Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe no-go.

Neon Andrew ยท 2020-04-11 12:18

I have a Case 680e Construction King '74-'78 When It's warming up it won't move. After it's hot it still takes a few minutes to start pulling. I'm not sure if it's the torque converter or the clutches. It does the same in forward or reverse. When it does roll it seems to slip also. All the hydraulics work fine. I did have to replace all the fluid and bleed all the circuits last year. I can see in the case parts site there is a spring loaded filter at the bottom of the clutch. If I pull the filter is it refilled by the hydraulic pump? There doesn't seem to be a filler bolt anywhere. and no dipstick. Thanks for your input! - Andrew

Replies13
  1. #1alrman2020-04-11 18:00

    Welcome to HEF @Neon Andrew The filter at the bottom of the transmission - is the suction screen. The shuttle transmission uses it's own oil supply - totally separate from the hydraulic oil supply. If you remove the screen - all the oil in the shuttle will drain out. According to the parts book the shuttle does have a dipstick - it should be located on the LHS of the machine near the engine flywheel housing. If you don't have enough oil in the shuttle - the machine will have drive problems....

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-04-11 20:01

    Welcome to HEF, Neon Andrew !

  3. #3Neon Andrew2020-04-11 22:37

    FOUND IT! But no dipstick. It looks to be not available from Case - Any idea on a measurement so I can make one? Also Oil- I see a thread saying 10w-30 or AW 32 will work? Thanks

  4. #4Ronsii2020-04-11 23:36

    Here's a part number.

  5. #5Neon Andrew2020-04-11 23:48

    The site says no parts though."No related parts available"

  6. #6Ronsii2020-04-11 23:49

    part numbers can be handy

  7. #7Neon Andrew2020-04-11 23:54

    Hi Ronsil- L35677 I'll call my local supplier on tues. and see. Any thoughts on oil type? 10-30 or aw32 ok? It is an old machine that doesn't get used much or go very far.

  8. #8Tinkerer2020-04-12 07:52

    Please read the instructions I posted a little closer. It specifies TCH oil. Aw 32 is OK, if it has friction modifiers in it. There are ways to make a dipstick if you cannot find one at a dealer or salvage yard.

  9. #9Neon Andrew2020-04-12 12:06

    Thanks Tinkerer - I'll get TCH. Case site says Dipstick not available. As I said I need measurements for a dipstick.

  10. #10Tinkerer2020-04-12 14:59

    If you completely drain the shuttle and the torque convertor and then refill with the 12 quarts of oil that would be the full level. Then you can experiment with a dipstick out of any thing that will reach past that level. Or start searching salvage yards for one. There are a lot of 680E's being parted out.

  11. #11Nige2020-04-12 15:19

    AVSpare and AVS.parts both seem to have aftermarket dipsticks available. Needs an account to get prices. Maybe someone who has an a/c can have a look for you.?

  12. #12Neon Andrew2020-04-12 19:00

    Thats a good idea.

  13. #13Neon Andrew2020-04-12 19:01

    Ok Thanks- I'll call around on tues