Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe will not move

Russell James ยท 2019-02-17 14:46

I have a case 580k backhoe and it will not move forward nor reverse. When moving the shuttle shift the shaft spins but still no movement.

Replies15
  1. #1alrman2019-02-17 16:00

    Welcome to HEF @Russell James The 4 speed is engaged? ..... many have been caught before...... Can you confirm either your machine serial number or tell us where the 4 speed gearshift lever is located - floor or console? There is a transmission change in the 580K series which makes a big difference to giving useful diagnostic assistance.

  2. #2Russell James2019-02-17 18:53

    The is engaged and the gear shift is on the console. Serial # JJG0020007.

  3. #3alrman2019-02-17 19:17

    OK, When you say the driveshaft is spinning - is that that with considerable speed? Can you hear each transmission cut out switch clicking properly? (at loader & gearshift levers) Is it a 4wd? If you engage 4wd will it drive?

  4. #4Russell James2019-02-17 19:32

    It's 2wd . When I engage to 1,2,3 or 4th gear the backhoe want move forward nor reverse. The driveshift does spin while running and speeds up while being towed. I had the valve repacked that's located beneath the seat (connected to shuttle shift) but still nothing.

  5. #5alrman2019-02-17 19:41

    When I asked if the driveshaft spins with considerable speed, I meant as it is simply while the engine is running & fwd or rev is engaged. Again, do the transmission cut-out switches located on the gearshift & loader control levers, 'click' audibly? Do they make a difference to the driveshaft operation when pressed? Raise the rear wheels off the ground, turn off the engine & rotate the rear wheels by hand - both sides should have resistance.

  6. #6Russell James2019-02-17 20:00

    Driveshaft does spin with considerable speed and the switch clicks when I engage it but nothing happens. When the tires are off the ground it have resistance.

  7. #7alrman2019-02-17 20:14

    Hmmm, Let's go back to the beginning. Did the machine suddenly stop driving? Was it driving then stopped for a while & not drive? Has it been taking longer to engage drive over a period of time & now no longer does? Who "repacked" the transmission control valve? Dealer? Someone with a background in transmission repairs? Do you have the tools & ability to carry out any pressure tests?

  8. #8Bls repair2019-02-17 20:14

    Check splines on yoke going into diff?

  9. #9Russell James2019-02-17 20:31

    While driving on the road I came to a stop sign, shift the shuttle to neutral and then put the machine in 2nd gear . When I shift the shuttle back to forward it felt like something came lose in it and would not move. I checked to see if something came lose on the shuttle shift but did not see anything . I noticed the shuttle shift rod hooked into the valve so I had Professional Hydraulics (Hydraulic Company) repack it hoping to fix the problem. In the past their have been times that I had to pull the shuttle a little more forward or reverse to engage.

  10. #10Russell James2019-02-17 20:40

    I have a mechanic coming bye this week to pull a pressure test.

  11. #11alrman2019-02-17 20:43

    When you shifted the shuttle lever into forward & something came loose - was that feeling in the lever or the drive? Does the FNR lever feel normal again now? There are only 4 x bolts that hold the transaxle to the chassis are they still in place? Any marks to show they maybe loose & the transaxle has moved? @Bls repair has suggested checking the driveshaft yoke at the transaxle, could it be stripped?

  12. #12Russell James2019-02-17 20:59

    After having the valve repacked it still feels like something is loose ( abnormal). I will check the to be sure the transaxle has not moved tomorrow and make sure the yoke isn't stripped. Thanks.

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2019-03-01 15:49

    I assume that the shuttle control rod is still attached to trans control valve. The early control valves had a shuttle valve that would come apart and lock shift spool in neutral. Worst case some of the early machines had a problem with ring gear bolt breaking also. Have you tried pushing the diff. lock pedal down to see if it would move then.

  14. #14Dave Neubert2019-03-01 18:38

    If the drive shaft rotates when you put the shuttle in gear it has to be in the trans axle striped splines on the yoke would be a good bet. if that is not it wile you have the shaft off put the transaxle in gear and see if you can spin the transaxle input freely or does it get tight and try to move the rear wheels an d try to engage positraction and see if it moves. If it had a broke axle it would drive with posi engaged

  15. #15Bls repair2019-03-04 19:31

    Russell find anything out yet?