Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fill Rite 12 volt pump for 2, 55 gal barrels.

emmett518 · 2021-03-28 06:52

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I did not see a fuel forum, so I posted it here. I need to set up a refueling system for the new backhoe that is due to arrive. Ideally, I'm looking to store 100 gallons, as that is the minimum that my local dealer will deliver. I do plan to add biocide and anti-gel to keep the fuel stable. Also plan on putting a spill pan underneath in case of a leak or barrel rupture. A home heating oil tank would be great. I could install a level gauge, a fill pipe, an "out" pipe, and a vent. But I don't want to keep 275 gallons of diesel around. It's too much for my needs. 100 gallons seems ideal. I could fill the 275 part way, but that would leave a ton of air space over the fuel which seems like a problem. I hoped to use metal, 55 gallon barrels. Actual diesel tanks for pickups, job sites and the like seem expensive. Since there are only two bungs on a 55 gallon barrel, I'm not sure how to equip each barrel with a vent, an "out", a level indicator and a fill. I hoped to mount the Fill Rite on the wall, and plumb the tanks with black iron pipe. Any ideas how to make this happen? Even if I did one pump for each barrel, I'd still have to remove the pumps every time I wanted to refill the barrels.

Replies8
  1. #1Coaldust2021-03-28 15:38

    The Buyers HBF12 hydraulic vent works good on a drum.

  2. #2emmett5182021-03-28 15:41

    I decided to install an electric Fill-Rite on my home heating oil tank. I have spare bungs, and the vent, fill gauge, and fresh fuel is already there. Further, the tank is always inside a heated cellar, and I don't have to worry about a shed, power, foundation, or anything else. Problem solved.

  3. #3Coaldust2021-03-28 15:48

    In my world, can’t have a fuel drum sitting on anything but containment. Not sure what regulations cover that, but my customers yell at me if I use a drum without containment. These plastic things do make a nice platform and easy to move drums with a lift truck.

  4. #4Coaldust2021-03-28 15:49

    Excellent!

  5. #5old-iron-habit2021-03-28 21:20

    In most places it is still legal to burn non-biodiesel in off road equipment. Ask your supplier for the real diesel and 90% of storage and old fuel issues go away. If he doesn't have it check around, not all venders carry the non-bio.

  6. #6emmett5182021-03-29 07:43

    Just called. My heating oil supplier does not use bio diesel.

  7. #7emmett5182021-03-29 07:44

    Makes good sense. Wondering why home heating old systems don't use such things.

  8. #8Coaldust2021-03-30 22:10

    Home Heat is ULSD1, so it doesn’t fall under ASTM D975. I don’t think it gets blended with bio, anywhere. But, I could be wrong. Sourcing 100% dyed off-road ULSD2 with no bio, is possible, but hit or miss depending on your location.