Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe gear oil mess

bkj110 · 2021-04-20 20:47

Case 580B I use at home, so minimal use & lots of sitting in Pennsylvania. Oil was drained/replaced spring last year, nothing terrible then, just old and some moisture. Standard issue 80/90 gear oil. I’m in process of splitting and found this mess, seems to have separated & the yellow dropped out/jellied. I’m thinking the pinion seal is letting shuttle oil in? I’ve been wrenching for almost 30 years and have never seen this, but this thing’s older than me

Replies8
  1. #1mg23612021-04-21 05:44

    Welcome to HEF bk ! Yuk!

  2. #2Vetech632021-04-21 08:18

    Kinda looks like my wife's banana pudding.

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-04-23 09:14

    Is the rubber boot on the gear shift missing ?

  4. #4Coaldust2021-04-23 12:21

    Hello new guy! Vetech63 nailed this diagnosis. You gots the banana pudding.

  5. #5bkj1102021-04-24 17:14

    It's not missing but more than likely not water tight, if new ones exist, I'll replace it. I split the tractor (needs a shuttle rebuild), the manual shows a double seal arrangement on the transmission input shaft but there's only one in place. It seems pretty old/stiff, no obvious problems though. The rest of the cover gaskets all looked good. When I drained the shuttle oil out to troubleshoot the very soft reverse, it was full of water too (front shuttle cover had no gasket or RTV). Thankfully enough this machine won't be sitting in the rain in a few months.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-04-24 19:25

    Gona build a shed for it ? That boot should (hopefully) be available from CNH. I had a crappy one once and I was amazed how much water had gotten in the transmission.

  7. #7petepilot2021-04-24 20:45

    we have a 460 Ih tractor factory fork lift. gears are whining in it` a check of the oil shows it to be full but i suspect it has water to` has sat outside for the past 7-8 yrs

  8. #8bkj1102021-04-27 20:19

    Yeah, putting a lean-to addition onto the side of the shop so it'll at least be out of the rain. If lumber doesn't come down in price, I may just build the frame out of steel, it'll probably be cheaper