Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe won’t move

GDT14 ยท 2022-02-09 11:07

2002 John Deere Backhoe won't move. I've not seen this machine yet, but am going to look at it this weekend. The owners said the engine runs good and the hydraulics are good, but it won't move foreward or backwards. I'm just wondering what I should be looking for as a solution, if anybody here has any experience with such a problem. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Delmer2022-02-09 15:48

    gonna need a model number, and serial number might can't hurt.

  2. #2JL Sargent2022-02-09 17:10

    A 2002 might be a 310E. Problem could be as simple as the clutch cutout switch stuck or broken wire in the gearshift. If the parking brake releases properly, that's where I would look first. If the parking brake does not release, then there's other issues at hand.

  3. #3GDT142022-02-09 20:00

    I forgot to put that it is a 2002 710 D. I dont have the serial number right now.

  4. #4Delmer2022-02-09 21:05

    2wd or 4wd? Try it in all four reverse speeds, and all eight forward speeds, and with the differential lock applied in all of them. Lift the wheels off the ground and see if they at least try to move. Check the transmission fluid level, check that the clutch linkage moves freely, doesn't stick or hold up. MG might be along and know if there's any electronics that affect that transmission.

  5. #5Coytee2022-02-10 07:07

    I know nothing about this machine but mine did this once. Turned out I had a loose wire on my forward/reverse. Soldered it back and I was off to the races. Just remembered, I had another event that doesn't sound like your issue since yours starts...but the negative on my battery had disconnected (I drained power so loosened so I could disconnect when not in use) Came loose and I had zero movement

  6. #61693TA2022-02-10 07:20

    Solenoid shifted reverser. Basically if the solenoid package is not getting either power, or a ground, it's not going to select forward, or reverse. Could be corrosion, but I'd look really close and ring out wiring on the control quadrant as these things live a dirty environment and can be fragile as they age. All that assumes the problem is electrical in nature. Usually a reverser ceases all at once when the problem is external to the transmission, or the transmission has catastrophic failure internally. You need to report back with more findings before usable, or useful information can be derived.

  7. #7GDT142022-02-10 09:30

    I'm going this weekend to check it out, so I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the insight. I hope it's electrical, because I'd hate to buy it and have to put a transmission in it.

  8. #8Delmer2022-02-10 12:04

    Is it? I thought the 710's were the 8 speed powershift that JD used from the 4010 to graders and log skidders and everything in between. And then added another clutch to make a 15 speed powershift. Not an oddball or an orphan transmission, but not your typical backhoe setup. NO TORQUE CONVERTER.

  9. #91693TA2022-02-10 12:07

    I haven't worked on one. Most I've seen do have solenoids for directional control so my post is based upon assumptions only.

  10. #10Delmer2022-02-10 12:11

    I'm not sure either, I've reached out to MG to see if he has anything to add. the 8sp powershift was used in backhoes through the 70's then into the 510, 610, 710, I think.

  11. #11mg23612022-02-10 12:17

    Depending on the serial number it has either the 4 speed powershift similar to the older 8 speeds, or it has a ZF 4WG-98.