Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Interchanging D-Rings and O-Rings on Code 61 Split Flange hose ends. -Caterpillar

621_Rocker ยท 2012-03-15 02:28

Is there any harm in using D-Rings when O-Rings are called for on Code 61 Split Flange hose ends for Caterpillar equipment (hydraulic system)?

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2012-03-15 08:16

    I think you will find theat as well as difference in the profile of a D-Ring vs an O-Ring the seal diameters are sufficiently different for any given flange size (1" for example) that they will not fit. Personally I don't like to mess with 2000/3000/4000psi hydraulic stuff like that because of the distater potential if it all goes wrong.

  2. #2John C.2012-03-15 20:19

    Someone refresh my memory cause I seem to remember D rings being used in Code 62 fittings along with the metal backed rings. Most of the machines I've worked on in the last ten years only use Code 61 stuff and the O rings are pretty standard.

  3. #3big ben2012-03-15 21:56

    D-rings are a lot "thicker" and you will have excessive protrusion if you install a d-ring instead of an o-ring. When you tighten the fitting down the d -ring will squish out around the edges and not allow the fitting to clamp down square and will fail in time. Just like if you put an o-ring in a d-ring groove and there is no protrusion.

  4. #4soicowboy2012-06-24 00:21

    Do not try to interchange o rings on hydraulic hoses and fittings that are not the proper o ring . It might work , but a blow out can be dangerous.

  5. #5CAT7932012-06-24 03:23

    I have seen cracked hydraulic control valves from doing that....

  6. #6Coondog2012-06-26 23:39

    If there was nothing else to use and I could it to the shop by doing it I would definitely utilize what was on hand. I have a hydraulic hammer mounted on a Cat 325 that blew a hose one time, i had the fittings and the hose on hand to build a new one. When the call came in on the radio I instructed the operator to take it off, all he need was and 18 mm wrench to loosen 8 bolts, while I crimped up the new one. He did as told and I did my end but could not find the right oring for the job, so I grabbed a d ring with the right od/id in case the old one was bad. Sure enough my operator had lost it. The hammer ran for 2 days with the d ring in it. Not the best practice but a good test if you ask me.