Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe attachment TD7E

ironpounder ยท 2012-02-07 07:21

Does any of you folks have a backhoe attachment on your dozer? I am thinking very seriously of putting one on my TD7E. I understand that the OEM attachment needed to be installed by the manufacturer when you ordered the dozer new, it's about 30 years to late for that now. It looks to me that no mater what you buy, it will require custom mounts. I am hoping the hydraulics will handle it too. I have attached a photo of a little John Deere that I found, These photoes are scarce! If anyone has done this, I"d appreciate your comments. Thanks!

Replies9
  1. #1spitzair2012-02-07 11:27

    My next door neighbour has an old JD 2010 with a backhoe on it. The backhoe hydraulics are driven off a seperate pump on the tractor PTO and it has it's own hydraulic reservoir mounted on the right armrest of the dozer. I don't think that the dozer's integrated hydraulics for the blade would be enough to handle the backhoe, hence the substantial pump on the PTO. If you could go this route you wouldn't have to worry about plumbing in to your existing hydraulics. The backhoe looks identical to the one in your picture. I don't have any good photos of it and it's buried in junk right now but next time I'm there I can try to get you some pictures of how it's mounted, the pump, etc...

  2. #2Greg2012-02-07 12:50

    Have one for a John Deere 450C here. Don't use it much as it is only good for long straight trenching with out much of any angles or turns in it. Takes to long to reset if you plan on digging any kind of an excavation of any size. It is also very heavy on the rear end with the how mounted. Loading on to trailer or lowboy is a real nightmare too. I will sell you the one I have including the quicktatch mount which bolts to the rear of the tractor.

  3. #3buck22332012-02-07 18:52

    I have a 1974 TD8E with the back hoe on it. I will try and get you some pictures so you can see how it came from the factory. I just recently got this unit and don't know a lot about it. The hoe does work and it is factory setup.

  4. #4OldandWorn2012-02-07 19:41

    I have a friend with a 450JD loader that has a backhoe. He sez it's like carrying an elephant around on your back.

  5. #5stumpjumper832012-02-07 20:50

    i have one for a deere 450c trackloader. I'll make you a deal on it... have the tractor mount as well. I found out that the front bucket will tear anything loose that I need to load, and that the mini excavator digs a faster trench. The loader has a spearate 28 gpm, 1" line out the back for running the hoe, I'm going to see about running a mulcher on it... Seriously though, In my opinion, you better off rethinking that idea. My bet is that you will find that it makes your dozer very light in the nose.

  6. #6heavylift2012-02-07 21:04

    Ran a 450 with a backhoe in the early 80's , really didn't care for it at all.

  7. #7ironpounder2012-02-08 06:46

    View attachment 88039 View attachment 88040 View attachment 88039 View attachment 88038 View attachment 88037 Hmmm... Thanks for the good input. I think the factory install used a seperate pump run off a pto shaft out the back plate with its own tank and all. I was going to set this up so I could back up to it and make a "quick" attachment. (you know, less than an hour ) My idea was to use an aftermarket skid steer or tractor hoe and build the attachment brackets that bolt onto the back of the dozer and pin it. I think the biggest one I saw out there ran around 2000 pounds with a 10 or 12 foot digging depth. I imagine it is like dragging an elephant around on your back and with the extra weight, almost impossible to get a good finish grade. But, when you need a hoe, you need a hoe, I almost got the machine stuck the other day working around a muddy stream . If I had the hoe, I could stay up on the bank. I also have some footers to put in and some sidewalks to do. This machine is primarily for working around my place and I don't plan on doing to much traveling with it. If I even mention getting a small excavator or another machine I will be sleeping in the yard with the wildlife. I am hoping to pull this off for a couple of grand, I don't want to have the cost of the machine again hanging on the back. Oh, and I might be interested in the ones mentioned for sale, got any idea what the weight might be? Thanks

  8. #8heavylift2012-02-08 17:06

    If I remember correctly, the roof raised up on the 450. So you wouldn't bump you head while setting in the seat. Stuck, yes, they weren't very wet ground friendly.

  9. #9Groo2012-02-08 18:06

    You'd have to luck into a descent hoe for cheap for this to make any sense. I also agree with making removable. We've got a small 3 point hoe for the little kubota....and managed to recently break a second piston backing into a tree. The first time it was a mound of dirt.