Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe outrigger do not retract completely

Elton Futadore · 2021-07-21 22:59

Escort Construction, DigMax II backhoe imported from India. Escort JCB was a joint venture and they separated. My backhoe has only 320 hours and the right outrigger does not retract completely (need 6 inches to go up). I was thinking to be a small problem but who knows?! Maybe build too much pressure and do not retract completely… Can I disconnect and connect one of the hoses to release the cylinder pressure? or create more problems? Any suggestion will be helpful.

Replies8
  1. #1_Weldman_2021-07-21 23:19

    Sounds like low on hydraulic fluid, check that first.

  2. #2Swetz2021-07-22 07:14

    Or perhaps a bent rod?? Can you hear the machine trying to make pressure when you are trying to retract the cylinder?

  3. #3JDT44302021-07-22 07:16

    There are a couple things I can think of that could possible be an issue. On some hydraulic circuits there are some type of check valves that are designed to keep pressure on a cylinder so that it does not retract in the event of a hose busting, for example outriggers on a crane and could be possible that your outriggers on your back hoe are equipped with some thing of the same nature but it seems that it wouldnt go up at all if it were not functioning properly. The other thought that comes to my mind is something has come looses eternally in the cylinder which is acting as a stop in side the cylinder.

  4. #4John C.2021-07-26 11:35

    You might look for a dent in the cylinder barrel as well and pull the hydraulic filter looking for debris.

  5. #5Delmer2021-07-26 11:58

    looks like that is the European style stabilizer that goes straight up and down, could be dirt built up inside the frame preventing it from retracting. Also, much less likely to bend or dent the cylinder than American style folding outriggers. You shouldn't need to do anything to the hydraulics, there is no "phasing" or such. Does it raise at all? or just extend? if it extends, and retracts under the weight of the backhoe but not lifts, then I'd think the piston seal is blown, or piston fell off.

  6. #6Txhayseed2021-07-27 01:08

    If the other side is working correctly I would flip my hoses on the function manifold. If the problem follows the circuit then you know its a hydraulic issue. If it stays with the same cylinder you can isolate it to that particular cylinder. Might also check your function lever and make sure your getting full stroke on the outrigger up stroke.. Does it sound like its maxing out and starting to bypass when you retract it as far as it will go and hold the lever ? Also with the weight of the machine down on the outriggers is that side bleeding off and not holding the machines weight ?? Like the others guys said you might have lost the piston nut and going down is no issue since the piston stays seated but gets cocked with upside pressure. The hose flip method would tell you right quick if its a cylinder issue.

  7. #7Elton Futadore2021-07-30 00:19

    Both outriggers are working perfectly up but down do not retract completely. The right outrigger was not retracting 6 inches. I disconnected the alarm and used the backhoe for few hours. The left outrigger was squicking when retracted and later the alarm warned me. Now both outriggers do not retract completely. The left outrigger does not retract 2 inches and the right outrigger does not retract 8 inches. I thought about an internal leaking in the right cylinder ram… but both outriggers for 320 hours of work ??? Thanks for all tips given. The stabilizers are European style, going straight up and down. I will check for debris on the left outrigger and try to reverse the hoses. When I retract the outriggers those are making noise or build pressure after getting stuck. After few hours of fieldwork, I turning off the engine and hear some high pitch hissing noise in the engine area. The next day I turned on and off the engine without touching the hydraulics, and there was not that hissing.

  8. #8Elton Futadore2021-08-03 07:34

    Looks to be the were pads. I do not have an idea about the location and how to check them.