Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

backhoe shopping input

FordBroncoDave ยท 2016-01-24 21:30

I sold my case 580 and I already had a sum of money set aside to get a much newer upgraded backhoe. I have narrowed down to a few machines.. John deere 310, D,E,SE,G,SG models and JCB 214 series 3 or newer Pros/cons and input needed. Only 1 deere construction dealer in town as well as 2 JCB in the whole state. I am seeking a machine with closed cab and 4x4. Not interested in anything else however i can do without the cab for a newer model. Never seen a jcb work but the local utilities have all switched to them or deeres

Replies27
  1. #1Tinkerer2016-01-25 06:22

    You live in Minnesota and would buy a machine without a cab ??? If there is a John Deere dealer in the same town you live in, then a JD is probably your best choice.

  2. #2Bill Smith2016-01-25 06:58

    It would not matter were I lived hot or cold I would not be without a cab .Think about running your machine for several hours in the baking sun or just moving snow in freezing cold , never mind the rain . It would be John Deere or Case . With JCB The British engineer things so different . I had a British car once and it wasn't a good scene .

  3. #3FordBroncoDave2016-01-25 15:40

    I figure a cab would be nice but they are alot of maintenance. Anyone know that the differences are between a jd 310e and se? Differences between 310d and e series? Deere construction dealer is 40 minutes away which not a big deal for me.

  4. #4Tinkerer2016-01-25 15:50

    I have had a cab on mine for years and the only maintenance is cleaning the windows and blowing the dirt out of it. Without a cab you will have maintenance on the seat, wiring and eventually the gauges. I am not familiar enough with John Deere's to offer any help on the differences in models. Sorry

  5. #5Deon2016-01-25 20:35

    Cab is a must in my opinion. Rather have an older machine with a cab if that's all I can afford. If you just sit in a 310D or E/ES and then sit in a JCB of the same era, you will see a huge difference in the visibility. I boroughed my friends JCB several times and I found it awful blind always stretching to see where your going. Also the hundreds of tinny yellow wires make it a nightmare to trouble shoot any electrical problem. Yes, every wire is yellow and the same size. The steering takes about 6 turns (so it seems) from stop to stop, Deere is 2.5 turns. They have solid frames and feel solid behind the wheel but very clumsy and parts are more pricey. The Deere 310D and 310E look very similar. The E has a newer drive/transmission system and newer type loader and backhoe boom. The SE is faster and more powerful than the E. I realy like the door on the D and E. It's really easy to get in and out of the cab with the door up front. Your not hanging of the side to get in like every other backhoe. But the door post just left of centre of the windshield takes some getting use to but visibility on both sides of the bucket is the best available.

  6. #6FordBroncoDave2016-01-25 22:13

    Thanks Deon! I looked at a 310D and I really liked it. Everything checked good from what I could check but it seems the owner really prolonged fluid changes. I say this by what the hydraulic fluid looked like and the gritty stuff on the trans stick. Nice machine, no leaks and well greased. I did notice one brake was softer than the other. Same pressure applied but not stopping the same. Special question you might know, did the later 310d come with just an hour meter and no tach? Every picture i have seen they have red/green tach/hour meters

  7. #7Bootheal2016-01-25 22:55

    I would like for you to include (at least consider) a cab and extendahoe and 4x4. All so very useful. Good luck.

  8. #8Deon2016-01-26 06:12

    No hr. meter? Maybe just a basic model. Is it 4x4 with extendahoe? Gritty oil may be from the worn brakes if you checked the transaction oil. Is it the left pedal that's weak? Most guys use that side the most so it wears out first. Does it have an hr. meter? How many hours are showing? Don't like the dirty/gritty oil. If the dirty oil is in the hydraulic tank in front of the windshield then leave it there for sure.

  9. #9D Grade2016-01-26 16:15

    Just curious, but why did you give up on Case?

  10. #10FordBroncoDave2016-01-26 22:54

    I want a regular plain hoe only for transport weight reasons and hoisting material. 4x4 would be nice but its extra weight. Deon, the backhoe I looked at was a late model 310d with only an hour meter in place of the combo hour/tach. Owner said it was original from factory and swears by it but none of the other 310d had the same that i have seen. My case 580c nickle and dimed me so much i could never take it anywhere. Always something broken. I had it for 3 years and it never went anywhere. Way too many leaks and repairs needed i just don't have time for. I was good at repairing it but time was not on my side. Needs to be working to make me money

  11. #11hosspuller2016-01-26 23:45

    Point about Deere Dealers. Any Deere dealer can order any Deere part. If you have a Deere AG dealer close, they can order any part for you. Many Filters and such are common between construction, AG and L&G. The only issue is stocking parts. Naturally the Deere Construction dealer will stock more particular parts for your backhoe. I have a Deere Construction dealer close by. I have them bring in parts for my AG tractor and lawn mower in their regular stock order. No shipping charges then.

  12. #12Tinkerer2016-01-27 06:27

    The same information is true for Case (CNH) dealers. They do have a small charge for overnight delivery though.

  13. #13hookedondiesel2016-01-29 06:42

    I'm a little bias here since i own a JCB 210, although I do like the Deere's. The 214S is a nice machine. Just to add on Deon's note's,, yes the wires are all yellow, but they all have their specific code number imprinted on them about every 2 inches of the wire, this makes it quite easy for identifying them,IMO. As for JCB dealers, we have one not to far from us BUT I have never used them,why, well because just like all the other dealers, they are way too expensive, I always ordered parts from ebay at less than half the cost. Deon, there must be something wrong with your friends JCB steering, having to turn the wheel 6 times sounds way off to me. On my 1994 JCB, I've had no major issues yet except for electrical, if I had to buy again, I would stay with JCB.

  14. #14FordBroncoDave2016-01-30 00:47

    Well I took a road trip to Missouri and bought me a 2002 john deere 310G. 2002 310G. turbo, standard bucket, 2wd, regular hoe, closed cab, 4700hrs ran very good, started great, fluids all clean. transmission drove well, went right in and went forward and reverse fast. brakes were the same, stops nice and each one holds at the same pedal depth. does not leak anywhere!!!!!!! all the pins are so tight!!!!! 4700hours the only things I could find wrong is that it is kinda rusty like its been outside since day 1 and never cleaned off. the headliner is missing the vinyl and the front steering has very minor almost no play in the bushings. I spent a little over budget but in the long run it was a better decision to get a newer machine.

  15. #15Deon2016-01-30 07:31

    A 310G, wow, that's very good. Much more advanced than the D or even the E. Well rust is not nice to look at but it won't stop it from running and not too many hours. And you can repaint it if you have patience and time. Please give us some photos.

  16. #16Canadian_digger2016-01-30 08:10

    The G series are great backhoes. I had many of them. Never any major problems. One small problem that seem to keep happening is the small spring for the fuel pedal return would break. Not expensive to fix. Just a pain. The spring is located behind the plastic cover above the fuel pedal. I would keep a spare is stock for when it would break.

  17. #17Deon2016-01-30 17:02

    Canadian Digger, You are probably the guy that would know the differences and benefits of the 310 generations. If you were looking for a good used hobby backhoe, would you choose a 310SJ over a 310SG just for the new features, quality of build or pleasure of operation or would you just buy based on condition and price?

  18. #18FordBroncoDave2016-01-30 19:47

    A bunch of it was repainted like the wheels and loader boom. I will need to do some areas of the cab. This thing was so tight its like it was greased twice a day and idled alot

  19. #19FordBroncoDave2016-01-30 20:30

    anyone know of a owners manual or service manual download for the 310G? free or cheap?

  20. #20Deon2016-01-31 07:44

    That is a very nice looking Deere. You should be very happy with your find. Congratulations!

  21. #21Deon2016-01-31 07:57

    https://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/construction/non_current_products/backhoes/DKAGBHOE.pdf http://support.agadco.com/manuals/OMT191038.PDF I found this for you. Let me keep looking for the service Manuel. May not be available for free but you never know. If you have an ipad you can open these in iBook. Makes for much better viewing.

  22. #22Canadian_digger2016-01-31 16:03

    Deon. There is very little difference between the SG and SJ. They are basically the same. Cabs are identical. They did update the fuel pedal. Rear axle is different. I think around 2009 they went from tier 2 to tier 3. Both engines have been good so far. They operate the same. I would say if it's for farm use and the year of the machine does not matter. I would base my purchase on condition and price.

  23. #23Canadian_digger2016-01-31 16:07

    The things I would look for when buying would be pilot control and ride control. Those two options make the machine a lot nicer machine to operate.

  24. #24Canadian_digger2016-01-31 16:10

    Fordbroncodave. Nice looking backhoe. I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase. The Deere backhoes have serviced us well.

  25. #25Deon2016-01-31 16:11

    Found a service Manuel but it's not free. Although $40.00 is not bad. https://www.epcatalogs.com/john-deere-310g-backhoe-loader-tm1886-service-manual-pdf/

  26. #26Deon2016-01-31 16:16

    Thanks Canadian Digger, Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to upgrade someday. The most disappointing thing about my 310D is the lack of good brakes. It will always stop but you need lots of pedal pressure. Hope the G. and J are much better there.

  27. #27Bill Smith2016-02-02 19:53

    Fordbroncodave Nice Machine