Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe prices at auction

Phil ยท 2008-06-05 20:04

A chap was telling me recently that he went to a richie sale in Maryland and they were practically giving them away. He bought a JCB with 250 hours on it for $20K and brought it back to Canada. I think he said there were over 75 backhoes there and the cats with 500 hours on them were selling for $25K . Then I understood he got it floated for $1K, a 9 hour drive one way, not to mention customs. Did I here this right ? Phil

Replies18
  1. #1skata2008-06-07 00:53

    where can i find deals like these?

  2. #2rino14942008-06-07 06:04

    Well, I would give away a JCB too. I think you have been mislead. We go to the all of the RB auctions in Northeast, MD. The prices there are up. My one friend is a dealer and he mainly deals with backhoes and he said that he couldn't touch them. There are alot of exporters there buying stuff up. We talked to RB and they said that on average, 30% of equipment is now going overseas.

  3. #3Phil2008-06-07 06:27

    Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling I had been lead down the garden path. Phil

  4. #4Kgmz2008-06-07 23:41

    Here are the results from the last Ritchie Brothers auction in MD, I really doubt if any of these only had 250 hours. And it appears most of them are old rental units. 2002 JCB 217S 4X4X4 LOADER BACKHOE SLP217FC2U0901000 Apr - 2008 USA-MD 26,000 USD bkt, cab, extendahoe w/Q/C bkt, aux hyd *United Guard Warranty is available for purchase thru United Rentals on this unit. Additional information available in office* 2003 JCB 215 4X4 LOADER BACKHOE SLP215TC2U0901000 Apr - 2008 USA-MD 31,000 USD bkt, cab, extendahoe w/bkt, aux hyd, *United Guard Warranty is available for purchase thru United Rentals on this unit. Additional information available in office* 2000 JCB 214S 4X4 LOADER BACKHOE 900000 Apr - 2008 USA-MD 23,000 USD bkt, cab, extendahoe 2002 JCB 214L 4X4 LOADER BACKHOE SLP214TC1U0901000 Apr - 2008 USA-MD 30,000 USD bkt, cab, extendahoe w/bkt, *United Guard Warranty is available for purchase thru United Rentals on this unit. Additional information available in office* 2002 JCB 214E LOADER BACKHOE SLP214TC1E0496000 Apr - 2008 USA-MD 20,000 USD bkt, canopy, hoe bkt 2002 JCB 214 4X4 LOADER BACKHOE SLP214TC2U0901000 Apr - 2008 USA-MD 25,000 USD bkt, cab, extendahoe w/bkt, aux hyd, *United Guard Warranty is available for purchase thru United Rentals on this unit. Additional information available in office* 2002 JCB 214 SERIES 3 4X4 LOADER BACKHOE SLP214TC2U0901000 Apr - 2008 USA-MD 30,000 USD bkt, cab, extendahoe w/bkt, aux hyd, *United Guard Warranty is available for purchase thru United Rentals on this unit. Additional information available in office* 1990 JCB 1400B LOADER BACKHOE 14BN20603575000 Apr - 2008 USA-MD 8,500 USD bkt, cab, hoe bkt

  5. #5joeeye592008-06-16 18:48

    Yeah the deals are sure out there.... but someone like me that has no way to win a nice one at an auction thats far away can bring it home myself, because shipping back home would kill me in price..... I found out after paying full retail for my hoe the guys I bought it from got it at an auction in NJ, and the people I got it from only painted it and then retailed it to me.. when I figured this out that I could have become familiar with the auctions I was pretty upset... the guy didn't even change the oil's being they were in real bad shape... and of course I had to have rear tires put on.... And I even took a long time looking for my backhoe before I bought one I liked, I guess with time we learn where to buy them because the typical home owner's machines I was looking at was complete garbage...

  6. #6salopez2008-06-18 07:22

    Yep I got the 214s for 23 at that auction. comparables were about 40k. I am happy and shipping was only 400 bucks...

  7. #7buddy6052008-06-18 09:17

    Auction Results I was wondering if there is a place I could look up results from Richie Brothers auctions.

  8. #8ncbschzzt2008-06-18 09:22

    http://www.rbauction.com/index.jsp

  9. #9bobcatrg2008-06-18 09:30

    Go to www.MachineryTrader.com . On the left side lower area of the home page there is a link to auction results, I think?? I also believe the RB website also has a link. Machinery Trader actually sends out a large catalog in Jan and July with the previous 6 months results from all over the world if you subscribe to their paper. I get it free. Very interesting to browse but difficult to judge without seeing a general photo of the machine. It seems to me some of the best bargains go through www.IronPlanet.com . They have auction results also with photos. Good Luck

  10. #10surfer-joe2008-06-18 19:03

    Had to laugh on the comment about giving away the JCB, my first thought was that somebody paid someone else to haul it away!............ I never understood how they could claim to be the best selling TLB in the world.

  11. #11CM19952008-06-19 08:01

    Iron Planet has an online auction today with a handful of TLB's. Check the results at the end of the day, it will give a good indication of national prices.

  12. #12gxer982008-06-21 15:29

    I just recently discovered this forum so I would like to say hi to everyone. I am new to the buisness although I have several years of experience operating equipment. I decided I was tired of working for the man so I am venturing off into the earthmoving buisness. Finding a dump truck and trailer proved to be relativley simple but I spent months trying to find a good deal. Most of the small equipment dealers on euipment trader, machinery trader and so on seemed to be a little expensive. I traveled countless miles looking at different backhoes in the low $20's. I started seeing a pattern. Most of the equipment they were selling had state and county stickers on them. obviously they were picking them up at state and government autions for cheap and then turning them for a nice little profit. After searching for a while I discovered GOVDEALS.COM. You can get some good deals on that site and you bid online like ebay. Of course you will want to go see what you are bidding on first but I highly nrecomend it. I just recently won a 1997 JCB 215E III for $16,900 with 4x4, 4 in 1 bucket and extendahoe. The only problem it had was the left stabalizer arm had a leak which after tightening the hose fitting the leak stopped. I feel like I got one heck of a deal. The backhoe seems to have plenty of power and everything works well. I have already put it to work on my property and I am quite pleased. I have noticed that JCB's are not very popular here. I hope my new purchase will not be as much trouble as some of the members make them out to be. I guess I will have to keep a close eye on it. With me just starting out the last thing I need is a bottomless pit to be throughing money in.

  13. #13CM19952008-06-21 15:32

    Welcome to the forums gxer98!:drinkup

  14. #14eRay2008-07-05 21:52

    I bought a New Holland LB75B on eBay. It is a plain Jane ROPS 2 wheel drive but was only one year old with 240 hours on it. I got it for $32,000. It was a one owner used on a farm. That is about $20,00 less than I could have gotten a new one for. I know a lot of you commercial users frown on New Holland, but I only needed one to clear a 2 acre lot at the lake and rip rap 500 feet of shoreline. Since I knew absolutely nothing about backhoes, I had to buy a newer model to be sure I was not getting one with major problems. I bought it for about half the cost of a Case or John Deere with 240 hours. I have run it 150 hours now and am in love with it. When I finish at the lake I may bring it home to drive around town. eRay

  15. #15CM19952008-07-06 09:58

    Welcome to the Forums eRay!:drinkup Congratulations on your purchase, seems like you did very well. Yes, NH would not be my first choice of a machine to make a living with, however it seems to be a good machine to accomplish what chores you have for it around the lake. You should be able to use the machine for what you need it for, put several hundred hours on it and get most of your investment back when you sell it. Or you could bring it home and drive it to work.

  16. #16eRay2008-07-06 11:55

    So far it has performed perfectly. I realize the New Holland is an " entry level " machine, but it works out great for me as I am definately an " entry level " operator.

  17. #17skidrowe2008-07-10 16:10

    This is my first attempt at this forum, I live in the midwest Rapid City SD, this place is booming. I went to a RB auction in Denver to buy a cat 426b backhoe , total piece of junk. I ended up flying to New Hampshire and getting a 1996 426b with 4300 hrs,for 25000 plus 3000 for shipping. It was still cheaper than anything around here. It was well maintained and runs great.

  18. #18CM19952008-07-10 20:14

    Welcome to the Forums skidrowe!:drinkup I have been to Rapid City a few times, nice town.