Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe Log Splitter Attachment

Scout_1969 ยท 2010-08-24 09:40

I am looking at putting a log splitter on my JD 310B. I have seen some on youtube and other sites that use a bunch of cables/pulleys or the outrigger with a wedge and one with a typical splitter minus the engine and running gear. Here are some options: >Something attached to the thumb and/or bucket. Just my idea. > A shear like used on a large excavator so I don't have any plumbing. Found a picture of a homemade one on the web once, but can't find it now. >Splitter run off the hydraulics, that is like the typical ones minus the engine and running gear. This is on youtube. I'd like to get some ideas, experience and maybe pictures. I would also like to build it myself or with help.

Replies4
  1. #1oldseabee2010-08-24 13:41

    Some Backhoes have an extra spool in the loader valve for a 4 in 1 bucket. That could be used for a splitter, otherwise you could tap into any circuit not used when you are splitting, using two diverter valves to feed the splitter. Try Tractor supply or Northern Hardware for parts to build the splitter.

  2. #2Scout_19692010-08-24 15:27

    Mine does have the 4 in 1 bucket. So I can look at connecting to it, as I won't have to use the 4 in 1 feature while splitting. Ideally, It would be nice if the thumb option would work, as I could use the thumb for other uses and wouldn't have much to change over, but I'm not sure if it has enough power. Thanks osb

  3. #3pietru2010-08-31 10:15

    I would love to see pics if you ever build it

  4. #4Mountainlion2010-12-18 10:08

    I saw the quick disconnect fittings for the backhoe on my 1972 580 b ck so I figured that would be a high volume connection. I have a splitter with at least a 6" cylinder that high volume would be needed. I think that that it might be a low pressure cylinder so I have to be careful.