Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe/trailer question

Preppypyro ยท 2008-03-08 14:32

I have been looking for a pintle hitch trailer for my 1995 case 580 sk. I recently came across one for a pretty good price. The guy said it has 9000 lb axles, and its a tri axle. 9000 lb axles must not be very common right? Its a 20 foot. Thats my biggest concern. I measure my hoe and 20 feet is from the very front of the front bucket, to about 4 feet past the rear tires. I have seen alot of backhoes on trailers that were tied down with the rear bucket tied right down on the trailer. Im not sure if this length of a trailer would work for me, so any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. I would also like if some of you guys that have hoes, or move them around, tell me how you strap them down. Thanks!

Replies30
  1. #1NateV2008-03-08 16:24

    Is the whole trailer 20 ft or the deck 20 ft? Our deck is 19 ft and we have a 5 ft beaver tail that the hoe sits on. If the whole trailer is only 20 ft then id say its too small. As far as tie downs with the new laws now we put one over the front bucket, 1 on each corner of the machine and one on the hoe bucket. Before we would just put one over the front bucket, and 2 in the back by the out riggers holding each side down. I have a few pics but it might be hard to see. First is the old way of the Old K and old trailer. Then the new way we do it. The color might be off in the one pic since i tried to make it a little brighter.

  2. #2tuney4432008-03-08 19:20

    9K lb. axles are quite popular actually,but if it's a tri axle with 9K axles,that would make your trailer somewhere in the range of a 12 ton trailer. For a relatively light 580,you'd be getting a lot more trailer than you really need,but it would work fine.Are you sure it's not a tri axle with single tires and rated as a 9 ton trailer because that is usually the most common trailer for your hoe?As for binding--just what Nate said---transport chain--need 6 ties to run legal.

  3. #3Preppypyro2008-03-08 19:48

    Im new to the whole heavier trailers, so thats why I figured 9k axles werent common, I just understood that 10k axles were more popular. the guy i am buying it from hauled a paver on it so i dont really know what the trailer is actually rated at for tons. I think the guy said it had 8 bolt rims and single tires. I guess I need to ask some more questions! Nate you are the man, thanks a ton for the pictures. From what I understand the trailer is a 20 foot with 4 foot beaver tails. So it looks like it would be perfect.

  4. #4NateV2008-03-08 19:54

    Hey no problem and if its 20ft with the beaver tail it should be perfect like you said.

  5. #5tuney4432008-03-08 20:05

    I would definitely ask a whole bunch more questions because for one,I've never heard of 9K lb. axles with single tires.If that's true though,those tires will be huge,and if it's a deck over,the trailer will of course also be high,which will make your rig that much harder to load,especially on a hill. Pics possible?

  6. #6Kgmz2008-03-08 20:14

    I think he may be mistaken, most tri-axle single tire trailers come with 6,000 lb axles, and are rated as 9 ton trailers. The tires can carry a little over 3,000 lbs a piece, so that matches the capacity of the axles and equals the capacity of the trailer. We still have a trailer just like this but never use it anymore. It's a 1988 Eager Beaver B9 DOW rated at 9 tons and has the specs I listed above for axles and tires. Also has a 20 ft deck and 4' beaver tail.

  7. #7tuney4432008-03-08 20:41

    That's exactly what I was thinking--an Eager Beaver 9 tonner.Either that seller just doesn't know or he's trying to sell Preppypyro a bill of goods.

  8. #8Preppypyro2008-03-08 22:33

    Yeah he is going to try and send pictures as soon as he can, most likely tomorrow sometime. My woman was the one actually talking ot him when i was outside today, so there might have been some mis communication too. Seems like a tri 6k axle trailer would just be strong enough for the hoe right?

  9. #9Steve Frazier2008-03-08 23:03

    Have him send you a close up shot of the ID tag located on the drawbar, it will state the manufacturer's weight rating and should have an ID number that you can use to research the trailer.

  10. #10coopers2008-03-09 05:03

    That 580M is looking sharp!

  11. #11tuney4432008-03-09 12:49

    NO---women always get it right--it's on you! Yes,a 9 ton would be strong enough, but let's see these pics first to be sure.

  12. #12NateV2008-03-09 13:00

    A 9 ton isnt giving you much to spare though.

  13. #13Kgmz2008-03-09 15:45

    Actually the load capacity of 9 tons is about perfect for a backhoe or small dozer, since a typical backhoe of that era weighs about 14,000 lbs. Now the bad about these type of tri-axle trailers. You will have a lot of tire scrubbing in tight turns, and sometimes enough to pop a tire off of the bead if the trailer is not set up right. So make sure you set the hitch height so the trailer is level when loaded. If the hitch height is too high the trailer will pivot on the rear axle and slide the front axle sideways, or if the hitch is low it will pivot on the front axle and slide the rear axle. And other than flipping up those heavy ramps there isn't anything else really bad. Also make sure and weigh your load if carrying anything heavier than a older backhoe. You need to make sure you are getting enough weight forward on the tongue so that you don't get too much on the axles. Our trailer weighs about 4,600 lbs. or so and I can't remember how much of this weight is carried on the axles, and since the axles are way back quite a bit of the weight is carried on the hitch.

  14. #14LT-x72008-03-10 23:45

    I have a 9 ton trailer with two 9000 lb single wheel axles. It has 17.5" 10 lug wheels on it and the tires are rated to 4800 lb. I haven't had to put new tires on it yet but I'm not looking foward to it. You defently don't see to many around.

  15. #15Preppypyro2008-03-11 14:49

    Well the guy is on dial up, and cant get any pictures sent. I talked to him again and he claims its got 9k axles haha. And he also told me its a 20 foot deck with 4 foot beavertails and ramps. Its going to work for what I want it, and the price is cheap on it so will probably get it. I will keep you guys posted what happens with it though.

  16. #16tuney4432008-03-11 21:16

    Well,OK,but like I said,big tires,tall deck.I just got 16.5 tires for my trailer---special order,I had to go 200 miles for them.I'll bet 17.5's are even more scarce.

  17. #17JDOFMEMI2008-03-11 23:59

    17.5 tires are not as rare as you are thinking. That is whats on most of the low profile heavy haul trailers, like Murray and Cozad. They are common at any tire center for over the road trucks. Because of this, they tend to wear well, and last a long time on a trailer like you are talking about.

  18. #18LT-x72008-03-12 00:57

    Good to hear, maybe they won't cost as much as I was thinking.

  19. #19Preppypyro2008-03-12 10:07

    They are still fairly high in cost unfortunatly. I used to work at a tire shop about 3ish years ago, and they were costly back then, not too sure about the prices now though.

  20. #20Idigmywork2008-03-20 21:50

    One experiance I had with a triple axel trailer is I had a my 580M hooked to my single axel 1 ton pickup, I was turning of of a hard surface road onto a loose gravel county road. Once my rear truck tires left the hard surface and hit gravel, the triple axel (3 tires in a row) tracked straight and pushed my truck into a jackknife. I sold trailer as fast I could and bought a dual axel tandom and am much happier as it pulls easier.

  21. #21Preppypyro2008-04-02 12:30

    So here is a few pics of the trailer. I need to do some wiring on it, Im gonna throw paint and a new deck on it, and new tires on it. I think it should work for a few years untill I can find a dual heavy duty trailer.

  22. #22Wayne Jaynes2008-04-03 10:41

    I have a couple 10 ton and 12 ton tags for sale with 23 foot decks, actually 18 foot deck and 5 foot beaver tail. when you load it up drive on forward then drop backhoe down to beaver tail so your not over in hight. then use grade 80 chain and rachet binders. pay for the rachet binders now and you will be happy later. I won't us my old binders anymore.

  23. #23bear2008-04-03 16:20

    ratchet binders are the only thing i will use. had an old super try to get me to lug a jd 430h with boomers on it. i didn't leave till i had ratchets. almost learned the hard way why those are so notorious. before i got out of the gate when i first started had a smaller backhoe on and two of the things broke and another one flapped open after omly moving about 500 feet. they weren't worn out either about 2 weeks old and not abused.

  24. #24VEMWORKSHOP2010-03-11 12:00

    Backhoe Trailer Accessories I have acquired a 19' Deck/ 5' Dove Tail Trailer to transport my Case 580s and my Cat 416Es. My question is where my I obtain a suitable 12V winch to pull on damaged backhoes, and tie-down chains etc. as shown in the pictures.

  25. #25excav8r2010-03-11 14:46

    what size winch are you looking for?

  26. #26PSDF3502010-03-11 15:00

    Is that the truck and trailer combo you are using?

  27. #27JDOFMEMI2010-03-11 16:18

    I got one here: http://myworld.ebay.com/truck_and_winch They had a good price, and so far it works fine.

  28. #28Arabhacks2010-03-11 17:00

    Usa Hello. In the USA, buying chains and a winch are easy, we have plenty of options. In your case, due to the distance involved, you will want to local source this. Remember, a set of chains can weight well over 100 pounds.

  29. #29cat9802010-03-11 18:22

    i would reconmend a trailer that has airbreaks and dual wheels thats what i move my case 580se and my d4c and my johndeere 80c with never gives me a problem

  30. #30cgraham12010-03-11 23:08

    I guess you can do that in Iowa, but we have mountains where I live and that would be a good way to die! There is no way in hell I would pull my backhoe with a 1 ton pickup!