Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe Boom

Indiana Farmer · 2025-03-05 09:55

Hello, I have a 2004 case 580 SM series 2, it has an extendahoe and a mechanical pin on thumb. I have often thought for what I have and use it for (farm clean up) I would like to have a hydraulic thumb and even though it’s very handy I could do away with the extendahoe (it would be lighter). My question is could I just buy a used/salvaged standard dipper arm with a hydraulic thumb mounted on it and use the existing lines from the extendahoe to run the thumb. Is this doable or would I be just as well off to leave well enough alone. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Toolslinger2025-03-05 12:13

    Does your extension have a mechanical lock via a pin or such? My old JD 310 has a pin to retain the extension, so plausibly the hydraulic circuit could be stolen. If not, you might be able to use a couple selector valves to choose between the extension, and thumb.

  2. #2Indiana Farmer2025-03-05 13:57

    I believe so there is a place to put a pin to lock up the extension, it just looks to me like the entire arm is held with the main pin and the pin for the cylinder. I would think you could change them out and just plug the hydraulic lines of the extension to the thumb. It may not be cost effective but I thought if you could come across a salvaged dipper arm and if nothing else have a thumb mounted on it you could change them without a lot of effort. At least you’d have both a standard or extendaboom.

  3. #31466IH2025-03-05 14:16

    If you pin your ex-hoe in one spot you can install a T fitting in each of the extention hoses with a simple valve so you can raise Thumb, pull ex lock pin and have both. Most of those machines I have worked on have an electrically operated solenoid valve for the auxiliary. The biggest thing you will have to be care of with just adding the T fittings is the circuit relief. Most all Thumb manufacturers have a spect for relief so that the bucket cylinder will just push Thumb circuit over the relief so you don't damage anything.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-03-05 21:05

    The post above this one has some Case used parts, not sure it’s affordable though. As much as you don’t use the Extend-hoe, I would tee into it and pin the slide as has been suggested.