I do not have much use for either during the summer months, but need a machine for snow work. It will have to be able to push a 12' snow pusher and stack and load some snow. I just figure that if I have a backhoe I might find occasional use for it during the summer months, but wheel loaders are made to push and load. Basically the perfect snow machine. I am guessing the wheel loader would hold up better for pushing and loading. Normally we only use skid steers, I have my eye on two machines one new holland backhoe and one hyundai wheel loader. Which would you guys prefer?
Welcome to HEF bullit340! It would all boil down to just how much you would use a backhoe in the summer. For pushing and loading snow a loader would definitely be your best bet. Now for myself, a backhoe would be my pick as I would plan summer work for it as well.
our 580 super M works great with a twelve foot snow pusher.
Hey Reuben, is that pic #2 across the street from where you demo'd the burnt building? Looks familiar! As far as backhoe or loader there are several things to weigh out. The loader is more maneuverable, but is less versatile. The hoe gives you more of an option for work in the summer, but wont get around lots as well as the loader. Also you have that hoe hanging out there in the back. I use both, but we only do driveways, so usually our machines are just out for pushbacks, or to bust open roads in big snows. I am a lot more cautious with the loader, cuz when your stuck, your screwed if you can't get your self out. With the hoe I tend to push the limits a bit more because as I like to say "you have a built in tow truck"!
its only a block away
thanks for the quick reply and pics. I guess I really don't have much use now for the backhoe as we mostly use skid steers in the summer months. If we ever need something dug I just have it done with a mini-ex. If there is not much difference as far as snow performance I guess I would rather go with the backhoe, which gives the option for some year round work. It seems way more versatile. The bucket on the hoe is 1.3 yards and the loader is like 1.5 so there is not much diff as far as loading snow. Do you find that with the case 580 you can not push back without loosing traction? Can you stack and push back as well with the case as you might with a wheel loader? How about visibility between the two? I found that the new holland hoe had much beter visibility than a cat and deere. I actually thought it was just as good as the hyundai wheel loader. What would yourather run for 12+ hrs straight?
I've used both to plow snow and I do prefer a loader, it seems to be better balanced... Mind you, on the backhoe we replaced the bucket with an angle blade so it was pretty light up front and it tended to bounce a fair bit... But having the backhoe was handy for reaching in between buildings and clearing out the sidewalks/walkways (as far as you could reach anyways, and straightening out a sign I backed into)... The loader sure moves a lot of snow fast! My personal preference is the loader but either should do what you need it to do, and like others say, a Backhoe would be more versatile in the summer...
I like a loader personally. The loader was very handy for me in the summer as I did some site stripping and could hire trucks easier as I could load the big trucks. A TLB is very useful too, depends what kind of deal you could get on one.
I can pull back very well and pile very high,as high as it will reach
I prefer the loader for snow. but backhoes do the job to and you can use them in the summer. my vote would be for the loader if you didnt plan on trenching with the hoe in the summer.
Either or, but I prefer a backhoe because I can use it in the summer. We have a 14' pusher on our 590 Super M.
I would go loader myself. Up here in NH we get alot of snow so we have a good idea whats going on. I work at a Cat dealer and we tend to rent more small loaders for the winter use than the hoes. The hoes are ok but pound for pound a loader is better I think. In the summer alot of landscapers rent small loaders too so keep that in mind. It would be better if you can rent the loader all summer than use the hoe once in awhile, better investment return for the wallet.
use a 555e nh with a 14' pusher. hoe over loader if you could have only one.
if all you want is a snow buggie dont leave out ag tractors, they will out push a backhoe, and you can run a sander on the back 3pt. They are also pretty reasonable price wise. Also if your planning on using the front end loader part alot, nh lb115 is a good choice, 4 wheel steer, 4 wheel drive, and large tires. Avoid a 2wd hoe like the piggie flu, and check the price of tire chains for either machine.
wheel loader would be my recomendation. i use one for plowing in the winter and love it
Wheel loader all the way, if you're doing 99% snow, it's the only way to go. I've worked for a Contractor that does tons of snow removal, and they own like 4 tractor loader backhoes... NONE OF THEM go on snow removal. EVER. They're useless in comparison to a 950 or 928. I've never ran a TLB with a snow pusher, though. I have run 930Hs with snow pushers, and could see a tractor backhoe getting a bit squirly with a big 'ole snow pusher. Not to mention the potential for "hotshot" operators damaging property with the rear boom on a backhoe... happens all the time I hear... there goes your profit...
A 4x4 TLB with a snow blade is very effective for plowing snow.I don't ever remember backing into anything yet although I am sure it has happened somewhere.Ron G
Yup, so true... I was driving truck for a company in Whistler and they hired a guy to run the backhoe. His first job of the day was clearing snow. He was whizzing around this new development at 100 miles an hour... I went and dumped my load and when I came back there was the backhoe sitting in front of a minivan with the nose all pushed in with an imprint in shape of the backhoe dipper and two (very beautiful) young ladies not looking very happy yelling at the fellow... This was maybe an hour into this guy's employment with the company. He was given a ride back to his car at headquarters and persuaded to move onwards...
I've done a fair bit of snow removal with both machines, I would say I am a fan of backhoes for it. We built 10ft power angle blades for our backhoes about 6yrs ago. We just made up special harnesses that slipped into the bucket like a snow pusher does. Basically you curled the bucket all the way and disconnected the lines to the bucket cylinders with quick attached. Then slid the harness into the bucket and hooked the lines up so you could angle the blade. We had great success with them. A lot of guys in our area use small 65hp farm tractors with 16ft snow pushers and with the first wet snow they are done for. I always popped my back bucket off for the night when I was plowing, never hit a thing with the hoe. We also had the biggest baddest snow pushers in the land.... may I present.... the Versatii
Wow can you say OVERKILL lol
No overkill was the 855 Vers with the 12ft blade....lol
thats what i was commenting bout lol
Those aren't 855's, those are just baby triple nickels.....855's are muuuuuch bigger lol
my bad never looked at the number on it just thought that they are overkill for urban snow clearing. pushing out well sites tho they look like they would be good for that
No, they are Versatiles.... perhaps one of the most ignorant tractor to run for snow removal... well second maybe to a 2-155 White.
I once used a drott rubber tire hoe to clean a parking lot cause the loader was broke and he had no money to rent one or to fix the loader . I would have killed for one of those no matter how ignorant they are to run lol