Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe Research: Help with a survey

digster ยท 2008-04-16 18:19

Hey guys, I working with a team of students at the the Savannah College of Art and Design. We are involved in a research project that is sponsored by a major equipment manufacturer. This is your chance to effect real change and make you opinions heard. So please fill out our short survey. We appreciate your time and responses. Just click the link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=UwRiyLSEv_2fv_2fnQx2SapFng_3d_3d :usa P.S - If you anything to add related to the survey or topics discussed in it please post it here. Thanks

Replies19
  1. #1bear2008-04-16 20:10

    engineers? Any engineers on your panel? Just wondering I'm a mechanicasl engineering student myself. Hope it goes well.

  2. #2digster2008-04-16 20:14

    We don't have any actually but it would be nice for later stages. Thanks

  3. #3JCBgm2008-04-17 19:26

    Hmmm.... Major manufacturer..... Savannah..... Can you say Pooler, GA.......

  4. #4JS580SL2008-04-17 22:13

    I took the survey, whats the info going towards?

  5. #5bear2008-04-17 23:44

    Are you guys mostly concentrating on the asthetic more than practical or trying to do a little of both? Sounds like a fun project. Good luck Good surveys by the way Being a little more specific can ruin or make one, you have a good balance and should provide plenty of information.

  6. #6digster2008-04-18 10:05

    As part of my contract I can't really say anything. But it's your basic user research. Thanks bear, some questions are design to give us more quantifiable-opinions/experiences while other more quantitative-stats.

  7. #7Preppypyro2008-04-18 10:45

    I filled it out but it wouldnt let me choose my provice in canada, so I just put North dakota haha.

  8. #8digster2008-04-23 14:16

    Hey guys, if anyone is still interested in filling out the survey we would still like your input. Thanks!

  9. #9Burnout2008-04-23 14:41

    Can I say who the survey is for since I have no affiliation with your team? BTW... I also just got a lovely care package from the manufacturer in question because I did so much complaining about their product at a certain construction show.

  10. #10digster2008-04-23 14:50

    I think that would be ok... What exactly where you complaining about and which model? What did they send you in the care package? New parts perhaps or just a fruit basket?

  11. #11JS580SL2008-04-23 16:33

    Must be for JCB?

  12. #12Goat2008-04-27 11:12

    This is exactly par for the course for JCB. Instead of focusing on changing fittings from BSP to ORFS, or improving the fuel efficiency, or providing a reasonable thumb offering for their extra-dig, or changing the wiring harness to color coded and labeled wires instead of all yellow, or increasing the thickness of chrome on their cylinder rods, or changing the pumps from gear to variable, or adding lights to the ROPS/FOPS structure, just make sure that the customer knows the color of the yellow and has a warm fuzzy about the brand. Mis-guided effort leading to future mis-direction of the company. Well done.

  13. #13Burnout2008-04-27 12:51

    Ahh I forgot about this thread. Yes it is for JCB, one of the other guys doing the survey confirmed that for me. My complaints about JCB wer basically everything between the front bucket and the rear one. About the only thing I like about their product is the exterior mirrors, but even they hit you in the head when you get out of the machine. I too wondered why a company that supposedly is number 1 in the world would focus on aesthetics of their machine instead of standardizing it with the rest of the industry. The 3CX I was on for awhile this winter was only a year old, that stupid thumb switch for the E-Hoe didn't work have the time, the boom lock never worked, the E-hoe was beyond shimming to make it tight again, the hoe controls were always finicky, the spool valve for the loader was garbage so the bucket would curl up by itself, the seat was uncomfortable and didn't sit high enough in the cab, chrome exhaust was browning, the hood was fading, dash was coming apart, 4x4 didn't work OH YEAH and it had about as much power as a 1987 JD 210! In my care package they sent me some new brochures on machines... oddly enough 2 of the brochures weren't even current lines! They also sent a lovely letter saying that "your input is valued and thank you"... bla bla bla. I complained about some problems we had with Cat equipment at the same show and they have called me back twice as well as a factory rep talked to me for almost 2 hours at the show to figure out the problem. As much as I do not like Caterpillar for some of their products at least when you come to them with a concern they give you the idea they care. They might not, but its better than sending you a letter that basically says "thanks now pi&% off!"

  14. #14digster2008-04-27 12:56

    Goat, As I said before this is a student project... and as such we don't know all of the ends and out of a backhoe but we try. This survey was designed to give us a board spectrum of opinion of the market. If we were trying to improve fuel efficiency we wouldn't have created the survey. But knowing that you need it enables us to tell someone that you do. We have a question on the survey intended to give us the detailed (functional) information much like what you have just given us (Q3) and we encourage anyone else to elaborate on the questions. So thank you.

  15. #15JS580SL2008-04-27 14:06

    It dont matter the good machines are a thing of the past. I think 2000 had the best backhoes. Deere 310SE's and Case L series 2. All brands have to much plastic and dont hold up as well as the old if you ask me.......... Either way I still would'nt buy anything but a Case or a Deere.

  16. #16digster2008-08-23 12:44

    Thank you for your help with this survey. The student team which created the survey will be conducting research in Canada this September. If you participated in the survey and live in the Toronto area we would really like to hear from you. Please message me if you are interested, Thank you again and we look forward to hearing from you.

  17. #17digster2008-09-02 17:53

    Just a reminder!

  18. #18Ol'Joe2008-10-11 20:54

    ...

  19. #19Bellboy2008-10-12 09:16

    They won't accept my input. they keep telling me to tell them what state, but I cant change to my state. Kwa Zulu Natal.