Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fort Mcmurray where to stay?

reaper020 ยท 2009-10-04 13:19

I am going to be heading up to Fort Mcmurray soon an I was just wondering if anyone knows any campgrounds that are still open or somewhere cheap to stay while I look for work. Also if you know anyone hiring up there please pm me any info would be appreciated. I will be in Edmonton in a couple of days and looking for work there also. If anyone has tips on who is hiring for excavator, backhoe or rock truck postions. please pm me I need to get back to work asap, and i will be new to the area. Thanks

Replies35
  1. #1reaper0202009-10-06 18:37

    99 views and still no sugestion that sucks.l I will be in fort Mc mcurray at the end of the week or early next week. hope some one has some suggestions.

  2. #2upnover2009-10-06 19:23

    Did you try the major players web sites for jobs? I just checked the Suncor site and they have an opening for a heavy equipment operator. Also try Sureway const, Thompson Bros, Cow Harbour, Wilsons, L R Enterprises. I dont know of a cheap place to stay and as for campgrounds when I went through last week the one on the South end of town looked full. Good Luck

  3. #3ben46a2009-10-06 20:22

    Camp grounds are a thousand a month. Theres a new one at the top of supertest hill (8 mins past McMurray on 63) on the Petrocan Sag-D access rd. Rooms in town are 700-1000 a month, and thick wood or timberlea are the best places to look at they are on the north side of the athabasca river. Another Place to look for a job is Syncrude and Crossterra (formerly cross construction)

  4. #4ben46a2009-10-06 20:24

    Also, KMC (Klemke Mining) and CNRL.

  5. #5reaper0202009-10-06 20:58

    Thank you all for the info so far I'll let you know if I get any work up there. Glad to finally see a few posts.

  6. #6cummins052009-10-06 22:08

    I stayed at the twin pines hotel. if i remember right it was bad but i did have a few girls looking for work knock on my door a couple times if you know what i meen. its cheap by fort mac standards but its clean and you have your own door and its only one stop light away from the main road out of town to the mines

  7. #7reaper0202009-10-06 22:52

    Thanks 05cummins. thats all i need somewhere inexpensive to stay.

  8. #8swampdog2009-10-07 00:14

    If you want a place for a little longer time, check the housing listings on kijiji. Or place your own free ad looking for a place to stay. http://fortmcmurray.kijiji.ca/f-housing-W0QQCatIdZ34

  9. #9dsichewski2009-10-07 01:04

    Hey...I've been looking for a heavy equipment operator job for a little over month now after working on fixing heavy equipment for the past 3.5 years...While I can't apply to most of these companies due to not having enough experience, Hopefully you will be able to get hired on at one of them! Here is a list I have compiled: *Klassen Brothers -http://www.klassenbrothers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=58 *Suncor - www.suncor.com *Syncrude www.syncrude.com *CNRL www.cnrl.com *Contour Earth Moving -http://www.contourearthmoving.com/index.html *KMC Mining - http://www.kmcmining.com/content.php?ID=25 *Tercon (based out of BC but has done work in fort mac) http://www.tercon.ca/index.html *Flint Energy - https://flintenergy.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job_details.php?reqid=7306 *Sureway - http://www.sureway.ca/career_opportunities.htm *Ledcor - www.ledcor.com *Shell - www.shell.ca *Tri-Gen Construction - have job posting on http://www.arhca.ab.ca/careers/employ.aspx for nothern alberta with a camp job... http://www.tri-genconstruction.com/main.html *North American Construction Group -http://www.nacg.ca/ *info mine - www.infomine.com *golosky - www.goloskyenergyservices.com I traveled to Fort Mcmurray in 2007 and stayed at The Sawridge Inn (was about $200 a night).... I took a tour of the discovery center and of Syncrude (what a sight!) Good Luck in your search!

  10. #10reaper0202009-10-07 03:15

    Thanks very much dsichewski there are some good links here. and thank you to everyone else that have been posting it will help me alot when i get up there.

  11. #11dsichewski2009-10-07 09:18

    No Problem...Were all here to help each other! Good luck in your search! Just remember....once you get a job...get me one to. haha

  12. #12liebherr11602009-10-07 20:02

    If you haven't worked in Alberta before you will require CSTS cert ,and OSSA ..get that as soon as possible...like the first day possible There's a couple of places in Fort Mac..just ask anybody.. ..think both will run you a little over 100 bones ...keep the receipts for taxes .. Not to smack the Mac ..avoid the 7/11 ..Get to Tim Horton's before 6 am , Its gonna be hard to get ..but if you can get a camp job ...food and lodging is included , A good score would be LOA( living out allowance) ..that's a $120 bucks a day ..on top your wage's and a free bus ride into the site from town some camps have a bar ,other's its BYOB ,most are dry ..not that it matter's but don't go back to a dry camp if you have had a beer ..if there's a check point or gate ..security well have you removed the next day . Avoid Millinium camp ... its old ,food sucks , 8 shower's for 50 guy's,room walls are paper thin ...common air ducts in the furnace ..one guy gets the flu everybody gets it ..between the whore's and drug's ..it can get a little irritating CNRL ..not a bad camp ..but you dang near have to fob just to use the wash room ..on an average day you can swipe your fob 14+ times..just getting to and from your room to work and back at the end of the day .. Syncrude Camp ..Ive heard mixed reviews ..but all in all not a bad camp .. As a side note ..PTI camps ... Albion Sands camps .. 5 star ..Pti goes through great lenghts ..Albion ..bar none the best .. If you have some skill's best to check in with all the union's ..never know they may just need a guy like you ..not to mention ..its a big union town ..Syncrude use's union labour ,Suncor when it has to ,Albion ..alot of union ..some none union ..CLAC is not a union ..in a true sense ...but the payscale they offer is unreal in some case's ..dont lie about your skill ..Comming on Christmas time ..beware of anything that your told .. but be ready for a layoff ..and it can come at 7 in the morning .. 2am ..Had some co-worker's get their notice to get out a 4 am ...so be ready for that come Christmas time ..Thats extreme ..but it has happened ... If you score a non union gig ..dont breath the word union ..you and the others your talking to if it gets picked up on ..may find youselve's on a bus back ..out ...Its also called a lay-off ..with no return date ..Rare ..but can happen if the chatter is getting to loud or fequent Need anymore info shout it out

  13. #13reaper0202009-10-08 09:28

    Some very good info thanks liebherr1160 I have a few questions so i sent you a pm I am in Edmonton now and Heading to Fort Mcmurray this morning.

  14. #14ben46a2009-10-08 22:35

    Howd you like the snow on 63 today? Winters settlin in early i figure.

  15. #15reaper0202009-10-09 19:23

    ya the highway was a little slick

  16. #16liebherr11602009-10-10 13:23

    how was yer first day in the Mac??? hope ya got to Timmy's earily...

  17. #17reaper0202009-10-12 18:03

    I am currently in Grande Prairie I will be looking for work here on Tuesday. I plan to be up in Fort Mcmuray by thursday. First trip didn't work out had to turn around part way there for a job Interview in Calgary. Getting lots of miles this week. I will be in Fort St John tuesday afternoon until wednesday.

  18. #18HoJay2009-10-12 18:30

    If your in GP, you should check out Dechant construction. I think they got the ring road for GP.

  19. #19NL1CAT2009-10-17 06:38

    Maybe 2 late .. but if you're in GP maybe drive by Grande Cache. I think GCcoal is hiring people. :drinkup

  20. #20cummins052009-10-23 01:33

    Any updates on how your doin

  21. #21reaper0202009-10-29 22:53

    yup got updates, sorry i haven't had internet. I have been working 12 hours a day seven days a week in Fort St John. looks like i will be busy here for a while. I never made it to Fort Mac everytime i tried to leave i got diverted for a job interview. not bad for a week of looking and a couple thousand miles on the expedition. got offered a few jobs but this one seems to be the best fit for now and I have lived in fsj before so i know the area. will see how things go for the winter alot of work is depending on how things go after freeze up. thanks again for all the info I will put it to good use one day when i make it up to fort mac. and maybe we helped someone else outlooking there as well. I here there is a big demand for electircians up in fort mac I no a guy up there that is looking for several. Anyways take care all i will probably be back on here in a few weeks when i get internet

  22. #22CarolynRyan2009-11-07 15:07

    Hey Thanks for all of the info you guys all put on here. Really hope someone can give me some leads on something. I was actually just up to Fort Mac in September to see what I thought of the camp scene. Well, I have decided that I absolutely need to get a job there that will give me fly in and fly out and a camp. I can actually do a fair bit of things, drive rock truck, some experience with a tandem in a pit. Tool Crib, did this on a pipeline job, loved that job. Service/Tool truck as well on the pipeline. Also managed a hotel for several years. My big question is when would be the best time to be there. I think most of the companies are in Edmonton that hire for Fort Mac? Two girls coming and we are going to drive out from NB. Not sure if we should go now or wait until after Christmas as i hear alot of places layoff for Xmas. Also heard K2 or Kiewit is starting a big project in Kearl Lake, anyone know it thats true?

  23. #23liebherr11602009-11-07 15:33

    Wait till after Christmas.. theres supposed to be an anouncement or series of annoucment's regarding Voyaguer,Albion ,and CNRL ....and it looks as though the trigger may get pulled on the Hebron project to the tune of 3500 men to start in the spring ...right here on the east coast ..

  24. #24upnover2009-11-07 18:33

    Read the Fort Mac paper this week when I was up there and Thompson Bros. was looking for rock truck jockeys, hoe operators and triple 7 drivers for anyone who is looking.

  25. #25Wolf2009-11-08 03:53

    what's going on up there that there is so much work and activity in Fort McMurray. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but it seems like a boom town. Really?

  26. #26CarolynRyan2009-11-08 07:36

    Thanks for the info What do you mean Right here on the east coast? Are you saying that Hebron may have a project here. I did hear there was going to be another pipeline going through the Maritimes in the near future.

  27. #27Grader4me2009-11-08 08:18

    Hi Carolyn! Welcome to HEF :drinkup Nice to see another NBer on here. Good luck with your quest.

  28. #28liebherr11602009-11-08 10:46

    Yeah ..Back'ome in NFLD ...Phase one of the first GBS i supposed to start ..Not to mention everything else ..

  29. #29Burnout2009-11-08 12:05

    There are 3 or 4 barrels of oil around Ft Mac and i hear a rumor that oil is worth money these days. All of Alberts seems to be a boom town, not so much over the last year but work is picking up again.

  30. #30liebherr11602009-11-08 15:43

    Theres 1000's of cubic kilometer's of black goo sitting in the ground up there ...

  31. #31CarolynRyan2009-11-08 19:02

    Thanks Grader4Me Only going to head Alberta way after Christmas, will go to Edmonton to start the search, it appears most of the offices are there. Are you working in McMurray? If so, Where?

  32. #32Grader4me2009-11-08 19:57

    Nope, I work here in NB

  33. #33swampdog2009-11-08 21:15

    Alberta did slow down with the drop in the price of oil, higher royalties imposed by the provincial govt, and the general recession. Lots of construction projects in the Calgary and Canmore area went into receivership in the past year. Alberta's gov't ran a deficit for the first time in many years. The slowdown extends into southern B.C., at least into the Columbia River valley area. Things seem to be rebounding somewhat though. Northern B.C. (Ft St John and Dawson Creek), northern Alberta (Grande Prairie to Ft Mac), and most of Saskatchewan are enjoying a relative boom - at least compared to most of the rest of North America. Oil, uranium, potash, coal, diamonds . . . It's nice to have things that the rest of the world wants! By the way, GO RIDERS!!!

  34. #34928G Boy2009-11-09 11:23

    Good to hear things are picking up out there in AB! TONS of road work will be starting up here in Winnipeg next year... We will be busy, not quite Alberta busy... but still pretty darn busy. -Centreport way (2 rail overpasses and a cloverleaf on the perimeter HWY) ($125million) -Disraeli Bridges replacement ($200 million) -Year 2 of construction for Stage 1 of Winnipeg's rapid transit corridor ($138 million total cost including expensive land purchases, about 20-25 million was already spent on construction last year) -Chief Peguis trail extension (Probably around $100 million with the Rothasay overpass) -Twinning Inkster (Unknown $$$?) -Rehabilitation of Hwy #1 east of Winnipeg (They spent $60 million this year, they might spend another $60 million next year from what I've heard.) -Redo of Hwy #1 through Headingly (11.3 million) -Cloverleaf at Kenaston and Bishop, extending Kenaston to perimeter Hwy (Over $60 million) -A little bit of work on Route 90 around where the IKEA is going (small job that will lead to a bigger job in 2011) And that's all the big jobs I can think of in Winnipeg in 2010... I might be forgetting a couple, but that's a lot for one year in this little city.

  35. #35Danison2010-11-20 01:54

    Re Fort Mcmurray is an adventurous city surrounded by the most beautiful landscape in the west. Fort McMurray is home to mountains and ponds/lakes and a variety of wildlife to be enjoyed. The city also ranges in industrial organizations, from farming to computer analyzing. Fort McMurray, Alberta is a great place to vacation and get involved in outdoor activities!