Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe purchasing advice

Roddd ยท 2015-08-25 15:55

Well, I've been doing a lot of reading here and think I've learned a good deal (with a lot more to learn still!). What I like about HEF is I think if 5 members respond, they probably have a cumulative 80-100 years of experience with equipment. So, I think of you guys as the heavy equipment brain trust. If y'all would be so kind, I'm considering purchasing a used backhoe to work my property. I'm thinking I'd like to clear about 20 acres of chaparral brush on both flat and rolling terrain, along with knocking over some old oak and pine trees and using them for firewood here and selling some as well (I'm not looking to become the next firewood millionaire, rather just a hundredaire to buy diesel fuel). I'd also like to be able to level out a semi flat pad of decomposed granite, and set up some land to plant a nice lawn. I don't plan on running a hammer on the hoe, but being able to rent an auger attachment in the future for more post holes would be nice. This backhoe will be for my personal use, as I'm just a weekend warrior. I've located a used Cat 430d with about 5,600 hours, priced at about $37,000. It's an open cab, 4x4 with extend a hoe and an MP front bucket, which I believe may be a must have. I don't know the history of the machine, but from the pictures it looks to have the original paint on it and serviceable tires. When I indirect it, I'll look for repairs made by the previous owner. My question to the HEF brain trust is this: is 5,600 hours on a Cat machine too high? I figure I'll put about 1,000 hours on it before I resell it. Is there anything in particular I should be looking for during my inspection? It's at a Cat dealership and I suspect it may have been one of their rentals, or maybe a trade in. I haven't called them yet cuz I'd prefer to speak to them with as much knowledge as possible beforehand. Also, anything else you guys have to add would be priceless to me. I'm hoping I can get a try before I buy type of deal with them, and I'll certainly ask for it. So, is a backhoe really for me? I believe it is, as I've been weighing this decision for quite a few months. What should I be looking for? Should I budget for a machine with less hours or will the 5,500 hour Cat do the trick? I know equipment breaks, but I really don't wanna sink thousands into a new transmission or anything else. Thanks in advance, I can't say how much a novice such as myself appreciates the wealth of information available here.

Replies6
  1. #1bdog12342015-08-25 21:01

    I am far from a backhoe expert. I have a small M59 currently but am in the market for a larger machine myself. You can find lots of them out there with half that many hours in the same price range. Seems high for the hours to me.

  2. #2Desertwheeler2015-08-25 22:28

    5k hours doesn't seem bad as long as it's been maintained.

  3. #3bdog12342015-08-25 23:26

    I don't know anything about this particular machine but a quick search on machinery trader pulled up a 430d extended hoe 4x4 with cab and 2500 hrs for 33k. 5000 hrs isn't necessarily wore out if cared for I have seen 15000 hr machines my point was I think that price is high for that many hours

  4. #4Roddd2015-08-26 10:43

    Thank you guys for your responses. I've been checking machinery trader, but I missed that one bdog put out. I'll keep looking. I'll have to make a list with comparable specs and see if they can come down on price. I'd prefer to pick up a machine locally, but am not opposed to traveling a reasonable distance for a good deal.

  5. #5El Hombre2015-08-26 14:00

    Buying from the dealer is almost always the most expensive option; private party is the way to go. Plus you get a better idea how the machine is being used, no iron from paving companies that use the front bucket to smash into the pavement edge. That just tears them up. The ones with yards of welding on everything; avoid those.

  6. #6Roddd2015-08-26 15:49

    Thank you El Hombre. I'd imagine the machines digging through asphalt can get pretty well trashed. As for as private party, I would ideally but from someone that could give me the history of the machine. Anybody have any helpful hints on securing financing for heavy equipment?