any advise? I have never used one before.

Replies24
  1. #1td25c2009-03-11 22:59

    How can we help CEM? Give me more details of the problem. I have a 1997 jd 8875 with a backhoe and know it forward and backward.I would not trade it for anything.

  2. #2CEM2009-03-11 23:21

    Dont have any problems yet, just purchased it and havent hooked it up yet. Just wondering if there were any tips, that might help operating it. Thanks

  3. #3td25c2009-03-11 23:57

    You will like the skid loader backhoe combonation.Put tracks on it and your allmost unstopable.They are very stable when diging.My buddys keep telling me I need a miny excavater .I carry the bucket and backhoe when I move the machine.It dose not take long to change attachments.I would not trade it for a miny excavater.Any questions ,hollar any time.

  4. #4CEM2009-03-12 00:06

    Thanks, I put you in my contact list. If I have any problems, I will be sure to contact you. Thanks again.

  5. #5Construct'O2009-03-12 00:12

    The first pic is the Deere skidsteer backhoe i had,which was a extendahoe model 911.It was heavyduty and had a lot of power .I was using it on a Deere 332CTL. The main thing i didn't like was having to climb back and fore into the machine to move while working.There was a bracket like for the three point on a tractor that attached from the backhoe to the ball on the front of the CTL to keep the backhoe from pulling on the cylinder of the quick tach. It was hard to connect that from the cab when you went to take it off and put it on.I did like the extendahoe you never have enough reach.If i was in a hurry to get something done i usually just had someone set in the skid and move me back and fore as i needed to move.So you might want to keep that in mind. I traded it back to my dealer who gave me exactly what i gave for it on my Deere 50D mini.But before i did that i got my 303 Cat mini and after getting it it was like day and night.I love a mini.More reach,no getting in and out to move ,plus have that backfill blade there with you all the time. But you will like you new backhoe,but just don't get on a mini or it will be gone.Good luck:usa

  6. #6334 lawn co2009-03-12 00:37

    how is it an extend a hoe model? i cant find anywhere that it seems to extend from.

  7. #7CEM2009-03-12 01:05

    I think he meant , ; It is not like the straight arm backhoes they are selling today, where you have to move your skidsteer to dump the bucket.

  8. #8Construct'O2009-03-12 09:04

    If you look at the stick up by the 911 decal (notice it is heavier built there)that part has a cylinder inside it that extends the stick out just like the big tractor backhoe does. It will extend the stick out another 2 ft. that is where they get the 911..........9ft. digging depth when in like it is now and 11 ft. with it extended. There is a foot pedal up on the right hand side of the platform(on the floor) that extends the stick.:usa

  9. #9td25c2009-03-12 10:17

    That is the same model I have.The pro 911 is a good hoe.The cat 303 looks like a good unit.I got to run a mini for the first time last summer.It was a "IHI" brand.I almost bought it.Most of my jobs ,I get along fine with the Jd8875 and 911 hoe.There are times the mini would be handy.Mabe I will get one this summer,I will still have to keep the skid loader do to all the attachments I have for it.They are all great machines.

  10. #10Construct'O2009-03-12 19:16

    25C I do field tile drainage work for farmers,so do a lot of tile repair work along with my new installs.Also do a lot of backhoe work when i connect into my new tile main. I really liked the skid backhoe setup on my CTL which i'm usually always working in the mud most of the time so i need something that will get around in the mud. The two main things i didn't like was having to have to get in and out of the machine to move.The other was always having to change back and fore form my backfill blade to the backhoe.Yeah you can backfill with the backhoe,but seem like it takes for ever.I usually would just do several repairs and then go back and to backfill. Only thing it always seem like the repairs was always a longs ways a part. Anyway i love the mini(one stop do all machine) for doing my tile repair,don't have to worry about getting stuck ,can swing the dirt 360 if need be,and the blade is always right there with you .It works good for me. Like i said the backhoe attachment sure held its value good,when i traded it in on my Deere 50D the saleman didn't bat an eye on the tradein value.Gave me the same price i gave for it when i bought it.It was still in great shape also as you can tell. The extra bucket is a 36" bucket that i was going to use for septic systems .The 911 had all kinds of power on the Deere 332 CTL that i used it on.:usa

  11. #11td25c2009-03-12 20:12

    We repaird broken tile monday and tuesday in river bottoms.I know what you mean about the repairs being a long ways apart.I can reach back from the seat on the hoe to move around,but I might have long arms.With the grouser tracks it gets along pretty well.One thing I noticed when I get in deeper mud ,The skidloader having a flat belly pan just kinda sits down like a turtle.I have sat on the hoe seat and work the hoe levers with my nees and the track levers with my hands.I have took it though some pretty bad mud like that.I dont thingk I could ever get away from using my skidloader with the attachmets I have for it.The mini excavater would definatly be handyer in some places.I might get one this summer.That 303 cat looks nice.What do you think of an "IHI" mini hoe Construct'O?

  12. #12Construct'O2009-03-13 00:06

    As far as the IHI i don't know much about them except what i have heard,there is a couple guys on another form that has used them and thought they was pretty good.Never said much of anything bad about them. I believe you are not far from a dealer,i think there is one in Kentucy.They said they had good parts service.I'm just repeating what they said so:beatsme As for the 303 it has been a good little machine.I have been surprised how good it does for it's size.I was wanting something bigger at the time ,but it was priced right so went with it to start with.Here most of the time the digging is in good black dirt or wet heavy clay. I have had it for only a year and it has already more them half paid for it's self in just doing tile repair.No one else wants to mess with the repair work ,so have all that i can do of that type work and i can charge about the same for it as a bigger excavator,plus it is a breeze to move in and out.Not like the old Cat 225 that use to have years ago. Its a muddy job ,but don't have to worry about the competition taking your work at least.They don't want to get muddy :usa

  13. #13dirthog282009-03-13 17:45

    I had a backhoe attachment on my old Bobcat 743, what a piece of crap, it was nice until the invention of the mini excavator, you can do so much more with a mini like constructo said 360, load truck, pull yourself through mud, crawl up and down piles. I currently just rent a mini when needed, I'd like to come across on something like Constructo's got. I do alot of existing residential work - addition footing, crawlspaces, downspouts, concrete demo and anymore half the time I use a mini rather than my Bobcat, tear up less yard with excavator. Alot of times people get backhoe attachments for the occasional digging they do, which is what I did when I had one, but that every once in a while time, you'd be better off just renting a mini and be more productive and alot cheaper to rent a mini occasionaly then buy a attachment. 25C I've ran a Ihi 18J and 28J's quit a bit, there nice little machines and built very well, you can find Ihi usually pretty cheap. Hydralics are smooth but a little slow compared to the newer machines.

  14. #14td25c2009-03-13 18:51

    I guess the reason why I have not bought a mini yet is because the skidloader can do many jobs with the attachments with one tractor.I always carry the backhoe and front bucket on the trailer,and sometimes the pallet forks.When it comes time to backfill I put the front bucket back on.Many times I have to move dirt around on job sites & load trucks.The skidloader is fast for dirt moving,it likes it.The jd 911 hoe is powerful and pretty fast .I might get a mini this summer,the"IHI" is the only brand I have ran.Its like comparing a dozer to an excavater.The dozer is better at moving dirt on the surface,The excavater is better for ditching and deep subsurface work.In some ways I feel like I have both with the skidloader and backhoe attachment.

  15. #15CEM2009-03-14 21:28

    This is one of the backhoes without the extenda. You can see the arm by the bucket isnt near as thick.

  16. #16CEM2009-03-19 21:48

    I got it hooked up today and gave it a try. I think as soon as I learn the control feel, I will like this machine.

  17. #17td25c2009-03-19 22:10

    That looks like a good unit CEM.I bet you will get the feel pretty quick.

  18. #18CEM2009-03-19 22:17

    25C; Thanks!

  19. #19td25c2009-03-19 22:31

    I like the skidloader backhoe attatchment.Its a money machine.You can do alot of jobs with it.Can you reach the skidloader levers when sitting on the backhoe?I can on my jd 8875.I just lift the outriggers,and reach back to move the machine.I love it.

  20. #20CEM2009-03-20 21:44

    Yes I have dug with it a little, and I moved it by reaching back and moving my t bar controls. I love it. My gehl handles it pretty well also, but when I put on a downhill area, it does seem a minute amount lighter in the rear than I like, so I am going to make a bracket for a set of add on weights, just to ease my mind.

  21. #21td25c2009-03-20 22:07

    You can add wieghts and it will help.I would add the "grouser tracks" to it .They will add wieght to the tractor and traction.You will love them.

  22. #22CEM2009-03-20 22:13

    I intend to add the tracks at a later date, but I have to let my toy fund build up a little first. When you put the tracks on, do the tires still wear down? The reason I ask, is; My tires will probably be the next thing I have to do to the machine. Everything else is in top shape.

  23. #23CEM2009-03-20 22:30

    25C ; I just found an ad on ebay for choice of grouser or logering tracks, your choice. They say logering has better flotation. Which would you choose?

  24. #24td25c2009-03-20 23:17

    I will stay with the grouser for my choise.I keep the tracks on all the time.I notice some sidewall wear on the tires and a little tread wear.For what I do it takes the tracks to get the job done.You need them CEM.I was bellyed up in mud today fixing field tile.I shove & pull myself around with the hoe while working the track levers.I rarely get stuck.