Hello wise friends. This is NOT an attempt to reignite any old debates on the subject, instead I am taking a poll. I have read many threads on several boards on the topic, and there is no consensus. People of all disciplines have strong arguments for each way. The question : Installation of lug nuts- dry, oil, never seize, or some other lubricant? This poll is ONLY for steel nuts on steel studs, automotive/light truck/trailer sized. Plain stuff, no special coatings or galvanized or anything; and we are only talking about threads, not the tapered seat. I am posting this on Agriculture, Machinist, Engineering and related boards. If there is interest, I will start a new thread on each board with the poll results. Thanks in advance for your input!
Forklift, wheeled skid, tractor and light trucks. I use never seize. Then I'm asking myself HTF did I get that there.......
Why not follow the OEM for what ever machine your working on ?
Agreed. Because some specify dry, others some sort of lubricant, etc, etc. IMHO the biggest risk when deviating from an OEM procedure is that the final torque applied may be way off from what is required. The OEM specified torque takes account of the lubrication, or not as the case may be. Most mechanics would have no idea whatsoever how to adjust the torque they applied on the basis of having changed the lubrication practice.
If you put Copper Coat on my cars tire stud threads and did not reduce the torque a lot, it would strip them as they are fairly fine thread. It takes years to figure out how much to torque depending on thread type and material being tightened into. Simon C
Just spit on it and give it some ugga-duggas.
Rock digging on lug nuts?????
I vote on using Nickel anti-seize. Not sure why I use it, other than to **** my wife off because “ Everyone knows, if you use anti-seize, no one knows, where it goes” lol, Seems that’s one thing, every time I use it, it gets all over me. Yes, as soon as you add anything, you are affecting torquing values. I always thought that the purpose of using fine threads, was so it didn’t strip out.
Stud pilot--very small amount of anti-seize on stud & thimble, very small amount. Hub pilot a drop of oil on contact area of built in rotating washer none on threads. All others dry.