Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe Bucket Woun’t exntend

jfkseb413 ยท 2012-10-06 18:23

I have a 1989 Ford 755A ford backhoe. I was digging up a rock this afternoon and I curled the backhoe bucket under it to flip it. after I flipped it I went to extend the bucket out to dig some more and it would not extend. I have checked for leaks and can't find any. Can U guys help me to fix this issue. I really need this backhoe as I was hit by the June 1st tornado in June 2011 and am still digging out from the debri. Everything else on the backhow seems to be working. If I shut off the engine and then release the pressure the bucket will extend to a point. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated..... Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1jimg9842012-10-06 20:26

    may have bent that cylinder rod i done that before that is a big stout machine

  2. #2sheepfoot2012-10-06 21:44

    I would check the linkage to the spool for equal travel from the centering spring first, then if it travels the same in both directions go to the cylinder, extend the backhoe out with the bucket teeth in the ground, stop engine and release pressure on the bachhoe functions by working your levers,( on this test you are checking for bad piston seals or a loose piston bolt/nut) remove the hose to the top of the bucket cylinder and secure it, depending on the way the fitting is try to catch your oil or deflect it to a safe container some way. Start your machine and slowly move your lever to extend you bucket out. Do not allow the bucket to move because you are looking for bypassing oil coming out of the port where you took the hose off. If you have a constant flow you have a issue with the piston being loose or piston seals bad. If there is no flow then the issue may be in the circut releif for the bucket out.

  3. #3jfkseb4132012-10-07 08:04

    Thanks guys.....This sounds like I will need to hire somebody that knows more about this then I do. I am not much of a Mechanic*and it doesn't sound like I would have the tools to fix this. I can replace starters, rediators that type of stuff but not much knowledge about this type of stuff. I will have to see if there is a good Mechanic fo this that lives near Brimfield ma. Thanks.