I've been lusting for a backhoe thumb for years and finally decided to build one. I drew the plan up in autocad using a compilation of designs from different thumbs I've seen. When I get time I'm working on converting the 3D image to working and dimensioned drawings if anyone would like to build one similar to this one. I used heavy wall seamless tubing for the bushings and 2" CRS for the pins. Since I don't have a line bore and this is a budget project, I turned the pins for a .015 clearance. All the tines and support structure is 1/2" plate. I tacked it together with a MIG welder and welded the assembly with 5/32 7018. Photos show construction up to mounting on the dipperstick, I got busy and just had time to sandblast and need to paint it. My .pdf 3D drawing file was over 100kb. If anyone would like a copy I can email it to them.
Looks good . What did you use to cut the profiles?
Nice work.
Well done!
I have a plasmacam that can import drawings into from autocad. It is really not intended for a heavy project like this though. I bought a sheet of 1/2 plate that I had to cut in two since the worktable is only 4 x 4. My plasma machine max capacity is only 1/2" and on each long profile the machine shut down several times due to overheating.
Nice job!! get a bigger plasma machine might make more money with it then the Hoe
I only use the hoe ancillary to my main business, HVAC; primarily geothermal heat pumps. My main use for the plasma machine is making transition fittings and I also do some sign work. I'd love to get a bigger machine; have got to focus on the main source of income. Here's a photo of a cutout I made for a customer. Most signs I've seen do not have a backing and they are hard to read. I made a backing plate and painted it a contrasting color and it really pops.
Nice thumb. What part of Tx. are you in?
Cooke County near Gainesville
Hey Dig_Texas, Nice job on the backhoe thumb. This would be a great project. Please send plans. Sturgis
Got everything blasted and painted. I'm disappointed in the thumb color but it will be scarred up soon anyway.
Hey that would match my NewHolland Yellow :cool2 Just ship the thumb to me You can start over with a new one :lmao
That is a good looking thumb. Nice work
Nice work!
Great job Dig_Texas, on the backhoe thumb. This is what we've been looking for. Please send plans!!! Thanks!!! JL
Hi, great looking thumb! I'd like to have a copy of the drawings/file.... I have a JD 310c and have been looking into which way to go with building a thumb, or even customize something out there to work with... The thumb you made looks nice the way it's set up to be low profile when folded back out of use. Hows it been working for you? I dont know anybody who has one so wasn't sure if a wide or narrow thumb makes a difference on whats preferred? [email protected] Thanks, Joe
When I was painting the floor and all around inside the cab on my JD 310c backhoe it was impossible to match a color with whats on the store shelfs, nothing was even close. So what I did was unscrewed the round plate from the floor (the cover that hides the oil filler hole when putting oil in the rear axle) and I took it to the paint store (home depot) and used their computer eye to scan the color to mix a batch of paint to the exact shade/color..... of course the top side of the round plate the color/paint was worn off, but the underside still had a nice clean shade of Yellow I buffed so to use it, and that matched the rest of the machine fairly decent...... the one thing I forgot to do prior to going to the paint store was to figure out which kind of paint to get, such as semi-gloss? egg shell? flat? hi-gloss? so I ended up picking the wrong finish lol...., the color was right on, the finish was dull looking. But like with everything else it takes time before it began looking decent....
You have mail Joe. Drawings in the .pdf format are not dimensioned (I am not that autocad literate) but might be useful as a reference for you.
That looks awesome. Did you have any issues with the welds pulling?
I squared it up and tacked and braced everything in place first, then only stitch welded on alternating sides. I also have a big steel work table that I clamped it on for support.
I hadn't thought about braces. Thanks Dig_Texas.
Thats a very nice sign..., I say the best sign ever...! the letters won't wear away..., will never fade..., years down the road the plate behind it will always do its job with age... I like that set up...
There seem to be a lot of metal profile signs out where I live but the problem I had with all of them was that you could never see what it said or what it was a picture of unless you were really close. The difficult part (for me) was getting the 1/8" x 1" strip formed around the circle since this was a budget job and I didn't want to drive into town and have the local ornamental iron place roll it for me. I'm thinking about just cutting a buinch of strips and having them rolled so I have some winter projects. It's been to hot around here for welding (105 today) I'm trying to find a place to take the next one to get it powder coated; I've got a couple of new designs floating around
Yeah stocking up on the common design stock is always nice to have on hand. Oh yeah, powder coating must last much longer than paint. Hows your steel table set up for sign making? I don't know how deep you are into that being you said your focus is in other areas for your working income. Just wondering if you get into welding jigs on the table/bench and cut holes in the bench so to install pegs for heating and bending the metal signs and such? I figured you must have a nice setup. I can see what you mean about bending the circle, I'm not sure how thats done being I never seen it done, I would think if you were to bend a long bar stock around a half circle jig twice, then join the two half circles with another jig having the two half circles overlaping them to where you cut down the centerline for joining the two halfs..? I aways wanted to see the tricks of the trade lol... Like in the picture with that round sign, it looks like its a 2.5 wide by 0.5 inch bar stock, I can sure see where thats a hard job to bend that into a circle, then plasma cut the letters? I'm sure you make a hard job like that look easy.
This is one way to do what I am thinking you are describing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNjVZDvXy8
Yes I would like a copy of your drawings... you done a great job!!! you can email them to [email protected] thanks
Backhoe thumb Could you please send me your CAD drawings [email protected] Thanks
First time using this, could you send me the CAD drawings on your thumb, Thanks. [email protected]
Nice design on the thumb. I have an old 555 ford that i put a quick and dirty thumb on after a tornado tore up mom's place.I am currently drawing up a decent one to replace it. I would really like to have a copy of your design to get ideas from. I can use .pdf or .dwg would be even better. thank Kane [email protected]
Nice job, would you be able to send me the 3d file? Thanks in advance.
[email protected]
Copy of your plans I'd like to get a copy of your 3D file. Email: [email protected] Thanks in advance!
plans would you send me copy of plans . tring to make a thumb for my 410 g. yours looks great Email: [email protected] Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
Hey, Texas,how do you like your PlasmaCam.I would love to have one,just not sure which one is best.How much research did you do before deciding on PlasmaCam? What,in your opinion, are the pros/cons.And, if you don't mind me asking, how much did your unit set you back? Thanks!
Very nice job.
Can I get those plans for that thumb ? Thanks !
Would it still be possable to get a copy of the 3D and plans. I am about to build one here in UK. george . shaw @ gmx . com Thanks
Great job on the thumb. I need to build one for my 310D. Are those plans still available?
I would like a copy of your plans if they are still available. [email protected] Thanks
If anyone has these drawings I would appreciate them. Thanks in advance. [email protected]
Thumb Hi, I really like the thumb you designed, I just bought a JD 310sg extend and would like to make one for it. Could you please send me the plans, [email protected] I really appreciated it.
Hi I was wondering if I could have a copy of your plans for backhoe thumb
Hi I was wondering if I could have a copy of your plans for backhoe thumb , would be much appreciated, thank you [email protected] ,
Dig Texas, looks like you need to be in the thumb making business.
Beautiful work on both the sign and the thumb! Would greatly appreciate receiving the pdf. of the thumb plans. [email protected]
can you send me a copy thanks .
Not to just jump on the bandwagon, but is there anyway someone could send me a copy of these plans please? Thanks.
I have been looking for plans. Would you mind emailing them to me? Thanks!
Also looking for plans to make a scissor bite rock lifter to attach to bucket.
Sorry, email is: [email protected] thanks
Hey I was wondering if I could get a copy of the pdf file for the backhoe thumb. Thanks My email is [email protected]
Plans Looks awesome...if these plans are still around I would love to get a copy. [email protected] Thanks.
I was wondering if I can get a copy of your plans as well Great JOB [email protected]
Looks like you should be in the plan selling business lol
great job by the way and that is a hard color to match
Fantastic! I'd sure appreciate a copy of the plans as well! [email protected] Thanks!