Hi folks. I'm not much of an operator. I have a Ford 555 with an 18" and a 24" bucket. Have you ever heard of an add-on that covers the teeth, making for a smooth or flat scraper? Without having to take the teeth off (i.e. it just bolts or otherwise just goes on over the teeth)? If so, how about one that sticks out a foot or so on each side? Where I might I buy one? Thanks in advance of any help.
Welcome to the Forums James Riley!:drinkup Usually if one needs a flat scraper blade on a backhoe bucket just weld a piece of cutting edge or flat plate to the teeth. It's easy to burn off after your done using it if there is enough meat left on the tooth or just change the teeth out if not.
That's what I typically do. If it's just a short job and you'll be taking it back off soon, just use hot rolled flat steel. If it's going to stay on the bucket for a long time you might want to use an AR plate or a cutting edge blade like CM suggested.
I made a V shaped cutting edge that fits over the teeth, front is 1 inch thick cutting edge, back is 1/2 plate. It has a chain welded to the back that I run up to loop on back of bucket and tighten with a load binder. once it is wedged on tight it stays tight. Mine is on a 48" bucket on 210 Volvo excavator.
How about a half inch thick plate, the width of your bucket... then weld on some muffler clamps, bolt them on your teeth when needed.
then the 1st time you push backward go pick it up.and weld it on
Not if you have a good welder.:cool2
cool2, I was talking about the bolt part of the muffler clamp, I have tried bolt on things thinking well just wont push back, and I didn't push back for about 30 seconds lol that's an old man like I'm lol
I don't think 1/2 inch U bolts and their nuts would break, I'll be making a set soon and let you know how they turn out.
Gotcha!
I was thinking of building something bolt on. Use some 1/2" or thicker material and build a v then run a couple straps back and drill a couple holes in the sides of the bucket. Welding a pies of Chaim toneach side and binding it around sounds like a pretty good idea.
Post 33 in this thread HeavyEquipmentForums shows one that I made a while back. This guy sells them if you don't want to make your own. http://site-1414520094282-5004272069785694057.webs.com/
Your responses were exactly what I was looking for. I want to thank you all for taking the time to respond. You saved me from having to buy another machine I couldn't afford.