Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe elevation issues?

Elijahweller · 2026-04-26 10:48

I recently purchased a 78 case 580c backhoe loader. The previous owner had it parked for a couple years before I bought it. It seemed to run strong there, but when I got it home it bogs down under load. I'm wondering if the elevation change would make a difference. He lived at around 1,000 ft and I live around 5,500. Could that be my issue? I replaced fuel filters and it seemed to make it a little better.

Replies4
  1. #1Shimmy12026-04-26 11:08

    I'm going to say that 4500 feet of elevation change will be noticable on a naturally aspirated engine.

  2. #2KSSS2026-04-26 11:58

    The data I saw says you lose about 15% at 5000' verse sea level. The 580C had 50 hp net, so at 5000' you actually have 42.5 useable hp. The 580C weighs about 12500 pounds. So yea I bet it absolutely feels unpowered.

  3. #3Elijahweller2026-04-26 18:17

    I'm not as familiar with diesel engines, but is there a way to compensate for it? I know on carbureted gas engines, the jets can be changed to account for it.

  4. #4KSSS2026-04-27 23:21

    Sure, add a turbo. That's how you get passed the elevation. Even by changing the jetting, or electronic fuel injection, elevation takes a toll on NA gas engines as well. If you live at elevation, you really need to find yourself a turbo charged hoe.