I'd like a bigger backhoe - right now I have a sub-compact tractor, Kubota BX25D - but I have no financial justification for a larger backhoe. I have just under 3 acres and, by trade, I'm a computer programmer, not a construction or earth-mover. My son-in-law recently bought a Case 580 backhoe at auction for just a few thousand dollars. Trouble was, as expected, he spent more time working on it than using it and ended up selling it (without asking me first, darn-it; I'd have bought it). My thought is to buy an older backhoe and spend even up to a few years restoring it. Afterall, restorations are being done in just about everything you can imagine. I just don't see many restoration projects even on sites like this one. Are there a lot of folks doing older tractor restorations? If so, I'd love to see pictures or links to pictures. Thanks Dale
Find a 580 Super K or 310 D Deere. Get something decent that needs a little TLC. The neighbors will love it.
If you plan to do this, make sure it's just for your own pleasure. It's very unlikely you'll get the value of the time and money you put into a machine back in the machine's new value.
Dalepres, I have a few photos of a complete paint job of my JD 310D. The paint was after replacing all cylinder seals, some worn pins and bushings and several other repairs including replacing much of the cab sheet metal.
Great job!!! Love your tractor!!
Nice, she looks brand new.
Nice pictures, Deon. Very inspirational. Steve, it is just for my own pleasure. The days are past that restoring a 69 Charger or Road Runner has appeal to me but a tractor could be fun. I've been scouring the net for a good candidate 580K. Here's a video I found that shows about as extreme of a restoration as I could imagine and it works when he got it completed. https://youtu.be/rhgVt8VVNZQ
I was planning on doing a full restoration on a Case 580SL or 590SL when I pick one up. Ill do it to an M if I can afford one when the time comes. Id love to bring either one back to the shape they were in off the dealership lot when they were sold. Was also thinking of doing the current Case decals off the Tier 4 N Series hoes, I think that would look pretty sweet. Saw a 580SE that was for sale a while back that was fully restored with N Series ddcals and it looked F'n sweet, an untrained eye wouldnt be able to tell that tractor was made in the 80's.
I would have more fun in an old rusty souped up rat rod than a shiny restored 55 Chevy. My old Dynahoe aint no fast mo fo but I'm not afraid to get in the dirt.
I'm happy if my dinosaur runs and operates like it should. But I digress... What was the subject? Oh ya, backhoe restoration. Would be nice if it looked brand-new. Even found a place to get decals, but thats a long long way down the road.