Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310 SG

TERM101 ยท 2010-08-23 21:12

Ive got a John Deere 310SG with the electric parking brake. We were using it on a job one time and one of the guys was running it around in 4WD and it got really hot and forcing trans fluid out the fill pipe. Now the parking brake applies itself every once and a while and is a pain is the a@@ it get it off. Seems to me if you dont use the brakes in reverse that you dont have as much problem out of it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies8
  1. #1D&GExcavating2010-09-20 13:02

    Well i'm guessing that when you turn the machine off, the next time you start it up the parking brake is on no matter if you set it or not?

  2. #2cutting edge2010-09-21 00:17

    You're low on trans fluid,which is also used to release the brake. There was an update way back on the dipstick to let pressure bleed out there instead of forcing it and some oil out of the breather. You're welcome.

  3. #3JackDeere2010-09-22 00:19

    Clean the vent on the top of the transmission. Located on the top to the left. You can see it if you look in from the left side of the engine, however there is usually dirt that obscures it. Thermal expansion will cause oil to blow out of the dipstick tube. Clean around the vent and remove it, using a 7/16 wrench or 11mm, and run the engine and check the oil level in the transmission.

  4. #4TERM1012010-09-23 22:20

    Sorry guys, ive been really busy. Yea ive already done all of the above. It takes spells and hasnt been doing it much lately. John Deere couldn't figure out what was causing it. However, lately it seems to be doing a little better and not coming of quite as often.

  5. #5Firehawk2010-12-29 15:09

    Very helpfull information, anyone know if this applies with the 210's as well? I have been thinking it was the switch or solenoid...

  6. #6JGS2010-12-30 09:38

    This must be a common problem with their backhoes. I have a 2005 410G that is experiencing the same problem with the parking brake. I am also experiencing an intermittent problem with the activation switch for the backhoe pilot controls. As of yet I have found no solution to these problems. Any ideas would be welcomed.

  7. #7bim.rowley2011-09-15 20:50

    I have a 310E. The tractor would shift into neutral and the parking brake would come on by itself. After checking the solenoid, the parking brake sensor, the relay, etc. I found that the transmission was low on oil. Apparently if the parking brake or service brakes or the differential lock leak, the fluid goes from the transmission into the rear axle. I had to drain about 1-1/2 gallons out of the rear axle to bring it down to the right level. I will keep running it until it becomes more apparently which brake piston is leaking.

  8. #8bim.rowley2018-05-27 07:25

    Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? We changed the O rings in the driveshaft to the rear end that I thought would solve the transmission fluid going into the rear end. But that did not help. It is happening more now than before. With light use it leaked 1 to 2 gallons of transmission fluid into the rear end in a couple weeks. We know it is low on transmission fluid when the parking brake starts coming on when you are driving.