Most of what I hear on the news seems to be doom and gloom regarding the economy. Is demand for backhoe work really slowing down alot? In Ontario, seems building has peaked out and people are getting nervous, especially when the newspapers print it, everybody stops spending. Gas prices don't help. So what is really going on out there, are there backhoes sitting idle waiting for the auction block? Phil
Out here in saskatchewan tehre is a huge demand for it. I was calling around to a few places to try and se what they would charge for this or that, im still a little new to the whole job quoting, and every single person I called was booked up at least a month in advance. I tore my acl and have to hold out on doing a ton of work, but I could work 7 days a week here with my backhoe if I was good to go.
Well out here in New Mexico , backhoe work hasnt slowed a bit let alone any other dirtwork we have been busy and they keep wanting more
Not much here in WA either, still busy.
Backhoes are running and for all kinds of stuff and some oddball jobs are being taken on. some I can't exactly figure what they were doing when I passed. It don't matter how goofy if someone is willing to pay it's work. Lot's of regular stuff happening too. Going to help raise a barn this weekend, gonna set the poles with... the backhoe. lot's of septic tank jobs to be done if I can get the old ford running again. For the barn, guy is renting me a new holland I think. want to try it out should be interesting. Houses may not being built but there is lots of other work to be done.
Yeah---my specialty market is re-doing the poor workmanship by the builder's excavator.Good job security.
Locally if you have a backhoe it's working or you don't want to. Still building houses all over, things might start to slow down but at this point it's still all go.
OK, OK, what I want to know is how can all these backhoes still be busy?:beatsme I mean after all every knows that backhoes and gradalls are useless?
Hi there ,i,m from Scotland ,i'm new to this forum ,i came across it whilst trying to find a part for my mate ,i operate a JCB 3cx sitemaster backhoe (or 180 we call them over here).The last few months have been really quite on the construction sites.Our economy is in a real bad way ,all thanks to ASS holes running this country into the ground.I mean we're paying £5.10 for a gallon of diesel !!!!!!.:Banghead:soapbox.Sorry for the rant and butting in on your thread guys..
I think in todays market If I had the funds to start up from scratch I would have a mini combo bobcat/excavatore all able to fit on a hook lift dump platform body. most people today are staying put and adding on or renovating which all the bigger jobs are disapearing for the tlb's. although I still think they are a versitile machine . but with fuel going up and transport cost lugging around a heavier machine ore one that will use more fuel to get the job done is now being reconsidered.
Gradalls are a handy machine. Good for low overhead conditions. I've been looking to get a Gradall XL3300 and a Gradall XL2200 which is the small track machine. I have 3 backhoes and they work everyday. Although I purchased a Volvo EW55B rubber tired mini excavator and that goes out on rental all the time. I think there's just an abundance of backhoes and a famine of work. Around here theres no work.
while i belive that there is work out there for backhoes, you have to account for the number of hoes out there. In my area the companies building developments used them for hoe packs, with the delopments at near standstill, the hoes are either sold or sent to do something else. After all the backhoe is the most versitle piece of equipment out there. While an expert at nothing, its still second to almost everything.
my backhoes havent stopped all year work has slowed instead of haveing 3 or 4 jobs going on at once i have 2 but i cant complain as long as there isnt a machine sitting at my shop. Knock on wood!
no work mine is i know that i have tosell it
no hauling work either
for now i willkeep the trailer but the backhoe will have to go
To coin a phrase from someone else, if your a "one trick pony" times could be tough right now. A backhoe, although versatile, is a one trick pony. The difference is large companies that do many things continue to keep their machines busy because of the various types of work they do, but owner/operator backhoes are finding a tighter situation. There simply are more guys with machines than there are jobs for them. Newer guys to the excavation market always start with a hoe and dump truck and understandably so, but as a result this type of work gets very competetive. It is hard to stand out when all the trees look the same. The other killer IMHO is how quick these machines seem to devalue. Regardless of the color, they sell for over 100K nicely equipped new and 1000 hours later are worth half that it seems. These machines tend to bottom out in the mid 30's to 40's however but still losing 60K in 4 or so years is tough especially in slower times.
you got that right yeah so im finding out work has come toa grinding halt around here
It's slow here too, not as bad as others are experiencing.
just posted my girl in the for sale threads 755B
Hi Jacob, hello from across the pond. Sorry to hear things are so bad in Scotland, heard the same from other european nations, perhaps after the change happens this November in the USA the brother nations will see improvements. We can hope. Good luck. note: maybe not a good thing to use non-family friendly language in your first post? :beatsme
Im not sure what the exchange from lira to USD is but we are up over $5.30 a gal for diesel here. the economy is in the dirt thats for sure. Maybe after the elections here things will swing the other way. this seems to happen during every election year but seems to be worse this time around.
Very Little Talked to septic tank supplier. Not moving much. One area had 70 permits going last yr this time. This yr----15. That's quite a difference.
Jacob: You think YOUR country is being ground into the dirt nose first? You trying doing something around here if you aren't BEE compliant! I think diesel is only cheap in the land of fairies and trolls. We pay R11 for one litre, and you pay around R13 for a litre (equivilant)